1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Markieff Morris is one step away from the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Eddie Cecco, Feb 8, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, well, we're going to know by August or so.

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Given how tight Harden is with this dude, is there any doubt he will be joining the Rockets on a position of need?

I mean, the fact Morris hasn't publicly decided only works in our favor (think magic Feb. 21 day), is it not?

ryano2009 likes this.
  3. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Not to mention an asset that is guaranteed to be valuable and liquid in the future. Property values can decline, stocks can fall, professional sports teams are protected by leagues, especially in major markets. It's probably one of the safest assets with the biggest rewards if you don't meddle.

4. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

5. Fantasma Negro

ak99999, Deckard, BigMaloe and 7 others like this.
  6. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Yeah they are thinking GSW won’t have Boogie next year and maybe won’t have Durant either. Problem is pounding all these minutes on Tucker this season and a year older Paul makes this plan a little questionable.

topfive likes this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

True. It's all a gamble. But if a guaranteed route to a title existed, every team in the league would take it.

Except maybe the Knicks, because they're the Knicks. :D

hakeem94 and pbthunder like this.
  8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He was just cleared to play last night? He hasn't had much time to decide anything yet.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I think Morris is needed, badly. Unless JaMychal Green or another solid 4 suddenly gets bought out then Morris is 100% the clear choice, and any other player or position else will be a big disappointment.

We needed Austin Rivers and Kenneth Faried because players were injured, and we had no depth. If Gordon, Paul, and Harden were all healthy then there is very little chance that Morey/TF spend money and a roster spot on Austin. He'd probably be on another team. Faried was brought in due to Clint getting injured (it's no surprise he was bought out around the same time that Clint went down. Nets GM doing us a solid.) If Clint doesn't go down then Faried doesn't sign that soon. He may have signed later on (during buyout market season), but not that early. If anything, Houston probably chooses to try to reunite Gortat and Nene instead of going after Faried.

Markieff though? The roster is practically healthy with Clint being back after the all-star weekend. If he's signed it won't be because we're hurt, but because he will be a clear rotation player, even when everyone is healthy, who can give us 25 minutes and help PJ go from 35 MPG back to 27 MPG. Kieff would (unfortunately) be the best addition of the entire season if he brings what I think he will bring. Better than Rivers, Faried, and Iman. (Wow, that is very sad.)

If Kieff comes and brings us 10-5 on 25 MPG with 34% shooting from 3 then I will be very happy.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I think you hit the nail on the head here, but man if it wasn't a gut punch to read it.

Sanity2disChaos and topfive like this.
  12. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Chris Haynes article states Keef gonna decide by this week on his team

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Sorry if this has been answered already, but if we sign Markieff on the 21st (don’t know the significance of that date), what’s the earliest we can sign House for the rest of the year and stay under the luxury tax?

*Assuming Clint hits the realistic incentives.

14. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

1st day back after the break is the 21st. If he chooses Houston, they could easily sign him that morning and he play that night. Still fits the timeline.

No Worries and Deckard like this.
  15. Le$$

Le$$ Member

He's making his decision this week sometime per source.

16. Sanity2disChaos

So you’re saying we’re close.

17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Interesting take. I dont think the Raptors are going to be in play. Traditionally, it has been difficult for them to recruit sought after free agents given the tax implications and relocating across the border. Morris' situation is even less likely given that he'd be a bench player with the Raptors and is probably going to receive fewer minutes with them than either of the other two teams mentioned.

So to me, its between us and the Lakers. The Lakers have offer a few things that are no doubt more attractive than what we can put on the table: he will almost certainly start for the Lakers which means more minutes than we can offer. LA is also a more attractive location, better night life, and more visibility. Magic seems to be a strong recruiter as well and I suspect they have more money they are willing to put on the table for him (especially if they lose again tonight to the Hawks).

That said, I think we have a few things going for us. We are much better positioned to make a championship run than LA. The Lakers are also in disrepair internally, with infighting and whatnot. Plus, there's the Lebron factor and he's not a particularly easy person to play basketball with. If Morey and Co. are smart, they would choose to start him over Tucker - nothing against PJ, but part of our rebounding woes are just a function of size. Hustle cannot account for giving up as many inches as he does down low. Morris is about as good from 3 and overall better on offense than PJ and you dont lose a ton on defense, even if PJ is a better defender. I'm sure he'll be looking for playing time guarantees, and I think 15-20 at a minimum is a reasonable promise with a starting role and you have a guy who can start alongside Clint and make our offense and defense stout. Not sure he'll come to us, but this is my thinking.

BaselineFade likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It feels a little strange to me to be eager to sign the guy after the frustrations I remember us having with his brother, but he ain't his brother. We can really use him. I have the vibe that we'll end up with Morris. James will work his mojo.

whiskeyred likes this.
  19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Tilmans can't be choosemans.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Now this is an addition I am on board for.