1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: If Twin Towers don't work, Rockets may look at LaMarcus Aldridge

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 5, 2013.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Good summary!

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So how did Robin Lopez look tonight, people? Are the Blazers really "set" at center? While getting LMA is unlikely, when I think of Portland and centers, I always think of their decades long attempt to get a solid, starting 5 who's young, produces at a high level, and durable. In my opinion, they are still wishing they had that piece. Just look at their history. Lopez is not the answer. While we may not be a trading partner, and while LMA is very probably not on the block, I don't doubt that they would jump on a guy like Asik if it made sense to them, given their current team. If they are barely hanging on to a playoff seeding by the deadline, or not realistically in the picture, they might rethink their roster. They are one of the teams that wouldn't blink at Omer's balloon payment. Paul Allen is one of the richest men in America.

3. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Robin Lopez looks terrible. He can't defend Dwight.
    I think Asik is ok for Portland. He can be Portland C for many years
    If Portland can land a good PF or Trob step up they have a playoff team.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No.... Robin Lopez is not the answer for them at center. He looked much improved last year, but still, if he was the answer as a starter New Orleans would have never let him go in the first place. He's a very good backup IMO.

So would Portland jump on Asik???... absolutely. At the cost of LMA???... There is your problem.

If Portland is going to move LMA, they are facing a dilemma because without him, they have zero options in the halfcourt. Even as much as everyone loves Lillard, he's not yet a player you can run your offense through 95% of the time like a James Harden or Kobe Bryant. The problem for Portland is they have no real bigs to build around (unless anyone is holding out hope that Thomas Robinson becomes that guy).

So trading for Asik, I think they become a team that becomes very good at two things.... spreading the floor with 3 point shooters, and very good in the half court defense. Im just not sure that its worth it for them to upgrade their defense without a true franchise player on their team other than Lillard. At the very least, LMA plays the part very well for now... which is hard to let go I'm sure of.

So IMO adding Asik to their roster really only makes sense if LMA is still on the team. I think that if they are moving LMA Asik will probably have to go to a third team where Morey can send them pieces that make a little more sense moving forward... maybe a Larry Sanders, DeRozen, or Taj Gibson type coming back in a 3 team deal. Someone they think still has potential to grow.

5. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I saw the sticky and I was like Meh.... Saw it was Cyberx and I sat up in my chair.... Thanks for the 411

6. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

7. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

8. ktex

ktex Member

Honestly, LMA will be 29 in July, rather go for Love who is only 25.

9. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Agreed. They would love to have Asik over Lopez.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Meyers Leonard looks like Justin Bieber, they don't need Asik.

11. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Asik played better defense on Aldridge than Howard did...a surprise for sure.

12. Play07

Play07 Member

strech four please, we saw last night howard can be good in the post imagine have 4 3 point shooters around him, the lane always open for Gs to drive to score or dump off a pass to howard if the big tries to protect the rim, and him forcing a double team and can kick out or pass to a quick slasher

13. Play07

Play07 Member

strech four please, we saw last night howard can be good in the post imagine have 4 3 point shooters around him, the lane always open for Gs to drive to score or dump off a pass to howard if the big tries to protect the rim, and him forcing a double team and can kick out or pass to a quick slasher

so I would go with a 3point shooter at PF not LMA just a mid salary guy who can knock down 3s and mid range game, no need for a MAX star that post when you have howard who can do that, chris bosh/kevin love would be the only max players PF i would take

14. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Parsons/Casspi? If you are going to camp your 4 guy out at the 3 point line anyway he doesn't necessarily need to be a banger. I wouldn't gut the team. I think Aldridge only makes us marginally better on offense and we lose depth on defense.

15. photojoe

photojoe Member

I still think that if we are shipping out Asik and Lin (not sure if that is the best move for us or not...)
    and if Atlanta is willing to send out Horford in return for Asik and Lin (not sure if that is the best move for them or not...)

I would almost rather just receive the slightly younger, slightly cheaper Horford as opposed to also sending out Greg Smith in return for LMA.

I love Aldridge, don't get me wrong. I would love him on this team.

It seems like Aldridge's main strength is scoring. He is a decent to good defender and rebounder, but that isn't necessarily a strength. Do we really need another scorer on our team? Harden and Howard are going to get their shots. How many would be left to utilize Aldridge's main strength?

I don't think Horford is as good of a scorer as Aldridge (or Love...), but I feel like he fits well for our team. He is more of a PF than a C, but he has experience playing C and could spend some minutes there if Dwight gets into foul trouble and we needed him to. IMO, he is a better defender than Aldridge or Love, and a better rebounder than Aldridge. We would get a lot of the benefits of our current 'twin tower' lineup, but would have much less detriments as he is better on offense than Asik and could help to space the floor a little bit more than Asik as well.

He is said to be very versatile and not intrusive, which would be great to go with the two big stars that we already have!
    http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2013/9/19/4746698/al-horford-si-top-100-nba-players-of-2014

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Horford would be ideal but Asik isn't going to get it done.

17. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

With Howard in the low post, the Rockets need a stretch 4.

Also to open the driving lanes for Harden and Lin.

Stretch 4!

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I have always felt that Asik can defend 4's. It's not easy and on some days he struggles, but this performance from him was awesome.

19. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

horford can hit the midrange jumper and play D and rebound...so our defense doesnt suffer one bit...LMA has better range, but he can defend or rebound like Horford. Also, Horford is cheaper too. Asik, Motie, and either Smith or Jones should be able to get it done if the Hawks keep losing to teams like the Lakers.

20. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

i meant LMA cant defend and rebound like Horford.