1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Chance Dwight comes to Houston growing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 9, 2013.

1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Patrick Patterson

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is assuming they are both getting the max. If they are structuring their contracts like the Miami big 3 did I think what it does is doesn't max them out, and backloads a good chunk of their salary. However I doubt those two guys will accept less than the max, and Im not positive that they would be able to do so under the current CBA.

Bima also would be counting all of the other team option contracts like Beverley, Anderson, etc. Its basic math based on what their contracts are "projected to be." Just the 3 of them alone will most likely be between 57 and 60 million.

You also have the issue of league minimum players allowed on the roster at any given time. The rules are a bit more flexible in the offseason, but its still something to also keep in mind.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

With McHale and Kelvin Sampson, the Rockets have the ultimate 1-2 (sucker) punch in the free agent recruiting wars.

1 person likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It would be tampering. But, OP doesn't give a clear idea of the timing of the supposed meeting, which might matter, or the subject of conversation.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Dwight wants Phil Jackson. Phil Jackson wants all the power. Jimmy Buss does not want Phil Jackson to have all the power. So, Dwight says "Fine, then I am going to Houston unless you hire Phil" but in the end he is unlikely to give up the extra money.

6. liveguy

liveguy Member

A former player and a coach just talking to current player on another team is not tampering unless you can prove it.

It probably isn't provable, therefore it isn't a story.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Do you have any insight as to what exactly it is that Dwight feels insulted by in terms of the way the Lakers are treating him? By all accounts, they are basically trying to build their future around him, so it's a little confusing to hear that he feels disrespected. I can certainly understand his distaste for D'Antoni since the guy is an ass clown.

Can July 1 just get here already?

8. cyberx

cyberx Member

Tampering happens all day everyday. But in this case, I wouldn't consider it tampering.

1 person likes this.
  9. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

Your way off dude.
    DH12 & CP3 will be 20mil each. Harden is only making 13 mil next season.
    It can actually happen.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Harden is only set to make $14 million next season. The max is not always $20 million, it depends on tenure in the league. Howard is eligible for up to $20.5 and Paul $18.67.

We will have about $16.42mil cap room (assuming we waive all non-guaranteed contracts) according to Bima's last cap update. We could pick up Delfino's option and trade him as an expiring contract (taking back minimal/non-guaranteed salary) to cover roughly the $20mil max for Dwight. Ditto for AB's contract to create $2.5 mil more.

It would take some creativity, but trading a combination of Lin, Asik, T-rob, White, or Jones and taking back minimal salary could easily create close to $18 million, enough for Paul. And I think those guys are each tradeable enough for that to happen. The biggest issue will be timing and lining all of that up.

11. Lateralus

Lateralus Member

:rolleyes:

12. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

Just one thing. free throw shooting

13. Carl Herrera

A family trust owns the Lakers, not the individual children of Dr. Buss. IIRC, it is in the trust documents that Jeanie has the business side and Jimmy runs the basketball side. Jimmy cannot be forced out of his position if he doesn't want to.

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

good god, i hate idiots like you. what, do you expect him to say "hi my name is lou johnson and i just got done talking dwight howard!"

if i recall correctly cyberx has decent ties but regardless no one legit is going to reveal their sources for an internet message board full of mouth breathers like you.

1 person likes this.
  15. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

16. Carl Herrera

The only way that the Rockets gets Dwight is to hire Phil Jackson to be the Jerry West or Pat Riley of the Rockets. Superstars get superstars cuz game recognizes game. You don't send out Morey with iPad or Harden with his urban strippers and hope to land superstars. You need someone with some zen and class.

17. Rio224

Rio224 Member

i'm happy with asik...... dwight's personality is volatile and ruin the team's chemistry/ bond. i'm probably the only one here that doesn't want him lol, watch if dwight comes bet you some of our players catch beef or snap on each other.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ahh... for some reason I was showing here that Harden would be at 17mil next season, and both Dwight and CP3 would be at around 20 each. Must have been looking at Durants contract as a reference.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Honestly though, is Dwight the kind of person to actively go against his management's advice though? If enough people pressure him away from Houston, then ultimately the Rockets won't have a chance in this. It's really up to Dwight as to how he wants to handle this. We all understand why Fegan would want Dwight to stay in LA.....but does Dwight understand that?

20. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

He said Hakeem did a sales pitch, not McHale.. Just that they were introduced to each other and enjoyed each others company. That is not tampering, stop trying to start rumors.