1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sorry to burst your bubble

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 27, 2015.

1. MystikArkitect

These two are taking QBs. Hoping that either one ends up in the 4-7 range so we can trade up ahead of them to get one.

2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Why is it surprising? The dude is a athletic freak and he has JJ Watt taking on 2-3 guys every snap.

3. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

because of his injury...remarkable to see a turnaround like this so fast and nothing is proven until it's on film in the NFL which he's starting to prove

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It's Mallet's 4th or 5th start right? So far mixed but not bad. Still has potential especially with a healthier OL and RB. Imagine if we add a pass catching TE. With more experience, Arian, and a healthier OL, I feel the best is yet to come. So sorry but you did not bust my bubble.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

4th start... 3rd without a torn pec.

People forget that the great start he had last year was after a bye week (thus, they had 2 weeks to prepare everything... for one mediocre/bad opponent)... that definitely could have skewed why he looked so "ready" without having ever started a game before.

There was noticeable improvement from last week to this week... still not completely consistent, still not where he needs to be for this offense to be a legitimate threat, but I'll take the progress... and getting the line healthy and Arian back will only help.

As far as a "pass catching TE"... as long as they continue to cover the receivers with single coverage, not sure how the TE is going to have a better shot of getting open vs. the receivers.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I agree but basically it's mismatches. Most of the league is moving to TE/WR power forward hybrids that normal LBs/DBs cannot cover. We have 3 TEs that are basically the same. I want two power forward TEs especially with this offense since it used Gronk and Hernandez at the same time to destroy teams.

1 person likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yes I agree the Patriots have destroyed teams with Gronk (with and without Hernandez). Problem is, if we try and find our next Gronk, we could be searching for a while. Gronk may go down as the greatest tight end in NFL history. Pretty sure he'd destroy teams no matter what offense he's in. Because of that, and the fact that Gronk plays with an all time great quarterback, I often wonder if we overrate the value of tight ends in the system, or if ours are just that bad.

I really don't think ours are bad.

8. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Ha ha. Would you have said this if the Texans lost today? Next week could get ugly. Probably lose to the Colts also. So you are looking at a 1-4 start.

9. baubo

baubo Member

We have 4 games against the Titans and the Jags. Unfortunately they will ensure we can’t suck too badly. The mediocrity train will go on for sure.

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

what a knee jerk reaction thread to a win that was ugly nonetheless. texans 5-11 this year fan boys.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

We can win 8-9 games, but not because we are average…because our schedule is supposed to be a cakewalk…which really makes us below average.

The Panthers were a 7 win team in the worst division in football last year…they lose their best receiver, then proceed to spank us.

The Bucs are one of the bottom 2 teams in the NFL…and we really didn't show that we were that much better than them.

We'll get healthy and play better, but this team is very void of talent.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I kind of hope that's the case, if this forum is any indication of the fanbase as a whole, they don't deserve a winning team. It's just pathetic in here.

13. BubbaMac

Am pretty sure the Texans one way or another will end up with Hack. bob seems to be the most comfortable with players he is familiar with. With the way Hack is playing, probably at best a mid first round pick which is where the Texans will probably end up if some improvement continues.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We should probably trade 3 picks for him before someone else takes him.

15. BubbaMac

Woah! Lets not get carried away here. Then again, the Texans can't seem to draft right so perhaps trading three picks which will probably turn out to be duds anyway is not a bad idea.

Even Goff and Hack are both available, have a feeling that bob will choose Hack.

16. Mr. Clutch

Ha, I was just kidding.

It was a reference to the fact that we traded six picks for Nix and Strong

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

There's optimism and there's delusion. I think we're closer to a 7-9 team than a 9-7 team. We have a lot of holes to fill that are plugged with placeholders and some that are rotating doors so it's hard to build consistency.

18. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Isn't it worst being a mediocre team than a team that sucks and will get a top 5 pick?

The Rockets were continually blasted for not tanking for better draft positions and being a mediocre, at best team, team that always got middle of the round draft picks. Everyone wanted to tear down the whole ship for a top pick, year after year of mediocre basketball and #14 draft picks.

I know football is a different sport but I would think tanking for better draft position applies more here than it does in the NBA because of how important QBs are to a team and how early the good ones are taken in the draft. You basically need the top pick to get a the best quarterback in the draft or hope the teams before you don't need a franchise QB (which is rarely the case since those team are usually bad because they don't have their franchise QB.)

Honestly, I would rather the Texans tank the whole year and get their quarterback than continue to settle for mediocrity.

This franchise has been mediocre for their entire existence, and having teams just good enough for 8-8 or 9-7 will continue that trend indefinitely.

But if mediocrity and being the "Almost Team" is celebrated in Texans-ville then go right ahead! :grin::cool::grin:

Did we watch the same game, today? I'm not sure how much of anything positive can be taken from today's game.

Texans looked horrible until they scored late in the game when the Buc's defense basically gave up. In the first half, they were given plenty of chances with great field position but couldn't score once!

The offense was doing absolutely nothing and was lucky the Bucs kept giving them 1st downs with holding penalties. Don't even get started with the play calling. Alfred Blue was the best thing about that group and this will probably be his best game this season, by far.

The defense was okay but still not the elite group we thought they could be. They took advantage of a rookie QB making mistakes and bad throws. They should have came out today and ruled it from the get-go.

Our special teams was probably the best/most consistent thing about the team today and they did absolutely nothing noteworthy today either.

Till mid-way in the 4th quarter, it was a 1 point game. At home. In a must win game against one of the worst teams in the NFL.

It was an ugly and boring game. Not the performance you should take too much positives from.

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

i honestly had high expectations until foster got injured. I had us at 10-6 or 11-5. After foster went down, I didn't think we had the offensive tools to keep up with the teams that can put points on the board.

20. Mr. Clutch

That just isn't going to cut it talentwise.

Even when we had Foster, prime Andre, healthy Schaub, a great OL, Ben Tate pitching in almost 1,000 yards, Owen Daniels and Jacoby chipping in 500+ yards...that team still wasn't a contender until we got a stout defense to complement it.