1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sorry, Dirk, you're no MVP [Simmons]

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AstroRocket, May 1, 2007.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Any writer who mentions the Rockets twice while dumping on the Mavs is alright in my book.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It's nice to see a writer who was not on the Dirk bandwagon before this series. I've said a few times that Dirk isn't the MVP because MVPs can NEVER disappear in a game or become a liability to their team. Dirk has done just that in many playoff appearances. Rocket fans were the first to see that in 04-05.

If Dirk had any honor, he would not accept MVP should he win it. I truly believe that.

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

The MVP although voted for during the playoffs is for regular season performance. Dirk was the MVP.

Now how i can't wait for next season and hope T-mac can get up there in MVP voting.

4. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah, great article and all, but THAT part is brilliant. And I'm not just saying that because it's me.

OK, maybe I am.

5. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Played like an MVP tonight when he needed to...

6. getready

getready Member

spoke too soon?

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Real MVPs close out more than 20% of the games they play in.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

2 minutes of clutchness > a career of playoff choke jobs?

If that's what makes an MVP then he is the guy.

9. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

The scary thing is that he was right about the events leading to a loss for GS:

- Refs obviously favoring Dallas

- Tech. foul galore

- Stephen Jackson needing to be restrained

Man, for the first time in my life I am thinking that NBA games are completely rigged. GS could have closed Dallas out this game and the last game they had but giving them bull**** foul calls kept Dallas in the game and eventually win it prolonging the series.

And what the hell is up giving technicals for clapping? **** off you egomaniacs. Get a life, he doesnt agree with the **** you are trying to pull for Dallas who the **** are you to be offended?

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Dallas is in trouble

They havent been able to win in Oakland yet.

Ill be seriously surprised if Dallas wins there...

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

That would have been a good line, except that TMac shot 44% in the game, which is up from his season, series, and career average. Not exactly an example of his shot not being on. Game 2 would have been a better example where he shot horribly from the field but grabbed 10 boards, dished 5 dimes, and got to the line where he shot well.

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

dallas got called for 2 and golden state for 1. how does that work out to a galore on the warriors?

or the warriors could have not been stupid and started running clock and taking terrible forced shots and just kept pressing the issue since dallas had no answer for their offense. or they could've guarded the mavs the last 3 minutes. they'll probably win in oakland, but they had their foot on the mavs throat and, for some reason, let up, which has not been their style in this series.

13. ferrari77

francis4prez said it best.

dude, i know some clutchfans hate the mavs more than the spurs(i'm the opposite) but anyone actually watching this series knows that the refs are making crap calls to both teams.

14. ferrari77

No, what makes an MVP is his performance during the season. Dirk aint in the running for "playoff MVP" or "1st round MVP".

15. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

I hate to admit it, but he was clutch today against Golden state. He pulled it out when their season was on the brink of collapse. Give him some credit, atleast until they lose game 6 :).

16. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Yeah Dirk did pretty decent in the end of ONE game. But give props where it's truly due.. The Warriors gave the Mavs this game, the Mavs didn't take it.

This is what happened. The Warriors got out of a 21 point deficit, got within 6 for most of the second half. Then got a nice 6 point lead with about 3 minutes left in the 4th. Then suddenly decided, "hey, this is too simple.. lets lose this so we can win grand at home."

Stephen Jackson just got overly excited by the thought of them winning at home on game six that he got a technical foul. That is all.

:)

17. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Well the Warriors did choke at the crucial time. But the thing that just blew me away was just the insane nature of the offense of GSW. In some stretches, it seemed they were running off a 4 second shot clock. They would jack up threes, and swish them all. Then there were stretches where they would only dunk - driving, around screens, an alley oop. It seemed like all their players can dribble, drive, dish, shoot threes, and dunk. From PG to C. It was like watching a streetball game. It was one of the most entertaining games I've seen in a long time.

18. Pocket Rockets

i dont know, those two threes were crucial but devin harris really kept them in the game in the 4th qtr. Dirk wouldn't have had a chance if devin wasn't playing well.

19. lost_ball

lost_ball Member

as i have said in many many many times before, mavs is a soft team(mainly dirk, since he is the core of this team, but hey, dont forget the 2nd best center in universe, talking about soft lol). they dont have the mentality to win a championship and i will be really surprise if they do.
    last year, is the classic example of how lucky can change things. Ginobili made a stupid foul, and thats it. thats how mavs can even go to nba final. and now they think they are the best team in nba? hell no
    i remember last year in the final, after 3rd lost, dirk was kicking things around while he exists the arena, and i told my friend right the way " they are gona lose next game , heat is gona win the championship", and we made a bet on that. result is i won a meal at some fancy japanese place.
    sometimes ppl underestimate the importance of role mentality plays in playoff. yes u can win 60+ games in regular, but if u dont have the toughest mentality, u cant win best of 7 games against the best teams in nba.
    and last i want give some repect to nellie, i have been a dallas hater since the time nellie take over mavs, coz i dont believe that kind offense style can win championship. but GS warriors have displayed a hardnose defense over the series with dallas, that makes me even think this team can maybe go all the way to final(thats if houston wins, and phonix/denve wins against spurs)

20. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

The Jazz were out when Malone got his second one.

I think since then they've moved the presentation of the award to an earlier date, to avoid a repeat.