1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sorry, but our starting 5 has to change

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WoodlandsBoy, Jan 7, 2010.

1. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

I just don't get it. It seems as though we are always losing the 1st and 3rd quarters. Then our backups come in and we get a lead but sometimes we can sustain it while other times we cannot.

We start too many defenisve players that cannot shoot or create in the game.

All of our backups have positive +/- and all our starters have negative +/-.

Look at our starting 5 performance shows we are a below average team
    http://www.82games.com/0910/0910HOU2.HTM

Trevors problems are well documented but I think Luis, Chuck and Shane are problems when playing together. If Luis is having a bad game we totally suck, if he is having a good game then we play average. The only consistent player is Aaron IMO.

Now I would like to have Kyle and Aaron start games as the guards with Trevor, Carl as forwards and Luis as center. That is our best 5.

I would like to see Aaron, Kyle and Carl play avg of 34 min per game. They are our three best players IMO. Kyle creates and rebounds and Carl cause he is efficent and Aaron is just a great shot.

Life w/o McGrady & Yao just plain sux.

#1 WoodlandsBoy, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have been saying that all year....Battriza is a problem.

AB and Scola are playing 2 on 5 out there...

Unless Brooks gets off to a good start, generally the team is going to struggle.....

CBud would be a better choice as starter than Trevor ........or if his ego is too fragile (as I suspect it is) then put him in place of Shane.

DD

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

who the hell is Karl?

4. sefril

sefril Member

the Malone guy?

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I think George Karl ;)

6. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Sheet I hate it when I make a gaff like that... Thx.

7. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Start Carl at the Center position....

Every game it seems like KL and CL has to rescue the starters when they come in.

TA is stinking it up bad out there....

I kind of miss Ron.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

and I thought you meant Carl.....you changed it to Kyle?

9. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Fixing the starting lineup is as simple as benching Ariza and starting Chase Budinger.

It's as simple as that. Suddenly you have three legitimate outside scoring threats, spacing the floor effectively and opening up the paint area for Brooks and Scola to go to work. Imagine if we could actually run pick and rolls with Brooks and Scola. Imagine if we could actually post and iso Scola without having people collapse into the paint instantly and blow up the offense. *Sigh*...

10. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

I'm with you, and I think it should be Battier coming off the bench.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'd throw out this starting line up:

PG Aaron Brooks
    SG Chase Budinger
    SF Shane Battier
    PF Carl Landry
    C Luis Scola

Chuck Hayes is a solid defender but didn't he pretty much get benched in favor of Scola 2 years ago at the PF position? My thinking, if he played PF then and is now our starting center then why couldn't we start Luis at C now?

I understand his defense isn't as good as Chuck's but they really are playing 4 on 5 with him to begin games and Scola's offense can fairly compensate for his lack of Chuck Hayes type D.

Trevor is shooting awful. Everything else he does is great, besides the dribbling, he still hustles plays hard defense and plays team ball. His entire offense is just horrible right now. That doesn't work well for the starting 5. Teams have learned how to "not" defend them to start a game.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Look at those 82games stats more closely. Notice how almost every lineup with Scola and Landry together is awful defensively? That pair has one of the worst plus-minuses on the team. And that isn't a new thing this year. Its always been that way with those two.

13. DaDakota

I agree that is our best chance at getting off to a good start.

DD

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Landry is one of the worst defenders on the team. Not sure if I would want him starting. However, the idea of starting Carl Buddiger intrigues me

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

They ignore defense durvasa... I want LESS Landry and Scola... so many want more of that combo.. I don't understand it

16. mag

mag Contributing Member

The one that needs to sit is Hayes. He is like playing 4 on 5 on offense. Whatever good defense he provides, it is not worth it for what we need to overcome on offense.

17. DaDakota

You can't just look at that....because it also depends upon who is on the floor with them, whom they are playing against.

Too many factors to use as anything more than an interesting stat.

If they were starting together, would they struggle? I think that is up in the air.

Because what good does it do to hold a team to 22 points in a quarter if you are only scoring 13....

We have too many one dimensional players.....Chuck is not a threat, Shane is not a threat, Trevor is not a threat....

That means, on offense we are 2 on 5......

I don't mind defense, but you need contrast in the lineup.......most teams have one good defensive starter in the lineup...not THREE.......

We need offense DESEPRATLY.

DD

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Actually what needs to change is the schedule. And it will. The team just lost 3 games in a row that they were supposed to lose, regardless of who they start.

19. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

The same can be said with everything else too... Landry plays a lot of minutes against second string... so does that mean he's not as good as if he started. Every stat has to be interpreted by actual game factors... but tell me you don't get frustrated defensively when the two are on the court together. I don't need 82 games to tell me it's a bad defensive front court... I can tell just by the amount of times I yell about blown rotations when they are in the game together.

1 person likes this.
  20. DaDakota

Number 3 scorer in the 4th quarter in the entire NBA, that is NOT against the 2nd string.

I don't think they are the best defensively, but they are so much better offensively that they should be playing more.

I know you love Chuck he is an elite post defender, but since he can't shoot, he should be playing a lot less......

I would take

An average defender who can play offense

over

An elite defender who is bad on offense.

DD