1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Soriano is available

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Jul 7, 2014.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

We should go after him. The Yankees just cut him. I'd prefer him as our DH then the crap we have running out there now.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

38 years old and not hitting.

Makes 18 million this year.

Just say no.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Rafael would be nice.

4. awc713

awc713 Member

I'd like to pick him up or make some sort of move.

The front office NEEDS to. I'm sorry but I've been on board with this rebuilding phase, and going after a player or two to make this team watchable will not inhibit our future.

Do it Luhnow...we wont get to see Aiken for 4 years anyways

5. msn

msn Member

for the major league minimum. if it means we don't have to watch Carter any more, I'm happy.

even if he sucks, at least it's a new face to watch suck.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm available.

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Cmon,really?

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

Nope let's just stay with what we have.

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Even if we wanted to pick him up, why on earth would he want to come play on this team right now?

I do think he is a guy who still has a little ability, and maybe a change of scenery right now would get him going, who knows. But a guy at the end of his career, given even a few choices, isn't going to go to the team with the worst record in baseball

10. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

He is not better than any of the Astros options in the OF or at DH.

That and he is 15 years older than any of those options.

11. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Carter is 24 and has 15 home runs. I don't know how that doesn't translate with all the advanced analytics in baseball, he doesn't hit for average and strikes out a lot, so does Springer. Batting average is an outdated measuring stick.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Carter is 27...

and has a negative WAR.

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Nationals Soriano would have been nice.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think you're talking about the 2011 version of Chris Carter.

Springer also draws walks, gets some hits that aren't HR's, plays defense and steals bases. Yes, batting average by itself isn't as important (and is at an all-time low for all of MLB)... but its only unimportant in players who bring more tools to the table.

If anything, Carter shows you that players like him who only hit HR's, and can't do anything else, aren't more valuable than potential replacement-level players.

#14 Nick, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Dude is hitting .225. No thanks.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

he's awful and old. If you're done with Carter, call up someone random. Shoot, find Brett Wallace's corpse before signing Soriano

17. msn

msn Member

looks like several others beat me to it.

this ain't softball.

Carter sucks.

18. msn

msn Member

you're probably right, but Santana clearly wasn't ready. Can we just sit Carter and keep Kike in the lineup?

Soriano may be a waste of time entirely; I was just excited at the thought of not seeing Carter's 3 and 4 K's and sub-300 OBP in the lineup every night. Dude can't get on base and he can't play defense. How the hell is he on a ML 40-man roster?

19. msn

msn Member

sorry for the three posts, but one more thing here.

You're quite right when people are comparing two guys hitting say, .270 versus .295 or .300. But we're talking about a guy who's spent the majority of the current season below .195. At that point, you don't need WAR or OBP or any other stat. That's worse than Adam freaking Everett in his worst year. The term "Mendoza line" came from a guy who couldn't hit .200 and is remembered in the annals of history for his ineptitude with the bat, and Carter is worse than that.

Suckfest. If dude is still in an Astros uni next year, something will have gone terribly wrong.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

because he's the next david ortiz!

He made me think of former OAK 1B Dan Johnson because of some promise followed by absolutely nothing. Though I'm sure there are plenty of example of that at 1B. Turns out Johnson didn't K much, so bad comparison

Carter's K rate has spiking so hard in HOU beyond his minor league #'s and even OAK #'s (small sample in OAK, I know) is confusing. And his BABIP is so ridiculously low this year...I'm willing to give him the rest of the season for that to even out a bit. --Just to trade him. Without defense, last year's #'s (seemingly near the ceiling...could improve dramatically with a K rate decrease to minor league levels) are not ok.