1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sonic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drewdog, Jun 1, 2003.

1. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

cherry limeade = mountain dew code red?

coincidence...i think not.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Ever tried one of those Jalapeno Cheeseburgers?

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Screw Sonic!! Mario rules!!

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

do you tip at McDonalds? Burger King? Whataburger?

When I used to eat at those places I don't ever recall tipping...

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I was telling my wife just yesterday that Sonic is by far my second favorite fast food joint.

Those toaster sandwiches are awesome! I always like tots better than fries, and I love the fresh lemon berry slush. The coconut cream pie shake is also good if you don't mind getting as fat as me.

6. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Lynus you are my new hero!

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm sorry..i just can't tip at a fast food joint. i'm not a cheapskate...not a costanza. i simply can not do it. i think it's because of society. :)

8. A-Train

Well, waitresses get tipped because they only get paid $2.17/hour, though minimum wage isn't much of an upgrade. If I'm getting back 25-50 cents, I usually just let the car hop have it.

Does anybody tip sackers at grocery stores? I actually made some pretty good tips taking groceries to people's cars, and I didn't have to report them. Of course, I was really pushy sometimes...

"Can I take these to your car, Ma'am?"
    "That's OK, I really don't need it"
    "Oh, don't worry about it, Ma'am...it would be my pleasure!"
    "No, really, I only have one basket..."
    "Look, b****! You ever heard of the phrase 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth'?!?! When you strain your back muscle trying to get these sacks in that gas guzzling SUV of yours, you'll wish had had asked for my help! Now, let's go!"

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

10. Isabel

Isabel Member

That article brings up a good point. Our Sonic here has a drive-thru as well as all the drive-in spots. Now, since you're not getting out of your car anyway, I don't know why you would need to go through the drive-thru. What difference is it supposed to make? Or am I the only one who pulls into a regular parking place and then takes the food home when I get it?

Regardless, I may try that drive-thru from now on. That should take care of the tipping problem once and for all. :D

11. A-Train

Personally, I NEVER use a drive through unless I really have to. It doesn't take that much effort to get out of the car, plus it's easier to check your order and make sure they got it right...

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Actually I learned in etiquette class that you ARE supposed to tip Sonic or any other car-hops. Many people don't though as many of you have expressed. It is also appropriate to tip buffet servers even though many people don't.

The reason beingI believe, I can't really remember the whole reason since I took this class back in high school, is because the car-hops actually bring it to your car unlike at a drive-thru where they stay inside and the car-hops are exposed to the heat, cold, rain, or whatever.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good point! I think Code Red tastes a lot like the Cherry Limeades. Great stuff.

Sonic is a great fast food place. They have EVERYTHING.

14. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

The burgers have gotten worse over the last few years IMO. The tater tots rock and the chili-cheese-dogs are excellent. I always leave the change for the car hops.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm sorry...i simply can't order a chili dog from there. too frightening.

plus, i live in houston....i have three words for ya....JAMES...CONEY...ISLAND...

CASE CLOSED

:D

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I agree, for a while it was my favorite fast food burger. I ate a burger from there last week and it was not good. It was perfect for Wendy's old "Where's the Beef" commercials. The tater tots are still good. I also like there toaster sandwhiches but burgers are out of the question.

17. Isabel

Isabel Member

I agree - we tip them, though not usually the full amount since they only bring drinks. We usually go for around 10%. Is this right?

(if I ran the world, the drinks would be out where you could get to them, and there would be no servers. I don't mind getting up and getting my own stuff. That way, I can have a drink refill when I want it instead of having to wait forever, and it would save the tip money... sigh...)

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

My Dad graduated from Georgia Tech in 1952. I made my first trip to Atlanta when I was 8 years old (1969). I've been to Atlanta about 10 times since. Every time I visit Atlanta, I have to go to the Varsity. Preferably the original near the Tech campus. I think it's a family tradition thing. When I went to Atlanta last year on a business trip, I bought my Dad a Varsity T-shirt, and you would have thought I had bought him the Pope's robe or something. He got very emotional and sentimental.

Another thing about Dad...he is funny as hell. Ask him about James Coney Island and he'll tell you "that place stinks. I'll never eat there". But then ask him about the Varsity, which serves virtually the same food and he'll respond like he's talking about the best restaurant on the planet. Go figure.

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Actually in etiquette class we learned that buffet servers are supposed to get the regualar 15-20% tip but more than 90% of people don't give buffet servers the correct amount, 60% of people don't give the correct tip at all, and something around 50% don't tip buffet servers at all.

20. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did any of you guys/gals ever try the fried pickles at sonic? they had em a month or two ago. i never got around to it.