1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something to remember about Kevin McHale for folks who don't understand the "benching" thing...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

>>> Jeremy Lin benching proves Kevin McHale doesn't respect Rockets difference maker
    BY CHRIS BALDWIN 10.11.13 | 1:22 pm

McHale may justifiably love the idea of a great, game-altering sixth man. After all, the Rockets coach was one of the best sixth men in NBA history early in his own playing career. But McHale might want to remind himself that he's not coaching the 1980 Celtics.

He's clearly worked on his game — and it shows. He'll be a better shooter this season, a better passer and an even more confident player.

These 2013-14 Rockets need Lin on the floor for the start of games — and as much as possible. The offense simply runs better when the ball passes through his hands. The transcendent talents of Harden and Howard shine through more when the basketball is moving.<<<

This was a nice link you put in Carl, this guy apparently knows whats going on. I would seem obvious but some people are blind I guess :)

2. Grace33

Grace33 Member

Agreed.
    And there is one interesting sentence I learned from this site today.
    " Don't spit in my face and tell me it's raining" ....lol

3. Normalus

Normalus Member

Dmo stole his moves :eek:

[youtube]XiL36cCkGpA[/youtube]

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I bet if we would have gotten CP3, ole McHale wouldn't have him come off no bench.

LOL and Lin would be coming off the bench most definitely or traded.

I wonder will he have Parson coming off the bench and starting Casspi or Brewer in our next pre season game..bwhahahahha

5. conquistador#11

If lin still gets 30 minutes, He could be the 10th men in a g*ngbang for all i care. Having him in the manu role with more freedom will make this team better, it should not be considered a novela style slap to the face.

I could even see Lin getting more minutes from the bench because of Mchale's 'eye tests'. When we go up against Curry, Bev just can't put up multiple 20pts performances on him like lin did. And on defense, those same pgs are going to score on bev because cross dressing shooting guards who work the point will always hit their scoring mark.

That's why they're top 5 at their position but that doesn't go into consideration during an eye test. eye test will read.. TaK3 8eV3rI3Y 0uT with a smaller line on the bottom.

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

don't you "stalk" players' twitter accounts? LOL

Bev's been vocal about his faith from the beginning. It helped him during his tough times in Ukraine and Russia.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>“<a href="https://twitter.com/markong81">@markong81</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/patbev21">@patbev21</a> what is your routine before the game”. 1 pray to God. Thank God and ask God to watch over me and team</p>&mdash; Patrick Beverley (@patbev21) <a href="https://twitter.com/patbev21/statuses/389038292031004672">October 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

also he follows this account

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>RT: If you Praise and Honor Him.</p>&mdash; Love Like Jesus (@LovLikeJesus) <a href="https://twitter.com/LovLikeJesus/statuses/389013015535710209">October 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Writer surely didn't watch the Pelicans game but just wants to be incendiary.

Lin as the 6th man could be the move that brings this team over the top. Didn't you see the bench struggle to keep the lead during the 1st preseason game.

Bev has to learn how to facilitate the offense better and Lin has to learn how to lockdown starting PGs. I hope both of them get better.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm glad u posted ths. Wanna talk about the ultimate sacrifice vs hating on Lin. Mchale was a beast,but he cam off the bench when they had cornbread. When he started,he was exceptional as we'll. Many teas wish they had kevin mchale as a starter in the 80. Great point and argument.

10. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

your right chris Paul wouldn't be coming off the bench because he is.....wait for it....THE BEST GUARD IN THE LEAGUE.

guess what Lin is the 4th option on HIS OWN TEAM. Not to mention he is the second best defending point guard we have behind Beverly.

The faster you LOFs can realize that the faster we can get on and enjoy our year.

Chandler does more for our team than Lin does and if you don't see that then Stop watching basketball you clearly don't understand the game.

11. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Kevin needs to understand they are in Asia to promote the NBA...

LIN is the star.attraction.. he should start him during the this trip

Asia provides great growth revenue to the NBA.. which benefits everyone

12. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

His stats tell a different story.

13. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

O really i have never heard of an NBA coach keeping his job because he promoted basketball in Asia so well...we need to relay this message to McHale ASAP!! So no it doesn't benefit everyone. The point of the PRE-season for a coach is to get your lineups right not cater to crazy fans who cant handle a player coming off the bench playing the same minutes he would have.

He is starting him tonight in Taiwan. People act like McHale benched Lin no he didn't i repeat Lin still played the same amount of minutes off the bench that he would have starting.

14. denali_wjl

denali_wjl Member

You know what, from what you saying, the thing is Lin has to be on the level of CP3 to be the undisputed starter, merely being a better point guard is not enough.

Thank about that for a moment.

15. rju1986

rju1986 Member

The team's needs are more important than ANY player, it will ALWAYS be this way if you really want to contend for a title. I'm sure the coaching staff and Morey know more about lineup inefficiencies better than us novices. We're all cheering for the same team, have a snickers bar.

Positively question everything with respect, but that does not entitle anyone to spread your negative bias like a virus.

16. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

No what i'm saying is when your the 4th option offensively then you better be the best defensive point guard on the team and hustle and do other things that make you get the starting minutes.

Think about how many times Beverly came up with loose balls or got a big block for us last year those are the things the coaches are looking for with a team that struggles defensively, they aren't looking for more offense, when they already have 3 better options of scoring on the floor.

17. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Exactly my thoughts. The situations are only similar on the surface. The reason McHale was sixth man is that there was no starting spot for him.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

You are not locking down a stud PG in the NBA. I dont understand why yall would suggest this from any player. The best a player and/ot team could do, is try to contain them. And that's it. Who shutting down a healthy Westbrook, Rose, Parker, CP3, and others. Nobody, especially by themselves.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I see you are pretty new here. I am a Rockets fan, not a J Lin fan. So dont loop me into that category. My thing is why would McHale put this man on the bench after a successful year. Plus dude picked up his game in the 2nd half of the season. I dont ever see Coach Pop and other coaches do what McHale does.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

That 4th option put up 13+ points a game with 6-7 dimes to go with that pimpn. My thing is McHale starting 5 should be set in stones.