1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something to remember about Kevin McHale for folks who don't understand the "benching" thing...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Carl started this thread, and the subject was McHale's benching of Lin--good, or bad? Also it proposed Lin as sixth man with the reference being that McHale was once a sixth man and he was a really, really great player and so fans shouldn't be so overly-concerned if Lin doesn't start. Did you watch the video on the first page??? Blame OP for starting the thread, not us for responding to it.

2. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I get what you are saying, I really do. This wasn't a regular season game though. This is preseason, where you work out the kinks and see what works and doesn't work. It isn't a boxing fight by any stretch of the imagination. You test out rotations, see if you get anything from someone down the bench and you just flat out try new things for the betterment of the team. I'm sure Jeremy will get some more shine seeing as how it is Taiwan tomorrow or the next day depending on where you live. At the end of the day though, it is preseason and nothing is concrete or set in terms of gameplanning.

3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

For real. These are the topics that should be most important

1) getting to share the love and joy of the international experience in Taiwan.
    2) whats up with asik and his injury?
    3) whats up with greg smith and his injury?
    4) did I just see a new move from from harden that was super nasty? Best sg in league? Are we really this lucky to have him? because we are.
    5) Howard. How does he feel? How does he like his new team?offense strategy talk, pnr,dump down, running stuff etc. wheres the talk on this?
    6) parsons in his 3rd year becoming more of a team leader
    7) casspi williams brewer brooks covington and canaan where are the cuts?
    8) twin towers discussion (being done it seems)
    9) jones dmo discussion (being done it seems)
    10) 1 thread on the lin bev discussion not 17 of them

1 person likes this.
  4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

The video is a highlight of mchale not of him coming off the bench.

I dont speak for CH but his argument is that Mchale came off bench and Mchale started as well and he was a legend. His ego didnt stop him from coming off bench and according to CH if mchale did it so can Lin.

Thats not what Mchale is saying to Lin that is what CH is saying in terms of perspective here and not get your panties in a wad. And what howard said- the larger point is that it really DOESNT MATTER WHO STARTS when discussing Lin.

I personally think Lin should start but I also think if needed Bev will play more minutes and at times bev will be the better move. Thats whats great about having 2 good pg. Nice luxury why is that so bad?

5. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

IKR! Harden man those moves, he makes it look so easy, that one drive against the Pacers he destroyed Paul George and he's one of the best defenders in the league. and same with Dwight, Hakeem's tutoring is helping Dwight alot

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if its the same one I am talking about. It was in the 1st game. Im not sure if it was george guarding him.

Bill worell and clyde were gushing about it and I would love to see a gif of it. It was some playground almost type stuff. Something that looks like he might have been playing around with over the summer that he decided to bust out. It was just so nasty.

7. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

I think you are talking about the one against Rivers, video game moves haha

8. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

This helps clarify things. If someone thought the Rockets game was a one man battle by Lin, of course they'd lose their minds when their warrior isn't the title card. The easiest solution for their drama would be for them to learn more about the team game of basketball.

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yeah maybe. it was so nasty we need a thread just for it with a gif.

as bill walton would say its like beethoven and we are here totally missing out on its beauty talking about our 4th best player.

10. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

yup, completely agree

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

What more does Casspi have to do to not be included in these lists?!?!!11

COHs are overrunning this place!

:)

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Ugh... good lord:

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/...hale-doesnt-respect-rockets-difference-maker/

The Rockets are no 1980s Celtics, but they do have two very good max guys who will make scoring in the starting 5 easy whoever plays PG. Also, Lin is no Kevin McHale, a Hall of Famer. He is a good, but not great PG, on a team with two good, but not great, PGs.

Wait, so the team doing well with Beverley is meaningless because the Pacers were not trying in a preseason game, but Lin doing well in the same preseason game somehow matters?

And then Lin playing well as a starter matters but not a word was said about Beverley's performance off the bench in the same game?

#112 Carl Herrera, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  13. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

LOL :cool:

14. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Lin and Beverley have different skill-sets that the team needs. I, for one, would love the versatility if we can start our PGs and PFs depending on match-ups. It's because no one has a clear advantage over the other.

Lin may be an attacking PG but with Howard in the line-up, we may need to run a more structured offense, with the PG dumping the ball to the post, like what Bev did the last game. Besides, do you think Lin will be as successful with his forays to the basket when Hiebbert and West are there guarding the lane?

I also think McHale appreciates Beverley's game because Bev is a tough-as-nails guy. Like McHale was as a player too. He appreciates the toughness that Bev brings.

Well, we have the return match-up vs. the Pacers to see how the Lin starting line-up will do.

It's for the sake of winning. Everyone should sacrifice their egos for the team.

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Some Lin fans just show a pattern of insecurity and entitlement. First, they hated Toney Douglas, then they blamed Harden. Now they think Bev is a bad player. And throughout, they hate McHale.

I mean, don't you trust that Lin's talents will enable him to eventually rise to the top on his own without needing to hate on others?

Everyone in the NBA has to fight for minutes. Many talented players do not make it because it's a question of timing, luck, health, right fit. Why should it be different for your guy?

I'm Fil-Chinese, by the way, and a Christian too like Lin. Let him be treated like everyone else. (Bev, Howard, Canaan too are Christians. Who else on the Rockets?)

1 person likes this.
  16. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Bev is a Jesus Person too???? Didn't know that. I knew about Dwight, who wanted to change the NBA logo to a cross his rookie season...never happened though.

17. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Just for the record...fans hated Toney Douglas because of Toney Douglas, not Lin. The guy was a brick layer for the Knicks and most fans didn't even expect him to make the team with the Rox, never mind replace Lin in the starting lineup. Also...I don't think there is anyone on this board who thinks Bev is a "bad player" it's just that not everyone thinks he should start. Yes there are those who hate McHale but many of these same people were hating on McHale long before anyone even knew who Jeremy Lin was.

1 person likes this.
  18. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

+1
    ~lol~ & SMH. LOHs like you are worse in logic you've gotta understand.
    Now everything becomes clearer!
    This is it!!! Gonna say the same thing!!! Someone respond to this plzzzz!!! Logic no? Mr. LOH Breitbard?
    Come on now, Pop is one of the best coaches ever. McHale hasn't proven anything.
    +1
    Lin had faced much more distrust than most other players. He actually thought about quitting. It's hard to trust your dream case would just naturally happen. It's natural that Lin fans feel insecure. After going through all these obstacles, finally getting recognition, some tyrant thinks he was a fluke and tough luck! I wouldn't blame them.
    Debatable. If used incorrectly, even if a team has four very good max guys they could still play losing basketball.
    That's somewhat debatable. You mean the past? (historic numbers for first time starters) or the future? No one knows.
    That's why I proposed:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=8110948
    ~SMH~ Contradicting oneself at the most inappropriate time.

19. langal

langal Contributing Member

Lin isn't the one who is whining. It's posters on this board. We don't have power.

20. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Dude, do you even realize that Felton and Chalmers have been benched in the regular season after starting for some stretch? Nice try.