1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something to remember about Kevin McHale for folks who don't understand the "benching" thing...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 11, 2013.

1. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I see Jeremy as an OK to below average starting point guard, based on last year's performance. He's not consistent, but one of his main strengths is play making. From his performance in pre-season games, we can all see that his shots are firmer and he's moving very well. As McHale pointed out that he's been playing well, and obviously he's worked hard in off-season. I believe he'll play better this season.

PB played great, given the situation and his talent. He sure deserves his minutes, but I don't see this as reason to start him, or because he's "not far off" or "close to" Lin's level of talent. That Celtics team could afford to have McHale to backup Maxwell, and then have Walton to backup McHale. This Rockets team doesn't have this luxury to start a PG mainly for his defense and occasionally knocking down a few 3 pointers. To me, that's the exact definition of situational player, a backup. I don't want to see that TMac-Yao team with 2-3 starters scoring less than 10 points all the time.

Now, if you would argue that Harden needs the ball in his hand, and Rockets needs scoring from the bench, all in all, given current roster, bringing Lin from the bench would benefit the team more, I would agree. But we have to realize that Jeremy is being sacrificed in this case. If that happens, as a professional, he should and I believe he would still play hard. However, as a normal human, and as a competitive player, he has all the rights and it's only nature to be upset about it. Let's not make "backup" as some glorious and much desired role here, even the great McHale prospered in that role before.

2. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

Exactly, and McHale has Jeremy's buyin as well, so I dont see any problem with that. Its a push for championship, and obviously scarifies (by putting ego aside) is needed.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Whether the Rockets have the "luxury" to start Beverley or how any particular 5-man group would work are to be best determined by actually seeing how they work in games. That's the whole point of trying stuff in the preseason.

It doesn't matter what you believe, or even what Morey and McHale believe, right now unless they work in practice.

Jeremy Lin is not being sacrificed just like Kevin McHale wasn't sacrificed by the Celtics. Starting or coming off the bench, Lin and Beverley are both going to get plenty of minutes to show what they can do during the course of the remaining preseason games and during the season. The team will have plenty of data upon which to based their decision on the minutes for these two (and for every other rotation player).

4. real_egal

Like I said in another post, only result matters, let's wait and see.

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

"Sacrificed"? Come on, now. Every guy on the team should get down on his knees and thank God/his lucky stars he is in the NBA. He's making over $13000 a day.

6. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

7. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

I believe the subject is Kevin McHale, the coach, and why he does what he does.

The sixth man thread has the subject of Jeremy Lin, the player, and what his status should be on the team.

How precisely does this make them the same subject?

8. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I thought McHale started his career as a bench player, and then became a starter in a few years. Jeremy Lin was recruited as a starter by the Rockets, now you want to move him to the bench.

I don't see how those two are the same.

9. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

What you mentioned is correct, but going by the discussion trend, at least to me, it looked very similar, hence discussion whether JL should be the 6th man/starting from bench.

Cheers mate.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I have no problem with the concept. Maybe because I already posted it.

Idea thief.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. No two players are going to have the same career arcs and no two situation is exactly the same.

The point remains that being asked to come off the bench but still play significant minutes is not a sign that the coach distrusts a player's talent or is personally biased against a player.

Also, as a matter of personal experience, McHale is about the last person who would think that "not starting" is some huge insult.

2. No NBA player gets guaranteed starters job, or guaranteed minutes even just because a team decided to pay you a lot of money in free agency. The only guarantee is that you get paid. The team will need to decide what is best for itself.

Jason Terry, for one, was asked to come off the bench beginning in 2007-08 in the 2nd year of a 6 year, $50M deal after starting in the years before. The Mavs starting guard during Terry's reign as a Sixth man included the likes of Antoine Wright and Deshawn Stevenson.

12. real_egal

McHale is God now? Go to your employer and tell him you are willing to do more and get less paid, and you are happy to be demoted any time. Please make sure he understands you are not sacrificing anything, as a matter of fact, you get down on your knees everyday and thank God you have a job. There are so many people don't have a job, even worse, don't have food.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What do you mean "recruited as a starter"? Was that in the contract? Was there an agreement in the recruitment pitch that Lin would be a guaranteed starter? In terms of on-court NBA experience, Lin was like a second-year player last year. He hardly played as a rookie, and he played less than half a season in NY. Such a player is not guaranteed a starting role.

Just as with Asik, I can understand if Lin is disappointed should it be decided that he no longer starts game. Its a role he grew accustomed to. But being a starter one year is not in itself a guarantee that you'll retain that role in the subsequent year. If that's the case, why aren't Asik and Dwight starting together in the front-court?

14. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

By Jury you mean one season...haha...oh ok

GENIUS

15. Rhodium

Rhodium Member

whose ego are you talking about here?

16. real_egal

It's not a guarantee, but let's be honest here. Had Rockets known that they would have got Harden, they probably wouldn't have signed Lin, at least not with that price. As Morey and Lin said multiple times, that the Rockets wanted Lin to lead a group of young players, because of his play making skills. If you want to deny that as strong indication or plan, so be it.

Yes, situation changes. We got Harden, and he needs the ball. So, Lin's role has to transform and he has to adjust. That's part of life, Lin has been doing that. After starting for all 82 games, Lin got injured, PB stepped in, and played very well. All of the sudden, all the talks and experiments about bringing Lin off the bench broke.

I am glad that you brought up Asik's case. Howard is clearly a better player. As a professional, Asik had to accept the role change. Is he excited about it? I don't think so. Howard should stop talking about "nobody cares about starting". No, you care. You even whine all the time about touches. Is PB clearly a better player/play maker than Lin is? I don't think anyone can say yes with a straight face.

Could bringing Lin from bench give Harden more freedom to have the ball all the time, could PB starting help Harden play even less defense, could Lin lead the bench provide more offensive power for the 2nd unit? The answers could be yes. Results remain to be seen. It is NOT in Lin's best interest, but it could help the team. So Lin has to suck it up and sacrifice, if the decision has been made.

However, it would be really low to even refuse to acknowledge his sacrifice, or paint a rosy picture how backing up is a glorious role, or indicate how PB is more deserving to start, or spin as if how it's in Lin's interest. It's NOT.

17. durvasa

Why not start Asik alongside Howard? Asik is certainly a better player than any of the players vying for the PF spot, right? Well, it comes down to fit. Asik's skillset overlaps enough with Howard to where they don't necessarily complement eachother all that well. Similar arguments have been made with regard to starting Lin and Harden together.

It is a "sacrifice" only in that Lin is a starter-quality player, and he's accepting a bench role. But one could argue (not sure I would) that Beverley is also a starter-quality player, and impacts the game as much as Lin (but in a different way). In that case, it would be just as much of a sacrifice on Beverley's part that he come off the bench.

And I'm not clear on why you are saying it would be "really low" for someone to think that Beverley is more deserving of the starting spot or that coming off the bench would serve Lin's game more. That's a basketball opinion, not a moral choice.

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Jeremy Lin sacrifices the opportunity of being the first option and primary playmaker on the basketball court, in exchange for a mere "starting" position. That is, he places himself as the 3rd/4th option and secondary ball handler in the starting lineup.

Jeremy Lin sacrifices the starting spot for the opportunity to shine as the first option and primary playmaker with the 2nd unit, and he will likely get many opportunities to finish the game.

Our own coach and best player on this team took pride in being the 6th man. Ask any Celtics, Thunder or Spurs fan and ask them how important McHale, Harden and Ginobli was for their team as the 6th man.

Why is it necessary to perceive the role of 6th man as a "lesser role". It's not.

19. durvasa

I agree with this. Its not at all uncommon for the "6th man" to be more important than the 4th or 5th starter. There is unfortunately a stigma associated with coming off the bench, whether or not it reflects the reality of a player's value to his team.

20. real_egal

Applying your logic, playing in D-League will win you more "opportunities". As a competitive professional, you want to play with the best and play against the best.

Introducing the starting line up is an honor for players.

BTW, you can apply that wonderful mindset at your work first. Being sick for a few days, and find out you are being demoted/replaced to a great backup role, you can start to jump up and down, screaming how you get an equal role with better opportunities.