1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Someone Convince Me Dwight Isn't Overrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Dec 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

what OP is saying is dwights post game doesn't look pretty. it's not very fluid when I look at it. Compare it to Dmo post game which seems more fluid. Dwight doesn't have footwork. Dwights post game is catch ball dribble awkwardly twice do a layup or hook shot. If he's not within 7 feet of the basket then he isn't effective.

2. Zergling

Zergling Member

He's very inefficient on offense (really hope McHale realizes that D-Mo should get more of the post ups), but his defense and rebounding is why he deserves the big bucks.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It is because he screens near the perimeter and by the time we get him the ball again, the defense has been set. Either that, or one of our wings circle jerk on the perimeter and then pass it to him after the D has already caught up and been set. In the old days, Hakeem quickly established where he wanted to be in the paint and the wing throws in an entry pass.

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Luckly, we have Harden, Howard just plays his defense. I thought that Howard would be better than Yao Ming when Yao was able to play the ball, but he is not, still not overrated.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Most of us Rockets fans were spoiled by watching Moses, then especially Hakeem.

6. seeingred

seeingred Member

well someone did point out that he sets weaker screens that you'd expect for a guy his size. Part of it might be not wanting to rack up offensive fouls (#PointOfEmphasis) but i also think he tries to slip the screen to get an open look. that'd be fine if the ball handler was ready for it, but he rarely is and it just results in a wasted 7 seconds.

but agree that the most effective pick and rolls we've seen this season come with harden and howard around the free throw line.

that's the only time i want to see howard anywhere near the free throw line.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We were spoiled by Yao and most were too dumb to realize it.

People were so busy getting mad that Yao wasn't "mean enough" or didn't "dunk enough" to miss out on the dominant offensive force he was.

It is a damn shame that we didn't get to have a healthy Yao for longer.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Dwight should develop a 3pt shot and a turnaround fadeaway, or else he'd be forever overrated. Wouldn't hurt if he learns the eurostep either.

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I still remember when Asik did the Eurostep. Was hilarious how slow it was.

10. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Hah! In all seriousness, I think a realistic next step is a 12-15 ft bank shot. I recall him working on it last year in the preseason and then he stopped. It would do wonders for his game.

11. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

There is no need to compare with Dream, Moses, just look at Yao Ming when he was able to play the ball. Howard is just not that great, accept the fact.

12. Ghost_of_Akeem

Howard would be fine if his body wasn't falling apart. He's only 28 years old but will likely be in a wheelchair by the time he's 40.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let's hire Tim Duncan to teach him that. :grin:

14. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Good debate. The general consensus is we're paying Dwight $20 million for defense and rebounding. Somebody needs to convince me we need to pay $20 million for defense and rebounding.

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He definitely has looked older/slower since coming back from the knee injury. Not nearly as explosive.

But he's still damn good defensively, and the last couple of games we've fallen apart without him in the lineup.

16. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

maybe if he was willing to run pick and roll more, thats my only issue with Dwight. Other than that im glad he is here

17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

$20M for Howard is not a big deal. If we do not want to pay him for that money, many other teams are willing to do it so. Besides defense and rebounding, he is still able to score many points, depending on who is guarding him. He is not a one dimensional player.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

For pure basketball reasons, it would have been perfect if we traded Howard for someone like Aldridge, Love, or Bosh to play with Asik. With Howard's market value, we would have gotten some more assets along with the elite scoring PF to shore up our depth.

But that would never happen because of the obvious PR fall out that would certainly follow.

19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

maybe you just expect a perfect player

20. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

I think Dwight coming into the league was such a supreme athlete with quick feet that could jump out the gym that he never really focused on basic fundamentals of the post and has hid behind his athleticism and was a very effective player doing so on both ends of the floor. Now that he is not as athletic as he was maybe in 2009 and is slowly losing his springs(like all athletes do) he is trying to learn some fundamentals in the post. I think at this point in his career he is what he is and you go a lot of years building bad habits that at 29 you won't escape them.