1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Somebody dissin our team (and i agree)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chip123456, Apr 21, 2003.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

DavidS,

I totally agree, and I would like to add I find it hillarious that some argue that Rudy made Sam Cassell the player he is.

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If Les wants to sell suites, he knows what he needs to do. Thanks for the memories Rudy. Good luck.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Too bad Roy Williams isn't available anymore... His guys can run.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

In a word, no.

5. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I still stand by my ever fresh sentiment and theory what states that a Steve-Only fan has absolutely NO right to call another forum member names.

Steve-Only fans include (and not limited to);

Pgabriel
    Uprising
    Sun12 (Half Suns fan - Half Steve-Only fan)
    Noskrillwill
    Wizkid83
    Miguel
    Dn1282
    Francis 4 prez (go figure)
    spiral
    Loco Gringo
    SA Rocket
    HotRocket
    Story_teller (who can forget him/her)
    ClutchCity2003
    Finalsbound
    Juugie (of course)
    Icehouse
    AGbee
    Madmaxu
    RocketGuy3
    Tonaaayyyy (acute problem)
    da_franchise3
    Acizlan (strictly in denial)
    Desert Scar (borderline)

I apologize in advance if I left your name out of this prestigious list. :rolleyes:

6. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Really? I think Steve was happy when he won Co-ROY.

It might be minor but we should always hope our players get kudos for their work.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That's ridiculous, I haven't trashed another player on this board constantly like Yao only fans get to at every chance except MoTaylor, and yes I really don't like the guy. Other than that, I haven't suggested trading away other players so one guy can succeed. (See Yao only fans). I haven't suggested limited everyone elses game so one player can succeed. (Yao only fans) I haven't tried to find ways that we can get one player awards by limiting the team. (See Yao only fans) The fact is, most of you Yao only fans want only Yao to succeed. That's the definition of a fan of a player and not a team. Since when have I suggested trading anybody on this team, limiting other player's abilities, etc. to help Steve Francis grow. I defend Steve because he constantly gets unfairly bashed on this board. There is no reason to defend Yao, there are enough Yao jock riders (see Fegwu) on this board to do that for him.

8. Fegwu

Stop crying - there is no crying on this BBS.

Once you have done that, try to desist from indiscrimate exaggeration. Once you have done that - think of 'Logo' and what he did while in LA (i.e. addition by subtraction) and you may finally GET IT.

:p

9. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I can understand why there are Yao only fans. I think perhaps many of them are Asian, and it's understandable that they want yao to succeed at all costs because he is so visible. There is a cultural/nationalistic pride that is difficult to measure.

However, I'm a little tired of the Yao only fans because there's no reason to place Yao's success above the team. Indeed, Yao's success will be measured by the Rox success, not by his individual achievements. To be a fan of Yao by his individual achievements is a disgrace to what Yao is all about - class, team success, and winning.

However, we have to be careful not to incorrectly label fans as Yao only fans because it is now clear that Yao is a critical part of the Rox success. I don't think it is a misstatement to say that the Rox only go so far as Yao (and Francis) develop.

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I don't mind the Yao only fans except when:

1. They start threads that are absolutely worthless.

2. They debate non-stop among themselves about what Yao had for breakfast and whether Ying Yang is really a credible newspaper source.

3. They believe everything is a conspiracy to keep Yao from succeeding.

11. Fegwu

Just one more thing for you, 4 years ago after we drafted Francis I was very excited and I wanted Hakeem and Charles (+ other excess bargagee) to gracious leave our team in order for Francis to fully evolve "into his own man". I must admit Hakeem (my countryman and an class act who btw lead us to 2 championships) was forced out against his damn will because of the presence of what we believed was our future conerstones - Francis and Mobley. I accepted that deal because I believed it was best for our team. So does that make me a Francis only fan too (then)? That is common sense my fren.

What about Mobley? I can bet I was the biggest Mobley fan (on this forum) when he was back in RI (Rams). I fondly remember their magical NCAA run until they got knocked out by Duke (I believe). They would have made it had Tyson Wheeler not played piss poor down the stretch. We ended up drafting my favorite college player then late in the second round (miraculous to say the list). I want him to succeed badly also he arived here. I still remember his break out game against GState and another memorable game against Denver. I guess that made me a Mobley-fan then.

The point here is that there are dynamic fans who are not too attached to individual players. That is my nature. My attention and faith has been rightfully shifted to Yao Ming. I was alomost becoming a passive fan again after the "depression". Yao brought me back and gave me as well as other well meaning Rox fans back to life. He represents hope for me. And as far as I am concerned he is the most important Rocket now - every other "pawn" is moveable including RudyT.

So it will be wise to consult your head before you start labelling others. Heck I could be old enough to be your father - so respect yaself - ya hear me.

12. Fegwu

Are campaigning for me to include your name in the prestigious Steve-Only list?

:rolleyes:

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

JVG is at the top of all lists put together by all writers (particularly NY writers) for all NBA 'available' jobs.

BTW - I expect he is on Owner Alexander's list, as well.

Luxury Box sales are in pretty good shape, from what I have heard. A fancy new addition to the team, confidence offered for a better run in the new arena than the last years of the old one, would sell boxes. Think about that when you consider any changes to the Rox. $ is involved. Making more not (necessarily) spending Les (I mean less, as in fewer $).

14. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

That would be pretty funny considering Yao's my favorite player.

There are no Steve only fans here. No one gives a crap about what kind of car he drives, what's his favorite food, or what video games he likes.

People defend Francis because he's very talented and he's a player that gets a lot of criticism (oftentimes more so than he deserves).

Everyone has a favorite player. My favorite player growing up was Calvin Murphy. I was nervous everytime he went to the free throw line during his consecutive FT streak (finally missed on a technical foul).

The problem is when people start making stuff up because their favorite player isn't living up to "their" expectations.

Of course there's always T-Man who's one of a few "I only hate Yao - but I love the Rockets" fans.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is it the parents' fault or the kids fault when the kids don't behave? I'd say both (when the kids are young).

Coaching is very much like parenting. There are different styles. No one style is absolutely the best. It all depends on what kind of kids you have. (There are some general principles, though.)

There's a saying that goes something like: The best way for child-rearing is to swap your kids with somebody else's, because no one know how to teach their own kids, but everybody has tons of ideas of how to teach other people's kids. :D

I still think our biggest problem is the pajama uniform.

16. Yun

Yun Member

OK! Here is the thought coming from a declared "Yao's fan".
    It was disturbing to see the amount of discrimination going on this board by labelling people as "Yao only fan" and reicules them.

It is downright insulting to say that "Yao's fan" or in your word "Yao's only fan" do not care about team successs.

Basketball is a team sport. Yao is a team player. Yao's success is also depended on the Rocket's success.
    I believe that every Yao's fans want his team to success.
    Yao's individual achievement is NOTHING if his team cannot win.

Could you please tell me if you, so call, "true"/"upper class" rocket fan, really think that the rocket play a good team basketball this year?

So, if people who is attractted to the rocket because of Yao Ming suggest something, it automatically not for the team benefit?
    That is nonsense.

Of course, we want Yao to success but we also want to see a good team play.

Then there come people who proclaims themself as a "true" rocket fans bashing Yao at every turn. And also labelling/discriminating people who support Yao.
    What does that suppose to mean for the newcomer like me?

Does that mean "true" rocket fans must not supporting Yao Ming?
    Does that means "true" rocket fans must not want Yao to success?
    Does that means Yao's fan has "NO RIGHT" to cheer for the rocket?
    Does that means people who is interested in the rocket because of Yao can never be accepted as the rocket fans?

If that is the case, you guys can go on and continue the discrimination, I will still be "Yao's fan" and I will cheer for the rocket team ,as in your word , a"non-rocket" fan.

:rolleyes:

17. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Yun,

I'm not sure if your words are directed at me, but since you quoted what I said, I'll try to respond.

The label "Yao only" fan appears to mean people that are only Rox fans because Yao is on the team, and would be willing to sacrifice some of the Rox success if that would increase Yao's performance. My post was based on that fairly common understanding of what the term "Yao only" fan means.

The last part of my post warned not to label people "Yao only" fans because many people are huge Yao fans, but are also Rox fans. It sounds like you are a Yao and Rox fan, not a Yao only fan. I judge opinions from BBS members based on the merit of the opinion or suggestion, not based on whether they're "Yao only" fans or not. For example, if a "Yao only" fan makes a perfectly fine suggestion, like say trading Mobley for someone that is willing to pass to Yao more . . . I couldn't agree with that suggestion more. But because it is good for the team. If a Rox fan suggests that we should trade Yao to another team that will use him better, then I think that stinks, because that is not good for the Rox, and is purely to boost Yao's individual career.

Lastly, in no way did I intend to sound discriminatory or insulting to Asian people. I am one. I have experienced negative comments to my culture. My words aren't always well said, so I apologize if I offended.

18. Yun

Yun Member

Sorry! Rieley dog, My emotion got a better part of me.

Actually, your post is not that insulting comparing to other posts that I have been reading.
    It is just that I am at the point to get it out of my chest.

I am a minority and I absolutely hate discrimination of any kind.
    There is too much discrimination already in the society.
    I found it very disturbing to see it even in the basketball message board.

Yao Ming attracts many new people to watch the rocket game because he is Asian and he also plays well.
    Of course, Asians would want him to success and proud of him.
    If I were Asians outside the U.S or outside Houston, who knew nothing about the ROX before,why would I start watching, the ROX if it was not because of him?

A lot of people embrass the ROX as our team since our favorite player is in the team.

You can argue that the loyalty to the team is in question but what do you expect people to do when they know the team for only 6 months?

It does not mean that becuase we are new and we like Yao Ming, we do not care for the team or want the team to loose.
    On the contrary, we want the team to win along with Yao to success.

On this MB, though, a lot of time, when people support Yao MIng, they were labelled as "Yao's only fan".
    This label comes up everytime that there is a heated arguement involving Yao.
    It merely to discredit the people at the other side of the arguement, as being a idiot who does not care for the team.

It does not add to or subtract from the reasoning of the arguement that they were having.

It is simply the labelling for discrimination.

If people think that the reasoning of an arguement is stupid, then You should say"It is stupid" not "It is stupid because it is from Yao'only fan".
    That is to me like saying "It is stupid because it is from (insert race here).

Anyway, I am venting too much.

Thank you for listening.

:)

19. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Care to elaborate? How many suites have been sold and why would this writing put in such a blatant error in his article?

20. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Heh heh... :D