1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Thoughts From Philly

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nyrocket, Feb 8, 2001.

1. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

You know you have a problem when you find your dumb ass compelled to train down to Philly from NYC to watch the boys play. But I just can’t get enough of watching these kids.

I was really impressed with the arena. It’s well laid-out, tons of concessions, no lines to speak of, good sight lines, friendly staff, and, I must say, pretty cool fans.

A pre-game highlight was spotting World B. Free, who apparently works for the Sixers in some PR capacity. He and Murph obviously employ the same tailor. I remembered seeing him light the Rockets up for 50 at the Summit back in, oh, 1982 or so when he was with the Warriors. Does anyone else remember that game?

Anyway, I really like our team, even when Cuttino’s 5 for 25 or Dream’s b****ing, because overall they seem to have really strong chemistry on and off the floor, and that’s fun to watch. I especially like how as they take the floor before tip-off the starters go over and tap fists with Murph. (Do they do that at home, too?) It just gives the impression of organization-wide solidarity, which is cool. I also like the fact that Mooch is standing there chest butting the guys before they get to Murph.

Which leads me to the observation that even in light of Franchise, Cat and Dream all showing up with great games, a huge and so far overlooked key to last night’s win was Moochie’s defense against Iverson. I would say that 20 of Mooch’s 25 or so minutes were spent guarding Iverson, even when Franchise was on the floor at the same time, and I thought he did a great job chasing Iverson around the court through the picks they set in the middle of the lane as he races from one wing to the other. Mooch was always right there with him, and I can remember Iverson getting only a few easy baskets.

So when celebrating this great win, don’t forget Mooch.

I wonder what we’ll try to do with Stack tonight.

And finally, I think I remember reading where Rudy said this a week or so ago, and I agree with him: There’s no such thing as running up the score in the NBA.

------------------

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm jealous! I wish we had a more frequent train to Dallas and one to SA.

Moooochiee!

3. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

We'll let Stack get his 60 and let the rest of them get 10. [​IMG]

Rockets 98
    Piston 70

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------

4. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Oh! Wrong thread! [​IMG]

------------------

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Heypartner,

If you order your tickets when they go on special (about every five or six weeks), you can get round trip tickets to Dallas or San Antonio for about $75 on Southwest airlines. After four roundtrips that are purched on the Internet, you get a free ticket good for anywhere SW flies. You could use that to go see a game in LA or seattle or NY.....or you can take that ticket and sell it (actually, you sell the drink coupons that come with it, and you "give" away the free ticket to that buyer) for $325 on ebay. In other words, you end up making money to fly southwest.

Thought you'd like to know...

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

6. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

7. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

nyrocket,

Good observation on Moochie defense on Iverson. I actually followed Mooch when I reviewed the game last night and I must agree he did a great job on Iverson. He contained him in my opinion. No one completely stops Iverson cause he shoots so damn much he is gonna get his points. But like you said he didnt get to many open shots, namely penetration layups.

I think that when guarding Iverson you make him beat you from the perimeter. He isnt that great of a shooter. He makes his living by penetrating and finishing or getting fouled in the act of shooting. He only had 6 ft attempts last night which I think is remarkable because that is where he makes a killing.

He does however have a way of hitting that "big shot" when needed if the game is close. I was glad to see the game out of reach so he wouldnt have the chance to be a hero once again.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

8. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

Yep, that and keep him off the line. He had only 6 FT attempts last night. Awesome. Compare that to Cat's 12.

------------------

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Trains are more fun...for getting psyched, building up your anticipation, and sleeping it off on the way back.

jamcracker...could you imagine a bullet train to Dallas...why'd we waste the money on the superconductor when we really needed a super conductor.

Besides, I have vertigo and already fly waaaaay too much for my nerves.

10. OT

OT Member

heyparther
    great post about the superconductor!!!LOL Not everyone will catch it though.

------------------

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Also at the game
    while I also thought the arena was great, i couldnt believe how big it was. I think it seats something like 21,000 or some huge number and my seats in the upper level were significantly higher than the Rockets upper level seats (of course, after a few beers and a 20-6 first quarter rockets run I couldnt tell the difference).

Also, World B. Free has been marketing for the 76ers for a few years now. It started when Croce came and they did a lot of community basketball camps and the like.

------------------

12. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

nyrocket? What kind of dumbass name is that? [​IMG]

------------------
    Jazzkiller