1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Thoughts After Watching the Preseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Oct 22, 2014.

1. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Extending your analysis, I'm not worried about 33% 3 point shooting. That equates to 50% 2 point shooting, which most people would be very happy with. And I'm sure that number will rise some as Ariza settles into the offense and we shorten the leash on who gets to drop bombs from downtown

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Do you want Harden or Daniels to defend the opposing PG?

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Troy Daniels needs to do more than shoot 3s. He is a very good shooter, but I feel like all he does is wait around the three point line on offense. Like move around dude, drive in. When you have the ball, go in for a layup sometimes, or kick it out.

4. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Looks like one of the worst benches in the NBA

5. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I don't know man. He basically is a one trick pony on offense, but he is really great at that trick. He is tiny and deadly from 3. If he stands out there he either always has a man on him or he will make the other team pay if his guy goes to help out. I say stay behind the 3pt line - move around a bit behind the 3pt line, but I don't Need to see him driving unless there is a wide open corridor to the basket.

6. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Exactly right, however if your coach does not give you any instructions and provide teammates with the tools to get Daniels open, what's the point? And a guy like Dell Curry was also not the most mobile guy, had just to get open and bury a 3 or long 2.

Daniels has the quickness though to get into the paint when he has the ball, but I'm sure he wanted to stick to his strengths this pre-season for playing time purposes. Though if Ish Smith can drive and dribble inside the paint like a maniac and get the back-up PG over Canaan, there's no reason for Daniels to have gone nuts with it.

7. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

*not to have gone nuts with it.

8. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I'm actually really, really excited for this season.

Howard is past all the ORL/LA drama, in phenomenal shape, and will hopefully be coming back mentally tough after the POR team failure.

Harden is looking like he is going to..."try" to actually defend better, and he's definitely on his game it looks like.

Ariza? OMG, seriously, our #1 guy from 4 years ago is now our 3rd/4th option? I'm sorry, I adored Parsons, but this was a great GREAT pickup and I trust his shot, D, rebs, and attack more already, so hopefully his chemistry will be good.

TJ needs to be consistent in something. And he doesn't need to take anymore 3s. I don't know if this is some Lamar Odom thing going on, but I can't stand how he goes from All-Star to rookie within 2 games. The potential is ALL there tho.

Beverly... there's just something about him that makes you wanna root for him. He's a beast, hyper, and just has a Mad Max-esque feel (minus the insane clutch shooting, lol). I wish he was a better shooter and/or assist man, but he's coming along and his energy and defense are insane.

Most of the potential bench look pretty dam good to me, and I really like the group of guys we have to carry the 2nd and 3rd units in comparison to last year. Sorry, I loved Lin as a person and think he has moments, but I am really glad he's gone from this team. Asik as well with his mopey self (WHAT a backup he would've been).

Also, being underrated by everyone just makes me feel even better. F 'em! The only thing probably holding us back in the end is...McHale. I wish I felt like the guy actually set some plays in motion for the team, but I never feel like there's something there. Its not that our offense hasn't been good, its that its gimmicky and not in a dependable way.

Sure, we lost to POR, but honestly in the end they played better as a team, had the SAME record as us, and Harden, Parsons, and Lin really underperformed for the most part.

I think we moved forward, even tho we didn't back it up with the "names" that basketball society and sports media require. Go Rockets!

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

6-2 Preseason (7-1 potentially because we could have won that Miami game with starters)

Rockets WC Preseason champs again. Congrats

10. Raven

Raven Member

All I see is a weak bench that will force McHale to either play his starters too many minutes or risk missing the playoffs.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

So D - Mo or Kostas starts at the 4 what a joke... I'd rather see Black, Adrien, clark or Dorsey there at least we would be tougher against the elite power forwards of the west.

12. Chamillionaire

I guess Daniels. It's a lose-lose situation there. Good question.

13. Chamillionaire

Not starting. This would a good lineup though.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

depressing time to be a rockets fan.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm sorry you feel this way.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

My thoughts are:

Harden is going to be a top 5ish MVP candidate again

Dwight and Harden will be all NBA 1st team

The worries about our bench are overblown and that a trade will happen at some point to bolster the team

Our 3 point shooting and defense are going to be much better than last year

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

haters gon hate..

18. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I fixed your statement for you. Take your Debbie downer stuff out of here.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Interesting. May I ask what you were expecting? It was preseason.

20. BonziWellsGOAT

Excuse me sir, may I jerk your knee please?