1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Props for Chuck's Second Quarter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, May 5, 2009.

1. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Yep, I just love this team top to bottom.

Artest is the only guy I'm a little iffy on some nights, but I know he's playing his heart out.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I give Hayes tons of props - see post above - but let's not overlook the fact that he had a subpar year. Per 82games.com, his Roland Rating was worse than anyone's but James White and Brian Cook, and for someone who played as many minutes as he did, he was way worse than everyone else on the team. Take that stat for what it's worth, but stats or just watching him this year, it was obvious he was off.

Chicken or the egg? Did he play worse because he played less and was used differently, or vice versa? I think he's at least as much to blame for his diminished role as Adelman is - whether because he's settled in his contract, misses T-Mac (which is certainly true, Chuck is the perfect T-Mac role player) or whatever.

What's more, opposing team's PF's have been more effective against him this year. He even struggled against Portland. I think that had as much to do with the type of PF that Aldridge is though - Aldridge isn't even going to try and back Chuck down anyway, he'll just pop that 15 footer in his face because that's his game.

In either case, Chuck has been off this year.

But last night...vintage Chuckwagon, was awesome. I hope he keeps it up. I am highly confident that, unless Gasol or Bynum figure out they can just shoot turnaround jumpers on Chuck (in which case, they'd have to make them anyway), that Chuck can continue to play effectively on defense against those two.

3. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I approve, and really like, this post :p

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, I do the exact same thing. And ditto on Doug Collins. When Collins came out with the "pretty good defender" part, I laughed. Hayes is one of the very best, if not the best, post defenders in the league. If you actually charted out post up possessions against defenders, I am confident that you would see a lower percentage of success with a bucket or foul against Chuck than any other player in the league, save for possibly Howard. It is unbelievable that teams haven't figured out that the way to beat Hayes is to face up, fade out, catch and shoot. He can't block the fade away jumper. But he makes everything difficult. What the offensive player playing against him has to do is face up, push him in, then step out, receive the pass and fire. If the offensive player tries to do anything else, he's in trouble. Hayes is too quick to be driven around. He's too strong to be posted up. The only option against him is catch and shoot if he gives up the space for it.

5. bjshot

bjshot Member

yes, well said.

6. bjshot

bjshot Member

That's probably because many of his play time came from gabage time.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

That was an absolutely genius coaching move putting Chuck in at that point in time. The game had just gotten a little chippy and emotions were running high, and we needed some toughness on the court to sustain what could've been a meltdown.

Chuck Hayes is the ultimate role player. Gets in there, does nothing but get the job done and help the team.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Well, Yao was in foul trouble at that stage. Otherwise, I think he would have played a few minutes into the second quarter, rested for 5 minutes or so (with probably Landry or Scola subbing in), and then return.

But Chuck played great, and I think he'll earn some playing time in game 2.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

so did Brent Barry's, and Deke's (in his limited minutes)...heck even Luther Head. I'd agree that it is just one random stat, though.

Let's just say Chuck was awesome last night, which is a change back to the old Chuck, is much appreciated, and we hope continues.

10. Jimes

Jimes Member

I actually thought his D on Gasol was just as good. Gasol has better post moves than Bynum IMO and Pau faked a spin to his left then spun right to the baseline but Chuck cut him off beautifully so he had to pick up his dribble and pass it. It was beautiful! (Just like how that one play where Battier was all over all of Kobe's fakes causing him to miss that close shot.. I love good D!)

11. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

Watchin' Hayes play defense is a thing of beauty. Short and STRONG makes Hayes a defensive BEAST!!!!!!!! :mad:

12. Hanbin

Hanbin Member

Yep, got to love the Chuckwagon on defense. I love seeing all the people out there saying that we will be in trouble if Chuck is in because Gasol and Bynum will pound us in the post.

Obviously, they don't watch Chuck Hayes shut people down in there - he does not get backed down toward the basket by anyone. It's incredible how well he can hold his ground and still be at the right spot whenever the offensive player moves to another shot.

13. motionsiknes

motionsiknes Member

Chuck will get his, maybe not as much as Battier but he will someday.

I am sure many GM's in the league know he is underrated.

14. jondoe

jondoe Member

Chuck is the epitome of the 09 Rockets: Tough, gritty, won't back down. How can you not keep a guy like Chuck around?

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

A little love for Chuck

Big 5 minutes last night, and im not being sarcastic. Great D on bynum pushing him off the block, and couple of offensive boards

16. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Absolutely, he shut down Bynum and Gasol in his short time on the floor. Chuck's just a beast.

17. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

Chuck is an amazing player. This man used to be the starter for us and now just sitting on the bench waiting for his name to be call and when his name is called he go all out like he's still a starter. kudos Chuck Wagon!

18. Super Von

Super Von Member

Love watching the wagon play defense against guys so much taller than him.

Guy is a fridge.

19. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I thought it was especially hilarious that the Lakers kept trying to go to the "mismatch" inside with Gasol or Bynum on Chuck. Silly. It yielded two missed shots and a turnover, if I recall correctly.

Opposing teams continue to underestimate Chuck's defense and just go at him based of height. When will they learn?

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

got to it too late but chuck on 610 now, hopefully a podcast will be up later