1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some of y'all owe Stone a apology

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeemthagreat, Aug 3, 2021.

1. hakeemthagreat

From the time he got the job as GM there has been a underlining narrative that he isn’t smart enough. Through the Harden drama you said Stone mishandled the situation, even though Harden being a crybaby was on Morey. Once he was traded yall complained Stone didn’t get enough and cried about him not taking the Ben Simmons offer smh. You called this franchise a joke under only his first season. You said the picks he acquired wouldn't amount to anything. MY HAVE THINGS CHANGED!

Who will be the first to admit how WRONG you were? Or do i need to name names lol

2. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Unless an incredibly stupid move (ie: Hopkins for junk) is made by a gm, its silly to judge too soon. It takes years for them to build a resume of failure/success. Stone seems very capable so far and I remain cautiously optimistic.

3. Rockets4Life13

Clutchfans is full of negative, whiny people that are ready to bash everyone and everything.

Stone was/is no exception. I like every single move he made so far. Even the LaVert/Dipo move, i wouldn’t want LaVert on this team right now.

#3 Rockets4Life13, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I actually don’t remember any of the adults on this Board belittling TheStoneMason.

This season may be too good to be a tank and that should further facilitate the Youth Corps.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Welcome to the Great Inter Webz breh.

Nook, roslolian, burlesk and 2 others like this.
  6. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I’m sorry, I don’t apologize.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You're totally right. Please DM me so I can give you my info to send the front row tickets to so I can speak to him directly.

Yours in loving trust, amen,
    Xerobull

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This. We know who the haters are. We know who the adults in the room are. And I don't recall any of the better posters here belittling Stone. Although maybe a few of them were unhappy with the Harden trade. I wasn't because I realize the haul for a superstar like Harden will be disappointing 100% of the time and has been 100% of the time throughout history.

So far though, I am very pleased with Stone. I was a little worried he would overpay to keep guys like Olynyk, Brown, Bradley, etc. That is a common mistake by General Managers. Instead, he locks in Nwaba to a very reasonable contract and nabs up Theis for another very reasonable contract. I am particularly excited about Theis because screening is probably the best part of his game. And guys like Jalen Green and Kevin Porter Jr and even Josh Christopher are going to kill it off good screens.

If I had one request, though, it would be to grab at least one of these "second draft" type guys. I see a number of them I would be interested in giving a try. A few of them I think could even be had for the minimum and would be worth a look at that price. The ones I have my eyes on are:

Isaac Bonga - unrestricted - hasn't done anything yet but he's been on terrible teams and is still only 21 years old. He also has freakish height and wingspan.
    Jarred Vanderbilt - restricted - only 22 and has been decent off the bench.
    Malik Monk - unrestricted - only 23 and put together his first solid season last year. He really seemed to have turned the corner. Only problem is we are already pretty loaded with young guards.
    Harry Giles - unrestricted - health has been an issue but he still has the tools and is only 23.
    Tony Bradley - unrestricted - had a pretty decent season off the bench in OKC and is still only 23 years old.
    Isaiah Hartenstein - unrestricted - future MVP. only 23 years old.

I'd also be interested in Justice Winslow for cheap (only 25) or Kelly Oubre Jr (also 25) if he could be had for the full MLE but I think that's doubtful.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Name Names!!
    Right now DAMMIT!!

Rocket River

roslolian, Jontro and Ramo$e like this.
  10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I believe STONE is doing a awesome job, we just need Porter, Wood and Wall to be the leader of this team and score 20 plus, get their 3 point and free throw shooting up and cut down on turnovers.....we should be good.

burlesk likes this.
  11. photojoe

photojoe Member

Clutchfans can sometimes be so quick to overreact and to make huge drastic overstatements. At this point, it doesn't have to be either that Stone is a complete moron and incompetent, or is he a genius and an upgrade over Morey. Give him time. We're in the middle of a several year process of overhauling and rebuilding our team.

I didn't love the return for Harden not getting a young potential all star or guaranteed lottery pick. I thought the Allen/LeVert to Oladpio to Olynyk/Bradley who we had for half of a lost season and then lost for nothing was all poorly executed. Getting KPJ and four 19 year olds in this draft looks to be a pretty huge step for him. If one or two of those young guys don't work out, that may be more of an indication of the player themselves than on Stone's ability.

Just today there was a thread that said Stone made a huge mistake in signing Nwaba and Theis but not Brown or Olynyk, and now this thread that says we should all apologize to Stone because he's like a genius or something. Give him more time.

kjayp, MultipleSauces and burlesk like this.
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

This is a "what have you done for me lately" league. Unless Stone brings us multiple titles then people will always complain.

Look at Sam Presti, he literally drafted Harden, Westbrook and Durant which made the finals but he still has many haters within his own franchise.

13. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

I will apologize once he gets rid of Wall, House and Gordon.

Then he will earn my respect.

burlesk, FrontRunner, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

My biggest fear (and probably when I was the most negative about Stone) was the post Harden and Oladipo trades. It looked like Tilman and Stone were still trying to stay competitive.

The injuries and Oladipo's play forced their hand to lose and scout a bunch of new raw talent from the G League, which, whatever the reason was, ended up working out.

Like others have said, the fact that House is still on the roster is still a -1 for me.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Typical CF posts in August even before the summer league started.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Knee jerk reaction poster creates a thread about knee jerk reaction posters.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Well he did think Victor O could help us contend for a playoff spot. Thankfully, he rejected that extension or we would be royally effed.

Stone & company have an eye for young talent.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What a stupid thread. You can’t crown this guy before seeing the results of any of his moves. All of our picks could be busts and this team could be back in the lottery next year with nothing to look forward to. Look, I’m not saying you can’t be optimistic - I’m optimistic! But you shouldn’t celebrate the success that we haven’t even had yet.

YOLO, Hippieloser, slothy420 and 5 others like this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I'll take a raincheck on that apology

If there was any chance Tilman would cave to Harden's trade demand....
    then they should've traded him before the season began when they could've
    received more in return. Still tank as well as we did; receive Jalen
    Green as same result.

LaVert, Jarrett Allen, Oladipo, DJ Wilson, Augustin, Wall, Avery Bradley, Kurocs,
    we're all a case of fumblitis that we either lost the ball or luckily recovered.

McLemore, Oladipo trades gave us a look at how Olynyk type could preform
    in the Silas system.....but he was just a rental.

The Tucker trade was the big accomplishment though. A first round pick for
    Tucker was amazing. Good job on that move Stone.....the rest is still
    pending.

FrontRunner, Jontro and D-rock like this.
  20. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I've liked the vast majority of what he's done but it's way too early to call scoreboard.

Green vs. Mobley was one of his most important decisions thus far and in the next year or two will be a big data point for evaluating him.

Milos likes this.