1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Michal Jordan Ex-Teammates Have Said Kobe is Better

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shroopy2, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Steve Kerr during an interview said Kobe is a better 3pt shooter and ball handler. Jordan is much better physically and has a solid post game

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I bet it was Kwame

3. Steve_Francis_rules

Come on guys. Kobe played through a much weaker era than MJ did (the early 2000s were really lacking in talent) and put up worse numbers in literally every category other than 3pt shooting. Clearly, he is the better player! :rolleyes:

4. zzpot

zzpot Member

Damn..

MJ is lucky he still has his own teeth... or does he ??

Maybe on the days he said those things he was in a joyful and inspirational mood and wanted to share his love and happiness with those he cared for the most... Yeah thats it.

zzpot puff puff :cool:

5. jlwee

jlwee Member

.......... and kobe only has the gut to slap Gasol's head......

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Agreed. Kobe skills are arguably better but for whatever reason (one being he isn't near the athlete Jordan was) he can't translate those skills into high percentage shots as well and is thus less effective.

Agree here too except for the ball-handling part. Jordan was as good a ball-handler as you will see from the SG position from what I remember. Although, he tended to catch and either shoot or go to the hole and not hang out on the perimeter shaking and baking while he directed the offense.

I think the biggest difference is that Jordan's moves were efficient and were made to get himself in the best position to score. Kobe has a little more fluff and finesse to his game (and sometimes makes moves that are really needed) and maybe that makes him look like the more skilled player. Jordan just blew by you and tomahawked on you or rose up and shot 3 feet over the top your your head early on in his career and then posted and fadeaway when he was older. He didn't attempt to refine 10 somewhat effective moves, he just mastered 4-5 completely deadly ones.

7. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

As I stated in my old "IF KOBE WINS HIS 5TH RING IS HE BETTER THAN JORDAN" thread after the 2nd round of last years playoffs (that got mysteriously deleted by the mods:rolleyes:), you can make the argument that Kobe has won 2 of his rings with FAR less talent than Jordan ever had. Jordan had Pippen and Kobe had, well, Pau Gasol lol. A all time 50 great, maybe best defender ever, point foward verses Gasol, who may or may not show up but 2 or 3 games in a playoff series. NO COMPARISION.......Kobe winning last year against a far superior Celtic team atleast makes an argument he's better

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

You're forgetting that there is a very strong argument that Kobe was not even the best player on his own team during that Finals series victory.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Just sounds like a case of short memory. Kobe's been bringing it since Jordan retired the 2nd time and Jordan only had that short Wizards stint to back himself.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=186397

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W_WNTx3gG_s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W_WNTx3gG_s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

12. zzpot

zzpot Member

Would it be too much of a stretch to think that maybe Kobe knows or has heard the history of how Vile and Putrid Michael Jordan really is/was as a person ??

If you answer yes, could we now exercise human nature and believe that Kobe really does want to be like Mike in every way.

Growing up Kobe had to see the commercials on TV like everyone else, with kids saying I want to be like Mike.

So, logical deduction (and 2 reruns back to back of Monk) brings me to conclude that Kobe has no choice but to do everything he can, including making his soul as Putrid and Vile as MJ's, else he will never be as great as Michael Jordan.

Sounds sick right.... But it could be more truth that fiction.

zzpot puff puff :cool:

13. zzpot

zzpot Member

opps... I forgot to add.... If you say NO you can stop reading right now !!

Dang... looks like I'm gonna have to work on that. :grin:

zzpot puff puff puff :cool:

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I could reel off many reasons why MJ is better, but let's just leave it at this.....

MJ won all those titles with nothing inside ...Kobe always had quality size....

And yes, he drove his teammates....whipped them ...dragged them kicking and screaming to all those titles.
    Most of them would have been irrelevant.....so let them cry.

15. keeyanballa08

keeyanballa08 Member

Who is the worst player on this list? Asking this because in the future, when they list the top 10 players of all time again (with the idea that they will be adding somebody), obviously, one of them will have to be knocked off. I can't decide.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well, it is true that Kobe is a better ballhander and 3 pt shooter. Doesn't automatically follow that he is better.

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Sounded like Phil agreed that Kobe had better "basketball skills" and went on to describe how Jordan was more physically gifted and better inside (likely because of these physically gifts). I completely agree with that assessment.

And, it probably isn't fair to compare players of different eras based solely on skillsets. But, is it fair to compare them on how they've dominated in their respective eras? They played under different rules and against different players.

I might say Jordan is better but I wouldn't blindly point to his fg% without taking into account all the other factors of the game.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

MJ had bigger hands that Shaq but a few millimeters. That alone is an explanation why hard fouls then (flagrant now) did not dislodge the ball out of Mike's hands whilst he was able to do crazy at the rim shots and get the and 1.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Kerr was the personal punching bag of MJ... NO love lost there. I personally don't think Kobe is the better ball handler, he just shared duties with Pippen handling the ball.

Kobe is a better 3 point shooter, but who cares... MJ didn't need to hit the 3 ball when he was shooting 50% from the floor.

Defensively it isn't even close.. and it isn't leadership wise either....

Kobe is a hell of a player, but he shouldnt be in the discussion with MJ

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Different Era, different skill sets.

Kobe's ball handling is an advantage in today's NBA with no hand checking.

Jordan modelled his game with physical play, when handchecking was allowed.

Jordan faced HOF centers every few games, Kobe gets to go against Brad Miller.

Kobe played in an era with lesser talent and rules that made perimeter play more effective.