1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some Chinese nicknames for Rockets players, plus their huge following in China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Munir Ming, Dec 30, 2009.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Interesting. Thanks.

It just stood out to me because of the comment I saw posted in that game thread a while back.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I am pleased, and proud, that Yao Ming is a Rocket. He is a great representative of the human race. China has every right to be proud that Yao represents his people, his culture so well.

I respect what Yao has accomplished as a person and as a basketball player. If there were more like him this would be a better planet.

BTW - I have enjoyed the various Chinese nicknames for Rockets players. What is the nickname for June '11, Champions?!!

3. rhinology

rhinology Member

"Black" in China has nothing to do with racism. "Black" in "little black bean" is same as "big" in "big Yao". Nothing else.

4. Francis 4 ever

Americans are super politically correct. If you call a black man black then its racist in the USA, but it is just descriptive in China.

5. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Chinese nicks are way better than American nicks...

CB4
    CP3
    AK47
    KG21
    KB24
    LBJ23

etc etc etc

6. foo82

foo82 Member

Honestly, I don't see any racist connotations there. Just replace small black bean with any other nickname and it makes just as much sense. I really hate how PC we've become. Why refer to black people as African Americans? Majority of them have nothing to do with Africa. You don't see white people refered to as german-americans or french americans. We refer to white people as white people. Yet somehow if we use the word black it has a negative connotation now?

7. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

People are too sensitive, using "Black" to describe a person in this context is the same as "Asian" or "White" or whatevers, if you are offended you need to have higher self esteem.

8. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

No man...AK47 is an epic nickname.

9. roxwin

roxwin Member

'little black bean" means Brooks is quick and small guy on the court,and he is Africa American,nothing harm.I,personally like it very much all these nicknames,that proves we had many Rox fans from China who are still following the team even with Yao out of season.

10. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

You are missing the point, 80% of nicks = a player's initials + their number

11. BaiHua

BaiHua Member

Rockets fans around me call scola the best actor as he flops a lot and is damn good at acting. :grin:

Anyway, what I wanna point out is everyone in rockets’ uniform is superstar to me, following every rockets game thanks to the thing called internet. ;)

As for the last paragraph, it is just the view of OP and does not stand for all rockets fans in China. My idol is Yao who has me become a rockets fan initially, than I have been following every rockets game this season even without Yao. To me, it is as simple as that, unlike those complicated thing what OP came out. :eek:

12. BaiHua

BaiHua Member

come on man, it is universal thing. we call that puss*y. we gotta be on the same page! right? ;)

13. BaiHua

BaiHua Member

recently I heard cctv's commentator called ariza clanking king :grin: Good for Trevor

14. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Apparently Ariza is called a 'blacksmith' by Chinese fans because he clanks, clanks, clanks...

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Exactly right.

But the truth is that there are many people in the U.S. who walk around with an enormous chip on their shoulder with regards to this issue.

16. AXG

AXG Member

There you go! Ariza "The Blacksmith"

17. wombat

wombat Member

buns.

18. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Which was picked by AK himself (He picked his number 47 purposely), who is a Russian. ;)

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Damn. Some Rockets get names like God Bird and 4-Carat, and Brooks gets Little Black Bean. Poor guy.

20. TimBly15

TimBly15 Member