1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solution To Getting Yao The Ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jevon3012, Mar 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

We all agree that Yao does not get enough shots and in clutch time, its hard for him to get the ball. Well, I've been thinking and I think I have the solution now. We have to use the strengths we have. Brooks is fast and gets past his man easily but always has trouble finishing against help defence right?

My solution is to have Brooks drive the ball past his defender and instead of taking it all the way, he goes up to Yao and deposits the ball in Yao's hands. If the defenders start expecting this, you can even turn it into a fake where Brooks just takes it all the way.

Its like the pick and roll but backwards.

2. kevtse

kevtse Member

LOL~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

4. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

I get it... Kinda like a hand off, a toss play if you will. Brilliant!!! :rolleyes:

5. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Or we could have 3 guys throw the ball to each other behind the three point line for 23 seconds and then have someone throw up a prayer. For some reason, that doesn't seem to have worked so far.

6. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=164732

7. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

Stupid Rockets coaching staff! They never thought of this! Brilliant - get the president on the phone!

There's no way the opponents ever adapt to anything the Rockets do - no way at all.

8. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

The solution has to be yao gets alot of touches through out the game. He needs to be more aggresive, when he has the ball. sometimes when he starts getting doubled he becomes to passive and looks to find his teammates.

So either....

1. Yao has team try to get a good shot even when he is doubled.
    1A. this will be subject to more turnovers though.
    2. Yao needs to find the shooters and they need to penatrate ala wafer.
    2A. Which is why i like wafer playing the last couple of minutes it throws another dynamic on the floor. that we don't have with the lineups to end games. A player that can make something happen!

Until Yao has the mentality that he WILL take this game over we are gonna struggle to finish.

Opinions?

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Even better, have him wear a brown UPS driver outfit while doing it.

10. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

What does this have to do with what I said? The problem isn't desire, the problem is how do you get him the ball when hes getting denied and fronted. Its nice to say "get him the ball" but they CAN'T. What I've stated is a way to possibly get Yao the ball without risk for turnover for a few plays in the game. Its not a gameplan, it may just be an additional play. No one has stated thus far why this will not work.

11. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

They have plays that should get him the ball not only in post up situations, when he is fronted, Yao pins his guy, it just a tough pass to throw and catch for the team. If it works it's genious, if not prople say we are forcing it to him.

Bottom line is nobody on this team is a good passer besides lowry and brooks and artest don't have the vision to catch him backside when he is open!

12. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

It has everything to do with it.

Until the team decide that there gonna get Yao the ball, regardless of what the defense is doing... And until Yao decides that he's gonna get the ball at any cost...The same result is inevitable.

There's no excuse for a 7 year vet not to be able to touch the ball at the end of the game. None...

13. platinum

platinum Member

This is not a complete solution, but the idea could help to have some plays from this.

14. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Again, its very simple to say until the team decides to get the ball to Yao regardless, etc, etc. There a huge difference between what you want to do and what the defence is letting you do. Their strategy seems to already have been figured out by the opposing team.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Dwight Howard gets about the same number of shots per minute as Yao (if you take into account free throws), even though the Magic don't run nearly as many post up plays for him.

Why is that?

16. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

You're totally right... The strategy is no secret at all, simular to how everyone knows what the Lakers, Spurs, Hornets, and Jazz are gonna do at the end of the game.

You're gonna go to your big guns, your best players... And you've gotta make a commitment as a team to make that happen.

There are no secrets, you have to execute regardless. If you wanna contend that is...

17. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

Great thread by the way... I really love this topic!!!

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I've never heard of this before. I've never heard of a center having such a difficult time getting the ball in the pro game.

We have a coach with tons of experience. We have players who've been playing ball their entire lives and are among the top .01% of players in the world.

And the issue is...we can't get the 7'6" guy the ball.

Where am I?

19. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

better offensive rebounder?

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's just a combination of factors that make it difficult for us. Yao can't catch the ball unless it's thrown directly to him because of his balance issues and lack of mobility. We don't have many really good passers on the floor that have size and can get the ball to Yao over defenders. And when the perimeter guys that have size (Battier, Artest, Barry) are getting pressured by the defense to deny the pass, they aren't good enough off the dribble to drive past their man and make something happen.