1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

soft spots for losing teams...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bronxfan, Nov 27, 2009.

1. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

which professional teams franchises that in general are known as "losers" do you tend to root for and hope one day to see them on top (and any losing franchises you don't care if they continue to lose)

NBA:
    clippers - for no other reasons, it would drive the lakers crazy
    hawks - no reason
    minnesota - make up for garnett
    stay losing - knicks

NFL:
    seattle
    kansas city
    stay losing - oakland - al davis just irks me

MLB:
    kansas city
    baltimore
    pittsburgh
    stay losing: s.f. giants - not really terrible losers - but ignoring what bonds was doing just annoying

2. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Memphis Grizzles- I like Grizzles

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I actually like the Knicks. The only big market team i like in all of sports. I think they have great fans. I remember a couple seasons ago when the Rockets played them. Yao and company were doing them so bad, that the Knicks crowd actually started cheering for the Rockets. :grin:

4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

mets
    rockets
    niners

5. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

so how do they have great fans again?

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It would warm the cockles of my heart to see the Cleveland Browns, LA Clippers, and KC Royals finally get to a championship game.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

College Football:
    Nebraska - Classiest fans in the country, by far. Those option teams in the 90's were so much fun to watch.
    Notre Dame - No fun to hate when they suck.

College Basketball:
    UH - Will Phi Slamma Jamma ever return?

NFL:
    Detroit - Good loyal football fans. They deserve more than they've gotten since Barry retired.
    Houston - Good loyal football fans. They deserve more than they've gotten since the Oilers left.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

College Basketball -
    A&M Aggies
    Alabama

College Football -
    A&M Aggies (Mainly, I wanna see Jerrod Johnson do well...)

NBA -
    Grizzlies
    Clippers (I wanna see a Lakers vs. Clippers WCF!)
    Rockets (for obvious reasons...)

9. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Houston Texans

10. Landlord Landry

I didn't know the Chiefs were generally known as losers around the NFL.

generally, I consider the lions and browns the loveable losers of the NFL.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Chiefs haven't won a playoff game since 93?

They've had some good teams though.

12. PointForward

PointForward Member

the aggies have had so many heart-breaking losses that it's hard for anyone not to root for them to succeed. That game against UCLA still haunts me, Sloan was fouled I swear to god! OMG what could've been!

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

NBA - I think given everything the Rockets have been through in the past 15 years, they have to be the team everybody wants to see win. We work hard, play the game the right way, and just have HORRIBLE luck when it comes to injuries.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Clippers win some day, but that would mean seeing Donald Sterling win, and he's on the short list for worst human beings on this planet. As long as he's the owner of that team, I don't want them to win squat.

MLB - Again, the Astros are a team that has just never had things go their way. We had 2 years of glory and 40 years of heartbreak. Other than the Astros, I think I would love to see the Royals win one.

As far as staying losers, I almost want the Cubs to lose every year more than I want the Astros to win. I just hate them with all my heart.

NFL - The Texans haven't been around long enough for fans to really start calling us "losers", and this is really the first season where we fans have absolutely had our hearts torn out. Ask a Browns or Lions fan how it feels to root for a team that's been close so many times, but never been able to push through. I think those 2 teams get the nod over the Texans.

I think the entire Raiders organization is pathetic. Their fans (sorry Moes) all the way to their owners just reek.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well you're wrong about the entire operation including the fans being pathetic, but it all trickles down from the owner. The mouth-pieces there are only there because of pledging their undying loyalty to Al Davis. Anybody offering a differing opinion is quickly sent packing. Former Raider Greats like Gannon and Tim Brown have tried to offer solutions but their accurate criticism of the organization has only led to their alienation.

The Raiders still have a world-wide fan base and some of the most loyal fans around, but Al Davis has consistently pissed off the local fan base by moving the team away and then back to Oakland again and then threatening to sue the city, etc.

It makes me sad to see great players and human beings like Nnamdi Asomugha and Kirk Morrison stuck in a perpetual suck machine which has given the term "black hole" a very different meaning.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Just once, I'd love to see the Washington Generals blow out the Trotters.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Streak was broken not so long ago... GlobeTrotters lost in a nail-biter. :eek:

17. The Drake

The Drake Member

NFL: my Bengals, of course. and I'd like to see the Lions do well. I've been enjoying the recent success of the Saints and Cardinals for this very reason.

NBA: Rockets, sure, although I don't really think of them as perennial losers. I'd like to see the Clips do well, and I've always had a soft spot for the Wolves, though I don't know why.

MLB: Reds, Royals, Pirates, and Orioles.

NCAA: *sigh* Rice

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I've felt sorry for the Saints since the days of Archie Manning. They have a good team this year, but something horrible will probably happen before the end of the season.

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I like it when Tampa Bay won the superbowl, they were the worst team ever, but finally they won a championship.
    Its nice to cincinnatti doing good, after some bad years.

In the NBA, I would like to see the clippers being good.

I dont think the rockets are recognized as a losing team, last year, they almost defeat the lakers in the playoffs.