1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Soda tax?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lady_Di, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

fixed

it's better than printing or borrowing money like we've been doing the past 8 years or so. :rolleyes:

#61 Nice Rollin, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

I think it is easy to shrug off the concerns of obesity and high sugar contents when you are still relatively young and healthy. But just a couple months of dealing with diabetes makes me much more determined to try to avoid developing Type 2 diabetes later in life. It is pretty horrible and I don't even need to use insulin. Yes, you can live with taking insulin shots regularly but there is a lot more to the disease than that. Personally, I don't wish that on anyone, national health care costs aside.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

how much do the ingredients in a coke cost? you are already being "taxed" for a lack of good taste. sodas, like cigarettes and alcohol are a luxury items. they may give you pleasure but they are not necessary for you and your family to survive. i have no problem taxing the crap out of such things.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Question: so anything above mere substanence is ok to be Taxed to hell?

Tax the crap out of steak because folx could live being Vegans.
    Or maybe just the 'higher' quality steaks.

Where do you draw the line?

Rocket River

5. thegary

a steak is a little more expensive than a potato. you are "taxed."

6. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

Steak, unlike Coke, has high amounts of protein that are good for you. While it is technically possible to have a healthy diet as a vegan, it takes a lot of education. Since our country isn't too strong on education, I would think it might cost us more in the long run if we taxed steak. I draw the line at steak.

7. astros148

astros148 Member

lol @ calling me fat. i can almost bet you my life im in better shape then you ever will be .

The fact that there charging a tax on soda is nonsense. Its not like alcohol or cigs

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How about simply dropping the prices on the Healthy stuff
    instead of raising prices on the unhealthy?

Like I said. . . . Will every vice/preference that those in power don't like. . they simply Tax it while not taxing the things they like/prefer

Rocket River

Rocket River

9. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

Obesity isn't exactly like alcohol or cigarettes. It is a much more widespread problem. Childhood obesity rates are extremely high whereas childhood alcohol and cigarette use is fairly minimal.

10. thegary

i understand your point, i really do. however, choices must be made. i think taxing sodas is great. they are unhealthy and a poor foodstuff.

11. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

I'm not crazy about the prices at places like Whole Foods, so I don't shop there. But dropping prices on the healthier stuff is sometimes easier said than done. I'll define the healthiest food as those foods that have been minimally processed and have a high ratio of nutritinal content to calories. But minimal processing means much shorter shelf life. When you can store foods for very long periods it allows you to release them into the market at more profitable intervals and significantly reduces waste. It costs a lot to bring meats and vegetables to market that have a minimal amount of preservatives, steroids and inseticides and someone has to pay for that (generally the people who shop at farmers markets).

12. astros148

astros148 Member

so are we going put a extra tax on all foods with a trans fat too now

13. ThaBlackKnight

If they are gonna tax cigarettes, might as well tax everything thats unhealthy

soda, fast food, chocolate, ice cream,

smoking kills, obesity kills, heart ailments kill, diabetes kills.

tax anything that can lead to these things.

While we are at it, tax alcohol, as well.

I quit smoking and part of the reason is because of the price, and even though I see it is a bad habit now, I think it should be a personal choice for adults to do the habit or not.

The government shouldn't tax people out of stuff like that...its not really fair.

I understand the argument about kids and smoking...I am definetily anti-smoking when it comes to kids.

But I think EXCESSIVE fast food, soda, and sweets are a bigger concern than for kids, because it is still very much accepted by most people.

It affects more people and kids.

Now, I'm being sarcastic about them taxing that stuff, but I think you have to be consistent with things. I think fast food places should make their foods somewhat healthier. 0 trans fat is a start, but the food is still horribly unhealthy!

I feel, if you are going to tax one product thats harmful to you, you should tax all things that are harmful to you...

or simply get rid of dumb taxes like these...pretty soon they'll have a tax for any random thing that they deem harmful or hazardous

14. Major

Major Member

It is a personal choice.

Why? The rest of us have to pay the health care costs of those people. Is that fair? The tax helps cover those costs.

15. ThaBlackKnight

But everybody doesn't smoke...that is a personal choice one uses in their leisure time to enjoy...

healthcare is similar to income tax and property tax, etc...it doesn't just grow on a tree for us to pick...if we want it, we have to pay taxes for it.

Some people can afford healthcare without insurance...but thats not the majority.

It is a bit unfair...but if my taxes can help save a child or a less fortunate family...I tend to not care about that as much. I volunteer at a county hospital where our tax $ goes...I can't complain about giving to that. Thats just my opinion though.

But something you do in your leisure time should be YOUR choice and should not be taxed for the reason they are taxing it. If tobacco was a premium import or something, then sure, tax it.

But to tax it to try and drive out the habit...although meaning well, is still not right...its unamerican. "Taxation without representation".

I would love to see how the country would react if a big mac meal cost them 7.99 instead of 5.99...there would be a lot of angry people out there, thats for sure.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I drink one Dr. Pepper daily.
    This might effect me a bit. Why don't they tax something like cigarettes? Soda doesn't kill.

17. Major

Major Member

Yes, but if you do something that raises the price of it, you should have to pay for that.

It has a pretty long history in America, and it's not at all taxation without representation.

18. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Wow, I hope you're joking about the "why don't they tax something like cigarrettes" part. WOW.

19. ThaBlackKnight

They already have...Twice.

In 2005, I bought cigarettes for 2.95 per pack (Marlboros)

2006: 3.95

2007: 4.25

2008: 4.50

2009: 5.69 (quit in 2009)

If you think thats bad, in Manhattan, it is $10 per pack now and $8 per pack in the surrounding areas of NY.

Sodas do A LOT of damage as well...causes stuff like diabetes, which is one of the most painful diseases a human can endure. Its a slow and painful death...can cause you pain and complications your entire life.

Not saying cigarettes don't kill, because they are bad as well, but soda shouldn't be off the hook either.

Just look at the nutrition facts on the back of the soda can...simply amazing how much sugar, calories, carbs, and sodium there are in soda.

I'm not saying you are wrong for drinking 1 soda (assuming 12 or 20 oz.)...nothing wrong with that.

But when kids go to McDonalds and buy a Large meal and refill the soda once or sometimes twice for one meal...its scary how bad it will affect them.

Like I said before, you tax one harmful thing, you must tax everything harmful...its only fair...but I think none of this stuff should be taxed. Not right to tax for those reasons. Just become more strict with health guidelines for fast food chains and sodas.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

you can have a healthy diet drinking coke too. in other words, if you want to tax all non-essential items, the only things not taxed are what? bread and water?