1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Soda tax?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lady_Di, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Excellent point. I had not thought about it from this angle.

2. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I think the article mentioned sweetened sodas..

3. Lady_Di

I'm ridiculous rich...do you want me to buy sodas for you? :)

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't mind. I think they should tax high-fructose corn syrup instead though (or maybe in addition). Sodas and other products will probably just shift to sugar to avoid the tax. But, that wouldn't be too shabby an outcome. And, it would affect many more products. Of course, the corn industry would be in a fit over it.

It's funny, I went from an office with a 55 cent coke machine to one with a 25 cent coke machine. Now, I try to curb my consumption for health instead of cost.

5. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

It looks like everyone is for this tax, and I generally am as well. And if it helps financially to put more money towards public health that seems good. But I think it will really only deter people who are particularly frugal. It might help bring more attention to added sugars and HFCS as negatives in your diet.

I rarely shop in my neighborhood but when I do I can't help but be nosey and check out what other people are buying and it's a depressing affirmation that the poorest people in our city also have the worst diets. I am worried a tax like this will do is simply be a further burden to them without discouraging the eating habits at all.

6. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Our sodas our free here...

... and that's what makes it so dangerous...

7. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

It did, I initially only skimmed it. Sorry.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I don't drink sodas, but even if I did I would not mind this. It's appropriate.

Question: Would sodas san HFCS (pure cane sodas) still be taxed? (e.g. Jones Sodas)

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

exactly

10. Lady_Di

yup same here...they have been providing free soda all year...i think i only drank two. it's willpower, people!

11. ling ling

ling ling Member

would you tax fast food and buffets? any restaurant that serves more than 1/2 the daily nutritional value in a single sitting. (1/2 for lunch and 1/2 for dinner)

how about chips, cookies, cakes, and other junk foods?

12. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

diet soda is still bad for you. phosphorus will dissolve your bones.

the best healthcare plan is that americans need to stop eating crappy food and start exercising

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's always relieving how much more even handed and real the comments are here. I read the comments on the Chron site and start to lose faith in the world sometimes.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I kicked the soda habit and lost 14 pounds in about a month. Sodas are evil, but don't think you should tax it. You should just tax fat people or even better idea, charge people by the pound for services. If you take up two seats on an airplane, you need to buy two tickets.

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

they already do that right?

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not really. I've seen a few really big people spill over in the seats.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tax everything...it cures your problems.

might as well tax forum posts too...i mean, all this typing and being in front of a computer is just not good for you.

18. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

I read a great suggestion recently which was that if you make it yourself, from scratch, you don't have to worry so much about the fat and sugar, etc. Consider how rarely people would eat French fries if they had to cut up their own potatoes, fry them, deal with the grease afterwards, etc. Or how rarely you would drink soda if you had to make a trip to Defalco's, mix it up and wait a week. Taxing other junk food like cakes, etc. would be fine with me since I haven't encountered a store bought cake I'd be willing to gag down. And even though I used to make wedding cakes I rarely take the time to bake anymore.
    And would you ever eat things like Cheetos at all?

19. Lady_Di

Yup, the question is, will the gov be out of control by taxing everything? so if they tax the soda, then what's next?

i hate taxes but if it's for a good cause, then ok. this would be non issue if soda wasn't created in first place and HFCS.

I started seeing items that are HFCS free. I bought a ketchup that is HFCS and it tastes just same.

20. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Can't agree with you more. Some of the people there are amazingly ignorant.