1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] WC 2010 Qualifying Games CONCACAF 9/5 and 9/9

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SwoLy-D, Sep 2, 2009.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

For the most part, you're right. There is no excuse for this team to allow teams like El Salvador and T&T to even have a chance. They played down to the competition and seem to have a knack for that lately.

Dempsey runs hot and cold. When he's on, he might be one of the best on the field. When he's cold, he's probably the most dangerous player...to the US. Lazy passes and giving the ball away at the worst possible time and place is what he does best when he's off.

SwoLy,

Adu simply hasn't played well when he's had his chances. He has very little interest in playing defense...which is important for a center mid in the US scheme. Going back to the MLS isn't going to help him. He needs to win a spot in Europe and stay there. Again, he's only 20. There is still plenty of time.

Really?

2. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Like many, I was very high on Freddy Adu. Having seen him in a couple WCQs, I gotta agree...though I wish Bradley would keep him on for the experience. Maybe my hopes are too high for the kid, but he's been on of the more exciting talents for the USA.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

You forgot to mention Jermaine Jones and Edgar Castillo. Castillo is a Mexican LB that has already been approved to make the switch. He can help out at our weakest position. Jones last year was named one of the best CMs in the Bundesliga, he's better than any of our current CMs. Eventually I think that Clark gets passed by both Jones and Edu. Edu was on fire for Rangers at the end of last season and the only reason Clark has even played this summer is because he injured his knee. Here's how I see the 23 for South Africa shaking out:

GK (3)

Howard, Guzan, +1

Defenders (8)

Onyewu, Bocanegra, Demerit, Marshall, Spector, Cherundolo, Bornstein, Castillo

Mids (9)

Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley, Jones, Feilhaber, Edu, Torres, Holden, Clark

Forwards (3)

Davies, Altidore, Ching

We're able to carry an extra mid (either Torres or Clark) since either Dempsey or Donovan can shift up top to play forward. If Cooper has a solid year in Germany, we could drop a mid mentioned above or Bornstein/Castillo since Bocanegra can fill in at LB.

4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Anyone just see the end to the Saudi/Bahrain game? That was an amazing finish, with two goals coming in extra time. Bahrain advances, Saudi misses the World Cup for the first time in almost 2 decades.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Altidore is better imo. Granted, I have not seen Adu play much.

Altidore played well against the highest level of competition in the FIFA tourney. He has the size advantage over Adu and him playing with Davies gives us the most firepower.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Totally agree on Edu vs. Clark. I like Rico, but Edu is a very good player. If healthy and they can get him some games, he's on the team and possibly starting with Bradley.

I don't know enough about Castillo and Jones to form an opinion. I've heard about both, but without either ever having played for the NT, it's hard for me to say. Would either be eligible for these last 2 qualifiers? It would be nice to see them at least in camp.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

WTF? Who are you, USA...? The Dallas Cow-cons? Not only does Castillo SUCK, but he is undisciplined and will cause trouble in your locker room. Ok, so maybe he doesn't suck, he is average to good at best, but won't fix your problems of not keeping the ball in possession in the midfield. He might help with your defending... but I don't know about scoring. Good luck turning a problematic rejected player into one of your own. :D

EDIT - Here is what you would be getting:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0V5_oSIXz9c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0V5_oSIXz9c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Pensó que estaba en Carson = He thought he was in Carson

#67 SwoLy-D, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009