1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] WC 2010 Qualifying Games CONCACAF 9/5 and 9/9

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SwoLy-D, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I'm originally from Italy :cool:

Defending WC champs baby.

2. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Mexico 1- 0 Costa Rica so many yellow cards, a lot of cheap shots!!

3. rawool

rawool Member

Yeah... it was chippy near the end of the second half.

Great goal by Dos Santos!

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mexico thumping them now 3-0....and Hondurus put it to T&T.......

The USA should have won 3-1.....as the refs screwed us on Altidore's 2nd goal....

Hopefully it will not come down to goal differential...but, for that reason they need to pile it on T&T on Wed.

DD

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

[​IMG]

What an embarrassment... :eek: FU Maradona.

(Random CONMEBOL post)

#25 WhoMikeJames, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  6. DaDakota

By Thursday next week, it should be the USA all alone up top with 16 points, with Mexico and Costa Rica right behind with 15, and Hondurus in 4th with 13....

Gonna be a dogfight to the end.

I think 17 points gets you to the WC finals.....

DD

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I DVR'd both games and just now saw how badly El Salvador let the U.S. come back. Props to the Stars and Stripes for keeping composure and finding the net after many near misses in the first half. Like I said before, Davies is the one who fights for the ball and comes up with it, but he needs more help than what he got yesterday. Hopefully that calf doesn't keep him out too much. I wonder how serious that might be. I thought Holden and Torres could have played earlier, but when El Salvador sent more attackers, it may have helped to keep them out. Great game, U.S. You deserved to win outright. Howard saving the last hope for El Salvador put the icing on the cake. :cool:

leroy420, did you see my prediction in the Picture thread? :eek:

About the Mexico game:
    Blanco is the pillar in the midfield and commands authority and experience we didn't have at the beginning of the hexagonal. Alongside him, Efraín Juárez is ONE FAST MOTHER EFFER: beating two defenders and stopping in his tracks to make an accurate pass to Giovanni who beats his own defender for the ball and passed it back to Franco for the second shot was brilliant. Donovan remembers Juárez well.

In the second half, Costa Rica's attacking scheme worked against them when Guardado, just subbed in, outran them to play a great give-and-go with Gio. Just managing better counterattacking moves with Gio and Blanco as a decoy made Costa Rica pay for that mistake.

Even if we would have had Vela and Márquez, I didn't expect such a good outcome. I don't know if Vela could be ready for next week.

WOW. :eek: Three?

Costa Rica has given up SEVEN goals in the last two games. They have also moved from FIRST to FOURTH place from that difference. They can also lose the fourth place if El Salvador can beat them and get at least a tie against Mexico. This is crazy stuff! :D

8. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Impressive display by Mexico in a very chippy game. 3-0 in Costa Rica speaks for itself.

How crazy is this year's hexagonal? Nobody will be able to clinch until MAYBE the second to last day.

If the US, Mexico and Costa Rica all win their next two games, they will all clinch on the second to last day of the round. If not, it will be tough as the US hosts Costa Rica, Mexico travels to T&T while Honduras gets El Salvador on the road.

9. SwoLy-D

^ Thank you, sir.

[​IMG]

Heads up. The U.S.A. match at Trinidad will be at 18:11 central on ESPN Classic and Galavisión. :eek:

With a loss, El Salvador or Trinidad will be out. I believe Los Cuscatlecos can beat Costa Rica just like Mexico did.

10. DaDakota

Am in Chicago need to find place to watch match.

DD

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

12. SwoLy-D

Predictions?

TRI 2 - USA 2 - the U.S. is starting to rest its players, just like in 2005
    ESV 2 - CRC 1 - the Ticos are on their decline, and ESV will restore its need to be in the fight for 4th place
    MEX 2 - HON 0 - the Aztecs' "hell hole" will prove to be a home sweet home once again, even though the Catrachos are saying they will do the 'Aztecazo' this time around.

What are your predictions, gentle guys? :eek:

13. leroy

Why do you think the US is going to rest players tonight? This is 3 road points that they have to get. Onyewu will be back. Davies should be playing as the injury was nothing. I'd look for a starting lineup of the best 11 available. I'm not sure that's what started on Saturday. Bornstein is likely the one dropped. I'd like to see then go with Marshall and Onyewu in the middle, with Bocanegra on the left.

I do think this is a great match to give Holden a start as the holding mid.

My prediciton is 2-0 USA.

I agree with you on the scored of the other 2 games. mexico has their confidence back and should beat Honduras fairly easily.

El Salvador is not anywhere near as bad as their record. They know they have to win to stay alive and Costa Rica has not played well of late. Being in San Salvador, ESV should win this one.

14. digitalbreach

digitalbreach Member

TRI 1 - USA 2
    ESV 2 - CRC 1
    MEX 2 - HON 2

BRAZIL 2 - CHILE 0

vamos Brazil!!!!

15. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Jeez, El Salvador really did themselves a disservice by letting the US run around like crazy in the 2nd halves (hell, last 15 minutes of the first match). They could have easily tied WON the first match, and the 2nd match, would have still likely been a loss, but at least a chance at a tie if they had even played decently.

Luckily, they face the 2 teams directly in front of them the next 2 games. They essentially have to win both to even have a chance, and assuming the other two teams lose their other match before the final match of the entire qualifier, that'd leave MEX at 12, CRC at 12, and ESV at 11. Unlikely, but if that happens, Mexico will likely crush T&T, and hopefully the US can knock off CRC at that point. Even still, that only means that ESV still has to face the #5 team of the CONMEBOL qualifier (Argentina?)

Uphill battle. Have to basically beat Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, and then I believe an aggregate win over Argentina in a Home and Home series. (Is that right?)

All this while either one out of Mexico or Costa Rica losing all 3 of their remaining matches.

16. SwoLy-D

Miguel, I think they can both beat CRC and HON, but I don't know about the other scores. I believe they can still stay with the 4th place. Honduras can tie with Mexico... that's not a far cry... but I don't think ESV can beat Mexico at Azteca. Let's get some help from Mexico maybe and let ESV join in the playoff with maybe Argentina. Argentina would CRUSH ESV.

leroy420... I think this is when Bradley will start experimenting with Torres and Holden, and maybe resting other players. Even though I have been praising Davies' play, his injury will come back to haunt him although I hope it won't.

I don't see Mexico losing any of the next three, the way they're playing now and getting Vela and Marquez back next month. :eek:

17. leroy

Is there not a correlation between losing marquez and the improved play?

I'm not sure that using Holden or Torres is really an experiment. He needs to find a capable holding midfielder to go with M. Bradley...who's better as a more defensive mid, IMO.

18. SwoLy-D

At El Salvador loss / Davies' goal at Azteca = No Márquez. :eek: Also, he wasn't needed in Costa Rica. You know damn well I don't like him, but he's a better defender and... fine... give me VELA only. :cool:

Torres should have been there for El Salvador and against México, but was only used 6 minutes. Holden is being taken away to just sit and watch. That's no good use of raw talent or hustle right there.

19. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

You're wrong.

Howard
    Bornstein
    Onyewu
    Bocanegra
    Spector
    Donovan
    Bradley
    Clark
    Dempsey
    Altidore
    Davies

Can't wait to see Carlos Edwards roast Bornstein tonight...

20. digitalbreach

digitalbreach Member

don't know why all the talk about ESV...they are out of the picture.

they will prove it tonight.