1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Soccer] Copa America

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DrLudicrous, Jun 25, 2007.

1. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

How many teams from Copa America were in the final four of the World Cup?

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

don't be so sure. if you knew anything about soccer you would know that the only reason full squads were sent by brazil and argentina is because the confed's were held in Europe where most of there players are.

Let's say the worldcup/confeds were held in the Americas in 2009, you can bet not all full squads would go. Especially those squads that have most of their players based in Europe. It worked in Germany and may work in South Africa but it has nothing to do with the magnificence of the confeds cup, but only the ease of travel.

Mexico already won a confed's cup in 1999 against Brazil in the final. No one remembers that crap, hell I would trade that for a Copa America title in no time. And btw they played a Brazil B-Squad, but you said all teams send their fulls squads.... :rolleyes: not if they have to fly from Europe to Mexico.

3. ipaman

none but of the final four none were not eligible for Copa America so I'm not sure you can make that argument. They were all eligible for the Confed's 1 Euro's spot.

Again my main point is don't overrate the Confederations Cup. Also don't tear down the Copa America to build up the Confed's Cup, that just ridiculous.

4. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

No, I remember it was a full team in the final in that confed's cup, thats why is was so special.
    Ronaldinho and Cuauhtemoc were the leading scorers in that cup.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Mexican Victory...LOL :D

I just saw the highlight of the free kick goal against Keller. No way that's a goal in previous years. Has he signed a contract for this season? I wasn't sure that Borussia was bringing him back. After this performance, I can't see anyone in Europe taking a chance on him.

6. DrLudicrous

He's out of contract now, he also said he won't play in MLS because it's inferior competition. I think most likely it's just that nobody is willing to pay what he thinks he deserves.

7. DrLudicrous

8. Buck Turgidson

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Anybody have a link to a bracket online?

10. ipaman

ronaldinho had just come on the seen as a young player and was not a huge star he is now. in fact he didn't make is big splash until 3 years later in the '02 world cup. brazil big star was a midfielder named Alex who never even played a world cup for Brazil. That was not brazil A-squad.

Mexico did have a full squad and they did take it serious since they hosted. And they did win 4-3 in the final but Ronaldinho did not even play in the final, he was injured.

11. DrLudicrous

12. leroy

I'd take Brazil's B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I...squad over many national teams any day. There is a reason there is more that 10,000 Brazilians playing professional soccer outside of Brazil.

Say what you want, the Confed. Cup is a big deal no matter where it's played. It's a very big deal for the US team. I guarantee that their A squad will be there in full force.

13. dream34shake

dream34shake Rookie

I know really!! And I still wonder why Bob Bradley was starting him over Tim Howard in the Gold Cup. Tim Howard seems light years faster and overall better than Kasey Keller. But overall the U.S.'s performance has been horrendous and it's not like they haven't had opportunities, it's just that they haven't converted. And Eddie Johnson WOW! Isn't he supposed to be one the U.S.'s top strikers and he's been terrible over the Copa America and the Gold Cup.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Just another point of view here to add to the U.S. and A.'s horrendous show at the Copa America: tomorrow's potential loss with a "B" team will be 3-in-a-row for Bradley and his New Kids On the Block after starting 10-0-1.

It's so UNIMPORTANT. :rolleyes:

15. leroy

EJ has actually been terrible for about the last 2 years...since his run during WC2006 qualifying. I think they're jut holding out hope that he'll get it back. I just don't see it happening. I know the need for a striker is important, but it's time to look at other options.

16. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Brazil with another lackluster performance. Both Colombia and Brazil looked like they could care less about the game.

This tourney has been a dissapointment so far, hopefully there are some better games to come.

Alittle off topic but I did not want to start a new thread but Man-U is about to sign Carlos Tevez!!!! This is in addition to O. Hargreaves and future stars in Andersen and Nani. Sweet!

17. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

If its true, Total Football is back and its home will be Old Trafford.

18. leroy

Nothing, according to Tevez, is imminent...

Tevez Downplays Man United Talk

Carlos Tevez has played down reports suggesting he is close to joining Manchester United.

The West Ham forward, who is currently in Venezuela with Argentina for the Copa America campaign, has been linked to several clubs in England and abroad but is keen to remain in the Premier League.

"As far as I am aware, I have not received any official offers," Tevez told Argentina national newspaper Clarin.

"Once an offer arrives then we will see. But the fact that Real Madrid, Internazionale and Manchester United are interested in me makes me proud."

Tevez was instrumental in keeping the Hammers in the Premier League last season and admit

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Can you see into the future? COLOMBIA plays tonight. ;)

Heads up: U.S. vs. Colombia tonight @ 17:35 Houston time.

ths balla, you never answered my question on page 4... :cool:

#119 SwoLy-D, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  20. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Sorry bout that, I was so damm bored by the game that I forgot who Brazil was playing (it was Ecuador I think). Anyways, they had similar unis to Colombia's.

Man, the ref was doing everything in his power to help the U.S. but they still couldn't take advantage. How do you not take one shot in the last 5 minutes with a field player as keeper :confused: