1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] Copa America

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DrLudicrous, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Buck Turgidson

Not much excitement about the game down in Argieland, pretty much met with a good natured ¨You guys play futbol?¨ I´ll be at the bar talking a mild amount of **** with the peeps tonight regardless.

Did get to see Boca Juniors win the Copa Libertadores my first night here, in BA. Watched the game on TV, result was pretty much a foregone conclusion, and the party afterwards was just about the most insane gathering of humanity I´ve ever seen. We were staying about 3 blocks from el Obelisco, a big phallic looking monument in the middle of BA that´s a gathering point for celebrations. It was freaking nuts, carhorns, firecrackers, singing, chanting, yelling, hugging...about 10 times crazier than either of the Rocket´s championship zaniness. Thought it would be a bad idea to take the camera, so sadly, no pics.

2. ths balla

ths balla Member

sucks that colombia and the us are in the same bracket that games gonna tear the fam apart :p

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

WHY? I know who to choose when the U.S. plays Mexico. Why is it so hard for you? No arguing here, I just want to know what makes it difficult for you. :confused:

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

because he's a real American hero, swoly. ;)

out of curiousity..how many generations has your family been in the US? were you born here?

5. SwoLy-D

Grandparents and parents' brothers and sisters and parents all MEXICAN, only one of my two brothers, too. Starts being 1st generation with all my cousins (in my generation) and their kids all born here in the U.S.

Oddly, my brother (the middle one) is the only one U.S. born from my immediate family. :eek: Don't know what my mom thought when she said: "I'll go back to Mayheeko to have this SwoLy kid... residency and citizenship... nah, who cares?" ;)

My daughters and my brothers' kids are my immediate family's FIRST generation EstadoUnidenses.

I wonder about all of you FOOTBALL/SOCCER enthusiasts, too. I guess I can ask... how about everyone else?

#65 SwoLy-D, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

sure..i'm a 4th generation houstonian on my father's side. we don't know much about them before that.

my mother's side traces to Ireland from both her parents and both came through Philly around the time of the Civil War. through her, i'd be a 3rd generation houstonian.

if they could ever qualify for anything, i'd root for Ireland over every team in the world......except the United States

#66 MadMax, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  7. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Both of my parents are Mexican. I was born in Houston, so I consider myself Mexican-American. I root for Mexico because it's in the blood, but I also root for the U.S. because I've lived here my whole life. Every time the U.S. plays Mexico I stay quiet and just watch the game.

8. Rocket Rowdie

Rocket Rowdie Member

I'm not really familiar with a lot of the teams, but I believe many teams aren't taking their superstars. For example, Brazil will be without Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, and Kaka.

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I'm at least 4th generation (not sure of the exact number) on my dad's side and a few more than that on my mom's.

10. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Looks like the US is going to be fully content to keep everyone back and just hope for goals solely on the counter-attack. Pretty much what I expected going against the team ARG is putting out there. Hopefully a few breaks can go our way and we can keep it close late in the game and pull something out at the end.

Edit: And here is our break with a takedown from behind in the penalty box :D

11. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

gooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA!!!

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Well that was a short lived lead and some terrible defense.

13. SwoLy-D

Riquelme constructed that free-kick set-piece play. Keller had no choice. I like Keller, but he should have taken out someone in baby-blue stripes...I know I would have. :mad:

VAMOS, EE.UU., vamos.

14. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

4 - 1 argentina! Once again this proves my point that I try to make to alot of silly US soccer fans that dont have much knowledge of the game. US has Mexicos number, when the games are played here in the US. Overall, Mexico is a better team, and their games have always been close against the BIG powerhouse teams. Everyone is saying Mexico beat a Brazil team with out their stars, your wrong. Aside from a few big names liek Ronaldinho, Kaka' and a few others most of those players will be on the main squad by the time the World Cup comes around. I think you'll be seeing a different Mexico team in this more VALUEABLE COPA AMERICA tournament.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You might want to read this thread again and tell me where any one of us were harboring any hopes for this tournament. There are 10 uncapped players on the roster. This result is to be expected, especially since Argentina has their full roster. You can't seriously say that the result would have been the same with a rested Donovan, Ching, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Howard, Dempsey, Beasley, etc., etc.

US Soccer made a decision to go all out for the Gold Cup and to use the Copa America to give unbeliveable experience to some of the younger players to see what true international soccer is like.

16. DrLudicrous

Here's what I say to silly Mexico fans that don't know ****, USA keeps beating them because of this exact attitude. You're perfectly happy making excuses as to why USA CONSISTENTLY beats you instead of accepting the fact the we're a lot better than you are willing to admit and playing accordingly. And we'll KEEP beating you until you do. Luckily for us you're heads are too far up your asses to realize this.

17. DrLudicrous

I understand the concept of bringing young players to get them experience, I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand. But at least take players that have a chance of being good enough for the national team. Eddie Gaven has been a **** player on every team he's played on and that's not going to change, there's no reason in hell he should be on the same field as Argentina. Bob Bradley should be beaten for even considering it.

Marvell Wynn isn't that great but he's young and has potential, playing him may have some benefit. Hercules Gomez isn't very good and has no chance of getting any better so leave his ass at home. And if you want to test out new players use a friendly, that's what they're for, you don't use a highly competitive tournament.

18. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

I wish we would have brought a more experienced team to the Copa, but the Gold Cup was on our soil, we so took the best we could for that tournament. It would't be fair to the MLS to take the US stars in tournaments back to back but I'm excited to see the younger guys play and get experience. We played well in the first half and got schooled in the 2nd half. We can still advance and have a good showing.

19. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

The second half was disastrous, particularly after Olsen was removed, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that that Argentina team is loaded. They're in it to win it.

I think we can advance. Hopefully Twellman and Wynne don't start against Paraguay on Monday, and the subs are better considered.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

To me, this is reason #1 that the MLS needs to go to a standard calendar. I understand it makes life incredibly difficult for the teams still playing in football stadiums. But the yneed to have these guys available in the summer to play in these tournaments to get better at this level.