1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Soccer] Copa America

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DrLudicrous, Jun 25, 2007.

1. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I've got no problem with rooting for Mexico early on for the simple reason that I'd like the CONCACAF teams to do well. I'm not expecting much out of the US "B" team so I don't think a matchup in the finals is a possibility.

2. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Yes! Anderson is coming in for Brazil. He just made a big money move to Man United at 19 and is currently being billed as the next Ronaldinho/Kaka. I can't wait to see him.

3. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

No, I heard that his mother is from greece, and his father from uruguay, but he was born in San Luis Potosi, Mexico
    At first he rejected the mexico invitation, but right now he says he is happy with playing for Mexico.

I like his style, he plays great. and what a nice goal he scored.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think a more fair statement would be that the only show up for CONCACAF games. Even still, it should irk you more that Mexico doesn't.

On the nationality thing, I've always been curious about Jared Borgetti's name. Doesn't really seem to be of hispanic nature. I know he's definitely Mexican. I was just curious.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No, just not against the U.S.A. :(
    Heck, I thought Berhalter's name sounded EstadoUnidense. If you're going for names, Adu and Onyewu Oguchi should play for Zimbabwe and Zaguinho for Brazil.

GUILLERMO OCHOA should start all the games instead of Sanchez. Who was it that hated Oswaldo? :D

RocketManJosh... how is Mexico beating Brazil with its "B" team? :( Pardo, Salcido, Osorio, Borgetti are all out.

Man, I am pumped. :mad:

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Ochoa has made some really nice saves to keep the clean sheet so far.

7. SwoLy-D

I <3 Guillermo Ochoa. :( Sorry there's so much MAN LOVE here, dudes, but... damn, he's a flier:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xLTA1LxlA-Q"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xLTA1LxlA-Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    -0:32 marker... absolutely beautiful stop.

See... Nery Castillo doesn't know how to give up the ball in time when he's got a breakaway. I am hoping that he watches this game and learns to give.. the... f*ck*ng... ball... UP. PASS IT, BROTHER. EDIT: but pass it earlier!

Brasil today is like Mexico last Sunday: so close, yet so far.

8. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I hope the people who thought Ching's miss in the final was unforgivable saw Castillo's airball tonight.

9. SwoLy-D

Castillo's was worse. :eek:

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Borgetti's grandfather was Italian.

That was a pretty good game, Brazil didn't play well in the first half and started to do better in the second but it was too late. And Anderson did play pretty well for them, probably the best player for them tonight along with Robinho.

I think Ochoa is better than Sanchez and should have been playing for Mexico in the Gold Cup. It's time to start looking towards 2010, and Ochoa will easily be the #1 keeper by then. Plus he hasn't tried taking any cheap shots on people yet so I don't hate him. I'm sure given enough time I will though.

11. leroy

It wasn't a shot. It was a serious question. I'm curious about where his name came from. BTW...Adu is from Ghana. His mother won a visa lottery and moved to the States when he was younger.

That was me that thinks Sanchez is terrible.

Brazil had a terrible game from what I saw. Where was that touch that makes them who they are? I've never seen a Brazil team just give the ball away so much. Congrats to Mexico on the big win.

What's Borgetti's prognosis? I thought he blew out his knee or ankle when I saw the injury, but it looked like he was holding his hamstring. Either way, it couldn't have been good.

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Man I say that I am rooting for Mexico and you STILL have to come back at me ... whats the deal man ;) ... to be honest Mexico playing with its "B" team has a much better shot at beating Brazil's "B" team than the US has in beating Argentina's "A" team tomorrow. Do you not agree with that? Argentina's team is absolutely loaded.

13. leroy

Thanks...I figured it was something like that.

14. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Castillo has perhaps the best dribbling skill of all of the mexican players. As far as having heart for mexico? did you see the way he reacted on his first goal for this team? He took his shirt off and ran like crazy (getting a yellow card along the way), but this guy has a lot more heart than Borgetti, who is considered one of the best scorers of this generation in mexico.

As far as ochoa you could fill a 2 minute highlight reel with all the saves he had today, he was getting bombarded and he seems to have better composure than Sanchez, i would love to see him play out the rest of the tourney

15. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Brazil played terribly in the first half, had so many chances in the 2nd but got unlucky hitting the woodwork a bunch of time and the keeper making some crazy saves. All in all that was such a young Brazil team. I guess Argentina is going to run this tourney easily.

16. SwoLy-D

Sorry... it came across that way but I really meant "I wonder how we're beating Brasil's B Team?" in a non-sarcastic way. I understand Roberto Carlos and Ronaldinho would totally stop and kill Mexico. I agree with what you're saying... still, you can't make excuses... I am hoping this is the team that plays for MEXICO for the next four years. Guardado is out, Pardo is out, but I don't want to see Borgetti or Oswaldo Sanchez in there again.

I've been saying GUILLERMO OCHOA should have started since the beginning, but nobody listens to me! :( What also helped was that Brasil was not shooting at its best accuracy, putting shots were GO could stop them (although lesser keepers wouldn't have).

Thank you, everyone. Vamos, Estados Unidos.

EDIT: One thing before I forget... doesn't NERY CASTILLO have somewhat of a resemblance to CLAUDIO REYNA? They look alike to me.

17. SwoLy-D

Click PLAY... the "RESUMEN" (highlights) one is boring... so I added both goles with live calls:
    <embed align="middle" allowFullScreen="false" allowScriptAccess="always" id="playerE" name="playerE" src="http://www.univision.com/contentroot/uol/art/systemimages/channel/global/images/player.swf" quality="high" width="402" height="378" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" FlashVars="autoStart=false&amp;copyright=Univision+and+SwoLy-D+%3B%29&amp;date=06/27/2007&amp;insertAds=true&amp;streamSpeed=400&amp;title=Nery+anoto+primer+gol+ante+Brasil&amp;videoURL=/media/21233/2007/06/070627_PA_brasil_mexico_primer_gol_400.flv" /> <embed align="middle" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" id="playerF" name="playerF" src="http://www.univision.com/contentroot/uol/art/systemimages/channel/global/images/player.swf" quality="high" width="402" height="378" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" FlashVars="autoStart=false&amp;copyright=Univision+and+SwoLy-D+%3B%29&amp;date=06/27/2007&amp;insertAds=true&amp;streamSpeed=400&amp;title=Un+golazo+de+Ramon+Morales&amp;videoURL=/media/21233/2007/06/070627_PA_brasil_mexico_segundo_gol_400.flv" />

Enjoy! :cool:

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A little help please, I am on Time Warner here in Austin and I can't find the games listed in the guide, anyone have a channel number and listing?

Thanks,

DD

19. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I don't think Time Warner offers GolTV. You can see the US vs Argentina game on TeleFutura, it looks like ch. 17 is the local over the air TeleFutura channel, I'm not sure about the cable situation of it though.

20. SwoLy-D

DaDakota (formerly known as DaDarkone), Univision has it live at the link bove. :cool: