1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] Copa America

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DrLudicrous, Jun 25, 2007.

1. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow, it must be hell to keep getting beat by a group that doesn't even give a damn.

3. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Here's a pretty good write up by Bernardo Fallas in the the chron's soccer blog about the team that the US is taking.

http://blogs.chron.com/soccer/archives/2007/06/taking_a_b_team.html

4. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Yeah right, more than half of a 60,000 plus crowd yelling for Mexico in Chicago means very little or next to nothing for the Tri's. It must be a big letdown to see all those people cheering them on. :rolleyes:

The USF has been doing it's best to find a place in the US for the team to play where they have the edge in US fans. I can only think of two places that have had a higher ratio of US to Mexico fans. Columbus and Boston.

I wonder why the Mexican federation keeps on agreeing to play in the US anyways? Could it be because they have the fan advantage almost everywhere they play in the US (to the USF's dismay) and want so badly to beat them on their home field with thousands of Tri fans in attendance? Or maybe they don't want to lose at home in Mexico? That would be a disaster. Hell, a draw would be seen as a loss. Mexico has lost at the Azteca.......once, but it doesn't mean it can't happen again.Things that make you go hmm indeed.

5. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

The starting lineup for the Argentina game will be:

--------------Keller-----------------
    Wynne--Conrad--DeMerit---Bornstein
    Olsen---Clark----Feilhaber-----Mapp
    ---------Twellman--Johnson--------

Tell me where I'm wrong.

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Yeah and It will probably end up being penalties like the last Copa and Brazil will walk away winning 4-2 somehow... Bastards

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

No problem.

If Brazil and Argentina both win their group, which they should, they'll play each other in a semifinal. If you look at the groups and bracket it's pretty much set up so that Venezuela has a chance to make the final.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No disagreement there, plcmnts. You don't get my point... I'm trying to say [the Mexico team and the MSF]'re stupid by saying: "OK!" :rolleyes:

Zac D, you're not wrong, except that they won't score with Johnson up there. That boy in International games that matter is like the U.S. fans at a Mexico-U.S. game: he doesn't show up. He can score on Trinidad... but let's see him do better on a bigger stage...?

9. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Yeah, I would prefer to see them give Davies a chance. I actually also have sizable love for Herculez Gomez and those two would be a fun pairing for me to see, but I think I'd get more backup on Davies than on Gomez.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Just curious, why aren't all the good American players playing?

11. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Rest and a few are going back to their MLS jobs.

12. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Ecuador-Chile is a fun match so far. 2-1 Ecuador after 25 minutes. It's on GolTV.

13. SwoLy-D

MEXICO vs. Brasil in about 15 minutes...

VAMOS, MEXICO!!!! In about 8 minutes... :)

C'mon, y'all... I need you to pull for MEXICO if you want to see us in a final against the USA... you know you want to see it happen. Can we cheer for MEXICO? I will cheer for your USA on Friday.

FREEBIE from UNIVISION:
    [​IMG]
    WATCH THE GAME LIVE!

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

15. RocketFan007

Mexico has already gotten lucky, Brazil had a clear goal disallowed.

16. SwoLy-D

GOLAZO!!!!!
    :eek:
    RAMON MORALES!!!!! 29'

17. RocketFan007

Swoly, what's the story with Nery Castillo? I keep hearing that he's Uruguayan, but was born in Mexico. He also came close to playing national football with Greece. How do you feel about him?

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That figures. We play on Thursday.

19. SwoLy-D

WOW. :eek: What a beautiful catch-and-volley play. I like this dude.

I didn't really think Nery had much game until I saw the game against Paraguay just a few weeks ago. I hadn't even seen him playing in Greece. Apparently Hugo Sanchez is the first coach showing interest in him. So many people saying he wasn't even TRULY MEXICAN, since he only spent a little time there, but he was born there from both Uruguayan parents. I don't think his heart is completely Mexican either... but, I am sticking with the rule that if you are born in a country, you should play for it. He's wearing the GREEN jersey now, and he seems to wear it well. I hate players who are born somewhere else and get "nationalized." Eff that. I never approved of Naelson Zinha or Gabriel Caballero playing for my team.

Well, I saw him play. He had some damn accurate passes, but his best work is twisting his waist and leaving defenders on the ground. I think the entire play in the score against your team could be given to him, as he twisted Gooch into a pretzel down the baseline and passed to Guardado. I am liking the fact that he's got the skill and makes good use of it, but his late-decision passing is not something I like. Sometimes he gets stuck in dribbling past defenders and doesn't give it up, but I think you just saw there what he can do against tough defenders like the Brazilians. WOW.

leroy420, sorry, man... :rolleyes: Freudian slip. I will cheer the U.S. on THURSDAY... and I also hate Argentina. Knowing the U.S., though, I fear they will lose badly to other teams... it irks me that they seem to show up only against MEXICO.

#39 SwoLy-D, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  20. RocketFan007

I just asked because I knew you didn't like nationalized citizens playing for your team. I figured you would have a problem with him since basically the only thing Mexican about him is the fact he was born there. He grew up in Uruguay and moved to Greece at 16.