1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] Adu to Benfica

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RocketFan007, Jul 30, 2007.

1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

http://yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=news&id=3262

This is a great move for him. I think it's definitely in his best interest to move abroad and Benfica should be a great starting point for him. He'll be able to play in a high level league, as well as in the Champion's League. A bit surprised MLS could only get $2 million for him though.

Adu is the second member of the U-20 team to move abroad. Last week Sal Zizzo completed a move to Hannover 96 in the Bundesliga.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is GREAT news for our future national team.

DD

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Interesting, i wouldn't have mind if he went to the dutch league, but i think Benfica can be a good team for his development.

4. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Hopefully he can develop and actually get playing time. If anything he will improve just by practicing with people of that caliber.

I didn't watch much MLS until the Dynamo got here but Adu seems to be a bust after all that hype that was thrown out.

5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I think he made a good choice, assuming he can get playing time. It's time for him to step up his game. And I think it's a bit harsh to label him as a bust now, overhyped yes, but not a bust. And he just turned 18, there really aren't that many players that are world class at that age.

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Did you watch the U-20 World Cup? He was one of the best players there, and he was two years younger than most of the kids playing.

7. conquistador#11

Adu, is not even Donovan in the U.S, how is he going to be donovan in Lisbon? In either way, I wish him the best of luck. I just thougth he would have been tearing up the MLS by now.

8. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

No doubt he has skills but US soccer and the media promoted him like he was the league's savior a few years back and he didn't really deliver. He's still very young and can still grow, let's just hope he turns into an international star. That is what US soccer needs the most, an American who is one of the best players in the world, not a foreign star coming to America (although Becks will help grow the sport, Americans will only support something they are the best at).

9. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I think most of the hype that went with that had to do with the fact that he was ONLY 16/17 years old.

I hope it will make him better, not necessarily the best. All Americans want a winner, but believe me, most will support their national team no matter what.

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

He was around 14 when all the hype started. It's pretty stupid to anoint a 14 year old as the next Pele. And not surprising that he couldn't live up to that.

He's still a good player though, and has time to improve.