1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So will Josh Smith address the REAL reason he left?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aussie rocket, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Asian Sensation

Who cares? He's back and he's ours again.

2. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Asian Sensation

A terrific teammate that Terry is.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wasn't this the real reason? Morey resigned Brew and Bev first, then spent the rest of the cap on KJ Mcdaniels and the rookies, leaving him for last. Then they had a conversation and Morey said we're not sure we can give you a big role this year because we have Capela, Dmo, Tjones and Harrell already at the PF spot and we have Lawson coming in as a playmaker and with DMo and Tjones being in contract years they would want a lot of PT so maybe you won't get as many minutes.

Its understandable JSmoove would leave but I didn't think he would be dumb enough to sign for half the amount the Rox gave him and go to an even more stacked roster with Pierce and Stephenson who can also play SF/stretch 4.

Anyway now he's back and I see him becoming an integral part of the team. With the cap increase next year he might even be in for the long haul and we'd have our own big 3 for the forseeable future. Honestly doesn't seem that bad.

5. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

6. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Have you ever been to the coast of southern California?

1 person likes this.
  7. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

Texas all day doe.

8. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

9. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

Here is what I like about what just happened yesterday, you have a man who sat on the bench contemplating on how bad he messed up. Going from the feeling of being on top of the world, making it to the Western Conference Finals, to possibly sitting the bench for the rest of his career. So when given a second chance, how hungry do you think Josh Smith is?

When you bring intangibles to the game, it makes for a very interesting and unpredictable outcome. Last year I felt those guys were, Josh Smith and Pablo Prigioni.

Oh man, the hustle Prigioni brought to the table, was beautiful. One can only dream, right?

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Who cares? He's back and it paid immediate dividends.

11. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

It is called a forum, dumbass!

Ha, you sound like a "Leroy"!

12. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

and he ended up catching 41 balls anyways...wild ain't it

13. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

For how long? If he clues into the fact he's the savior of this team, he'll want to get paid. Say goodbye to Dmo?

14. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

in a jacked up dysfunctional way the entire team got humbled including Smith this year which might turn out to be the best thing that could've happened ...things could get interesting.

15. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

When ESPN is sucking you off for being the reason for a historical comeback in the playoffs and Morey is not offering him a defined or sure role then I don't blame him for trying to leave for a contender he could have a bigger role on. Should of kept him over Brewer.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love Josh Smith. I love this move. This shouldn't be read as an insult. When I think of Josh Smith I think of D, and rebounding. I think of high flying dunks and swatted shots.

But more than anything else I think of a guy with a very solid offensive skill set which is significantly reduced by a pattern of dubious, inexplicable decisions with the ball in his hands. It is only fitting, then, that a guy defined by his incomprehensible decisions on the court, is equally defined by an incomprehensible decision off the court.

Trying to figure out why he left is like trying to figure out why he takes crazy, fade away jumpers from just inside the three point line. Its just Josh being Josh. With some things in this world, it is just better just to accept them as they are, rather than trying to find meaning in the inexplicable.

Josh is a force of nature. Asking why he does anything is about as fruitful as asking why a tornado chose to demolish one house and leave the one next door untouched.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He said he made a mistake. That's probably all you will get from him on that subject.

18. rocketsmetalspd

True. It was business decision and now on to playing.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He didn't sacrifice any money. The difference was marginal for someone who's earned as much as he has in his career. If 'competing' with Jones, an injured DMo, Capela, etc. was a concern, it was only because the Rockets told him it would be a concern. There is no way someone like Smith would or should have been worried about losing playing time to those guys. I'm sure his pride was hurt by that as well as the Rockets' prioritizing of a scrub in KJM and 2nd round rookie in Montrezzle over him.

The Rockets may have offered him 'more' than LAC, but they didn't offer all they could have and they certainly didn't make him a priority. In my opinion, he simply wanted the Rockets to act like they wanted him after saving their season and almost single-handedly getting them into the WCF. They didn't do that so he left. I think he very much wanted to be in Houston but the feeling wasn't mutual. Don't blame him one bit.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the team didn't like how he was treated and that sapped their inspiration this season. Think about it - you have all these injuries in the frontcourt, and this guy lands in your lap in December that allows you to keep winning at a high level, then is instrumental in propelling you to playoff success you haven't seen in a long time. You get this guy for free basically. The team loves him. Then when it's time to show the slightest bit of appreciation, you place more importance on signing scrubs with your MLE. You make him wait around all summer while everyone else gets taken care of, including a rookie 2nd-rounder. Sorry, there's no way I blame Josh Smith for that. If he really wanted to leave he would have done it sooner.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

iirc, one of the rumors at the time was he wanted the money kj was offered. he felt disrespected by morey when kj was prioritized.