1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So why did we sign Josh Smith again...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Dec 28, 2014.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I caught most of the game tonight. After seeing the highlights of his debut and reading the glowing compliments penned about him... he did none of that tonight! Let's hope he gets it back on track.

Ball handling was terrible and you should have heard Sean Elliott ragging on our guys about their lack of transitional defense. Sad thing is that it was true.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

At least he's here on only a one year deal.

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Respect for sticking to your guns! But now you're reading Harden's body language?

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm still in "wait and see" mode regarding how much Josh Smith will help us. I'm cautiously optimistic.

But one thing is clear: he is an atrocious jump shooter and him taking a lot of those shots will not help us win. We need to figure out how to accentuate his strengths on offense and minimize his weaknesses. It may require him taking a smaller scoring/facilitating role than he wants.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

:p:grin:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I agree on outside jump shots, definitely a lot better close under the basket or in transition...

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Fixed.

If you're going to call someone an idiot...

Anyhoo... my opinion is that coach McHale needs to coach these guys up if they want to get back to winning. This looks sloppy. The energy is great, the bottom line is not.

#67 don grahamleone, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but some of you sound completely idiotic. Where were you after the Memphis game -- you know, THE GAME WE DON'T WIN IF NOT FOR JOSH SMITH? And if we're cutting bait with guys who played like ass tonight, I hope you have room for Bev, Harden, Ariza, Jet and Dorsey's luggage, too.

Jesus.

ETA: And this comes from someone who wasn't in favor of the signing. God forbid you wait until the dude has a couple of practices under his belt before making final conclusions, though.

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

The problem with Josh Smith is people have been saying this about him for years. They said it about him even during his best years in Atlanta, when he was so close to being an All-Star but he just had to cut out those silly mistakes and stupid plays.

They said it when he was a free agent, and maybe a change in scenery and a new coaching staff would help him finally play to his strengths. He went to Detroit, which was maybe one of the worst possible destinations for him.

People around the league said it when he unexpectedly became a free agent- including a lot of Rockets fans I know.

I completely understand the signing. I will probably never again see an opportunity to sign a player as talented as he is for as little as we had to. We could play him at a position of need. We would have one of his best friends on our team and a coach who was one of the greatest players ever at Smith's position to hopefully keep him in line.

The way I see it, the Rockets were a very good team before we signed him, but we were not good enough to win the championship. Not yet. It was an opportunity that will never happen again and it was a risk we had to take. Luckily, if it doesn't work out, it will only be for a one year deal and we could cut bait and look for something else in the offseason.

But I am still hoping that they can figure it out. I am cautiously, almost reluctantly, optimistic.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Josh played 26 minutes.... one can't even start with the criticism because he did not play 32+ regular minutes

Again 2nd game, he did not shoot a lot which is commendable

Refs were giving us too many unnecessary fouls

They just rewarded the Spurs for every flop, this goes beyond homecooking

We have to address the commissioner

Josh 5 fouls Ariza 4 fouls Harden 5 fouls (offense fouls) Moti 3 fouls Dwight 3 fouls

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

This is the exact same position I have. Very well worded post.

12. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

13. Rokman

Rokman Member

They injected a new player into the starting 5 against the well oiled machine of the Spurs on their home court. It wasn't a recipe for a win frankly. That does not justify how badly they played overall with those turnovers but this doesn't surprise me. Everyone take a deep breath, hold it for 2 seconds, release, and talk about something else.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bwhahaha here we go with these knee-jerk reactions after a loss.

15. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I swear this forum is hilarious, one loss to a good team who's thirsty for a win and knee jerk threads everywhere from Fire mchale to why did we pick up josh smith. Last game a thread popped up about Howard lol. This team needs time to gel again they haven't had a practice together yet. I'll wait and judge come playoff time. Again, at 2 ml it is worth the gamble.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He certainly looks lost out there on offense since he isn't allowed to take his stupid long range jumpers and 3s. It's gonna take awhile for Smith to figure out his role and his game. The thing that worries me about Smith is he doesn't seem to do the little things right.

He sets very poor screens on the perimeter and his team defense is not stellar.

I think we are going to need to give him 20 games before we can truly judge anything.

17. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Didn't read the thread. But signing Smith at $2mil and cutting black was 1000000000% the correct move. Hopefully the coaching staff can use his talents to produce a net positive. Unfortunately he has had problems playing an intelligent brand of basketball in the past so this is not a guarantee. Regardless you make that move and try to make him fit. I think he'll likely always take a few shots per game that we'll question but his length and skill set can be disruptive cleaning up around the basket off of harden and Howard Shots.

Also if Mcfail wakes up he could make DMo the focus of the second unit offense. I think overall this move is a good fit.

18. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I submit that the OP's thread starting privileges are revoked and given to me. End of the bench dude.

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

josh smith perfect fit!

**** JOSH SMITH!

omg im in love with joshs mith

NOOOO WHY DID WE SIGN THIS GUY?

holy **** josh smith fan for life

I HATE YOU JOSH SMITH, I **** HATE YOU!