1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So who exactly is the Rockets PG next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by samtaylor, Jul 1, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Rondo has the lakers and kings fighting over him. If he doesnt go to the kings looks like beverly may get a good contract. With what happened so far i expect rondo to prefer lakers. Sacramento is so toxic that it has managed to turn the free agents priorities. They rather turn down more money than go play there. But stuckey barea and mo williams are still available and so is lawson.

2. MistaK

MistaK Member

Championship caliber: YES, cause he is a one time champ

Plays good defense: I'd say average defense at best

Get everyone into the offense: sure, but he needs to have the ball in his hands a lot to be effective/slows down the game and then you are effectively playing 4 v 5

High BB IQ: Ya sure??! :grin:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WT-SBao5ilk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jic embedding doesnt work again

Can be had for cheap: I very much doubt it - guy still thinks he deserves the max. He might not get a max, but I'm certain that he will get 9+ per from someone

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Again.... someone who gets alot of steals doesn't equate to a "great defender".

He's good in alot of ways on defense, but great.... that's pushing it. He's ok, but keep in mind, 3 of Pat Beverley's best offensive games as a Rocket came against the T-Wolves with Rubio guarding, or not guarding him, at all. He gambles, and plays the passing lanes. Alot like Harden does as sort of the free safety in the defense. Not a great fit IMO playing next to Harden. They are going to lose shooters all the time.

"Only Flaw".... you can't be serious right?

Rubio is a HISTORICALLY bad finisher around the rim. That's huge in the Rockets offense for a PG. Actually its his 3 point shot in some areas that is sort of underrated, but far from being effective.

Rubio isn't a bad player, and frankly at this point, he's looking better than the alternative, but alot of people here are severely mis-informed on Ricky Rubio and what he's good, or not so good at.

Also if the Rockets traded for him, and didn't move Ariza by next Summer, even with the cap increase they will have a tough time getting true max cap space to pursue Durant or whomever under the projected cap figures. Just keep that in mind.

4. basketballholic

This reminds me, Lebron committed 2 8-second violations in the playoffs that were not called. Very clear violations.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Sign Rondo and be done already!

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Rondo is horrible and a horrible fit and a locker room cancer.

Anybody advocating to sign this dudes hasn't watched the NBA in three years.

7. mikelowery

mikelowery Member

I could be wrong with this statement. If you put rondo in a winning situation and get harden to agree to let rando create for him I personally think you would see a difference in his attitude. Problem with rondo in Dallas was they would not allow him to use his play making skills to create shots for everyone.

8. malakas

malakas Member

We cant sign rondo. Cant pay him enough. The lakers and kings are all over that.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Did you also not watch Rondo play in Dallas? He had the ball plenty. His downfall was Carlisle running set plays, and the plays usually started with Rondo. Only problem is the ball in that offense typically would find its way back to Rondo who was so incredibly passive and simply not even guarded, that Carlisle had to take him out.

With the Rockets I don't see how its going to be any different. The ball will find him in the Rockets offense, and if he's creating, he still needs to keep the defense honest enough to create lanes, and space for others, or he needs to be a threat offensively when Harden is creating, or a post player is going down low.

He's just an odd fit for the modern NBA, with free flowing offenses like the Rockets have, and movement offenses like the Mavs had. I don't know what its going to take to get Rondo back in a situation where he can thrive but its going to take a hell of alot more than just a stable locker room.

10. mikelowery

mikelowery Member

I will agree he can be a odd fit on the other hand when he was in Dallas they had no one with the ability of harden on that team. I can see him making harden and Howard's job much easier, I can also seeing it blow up in our face to.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Rondo's not good at basketball anymore.

12. Aruba77

Xthe lakers just drafted a pg with the #2 pick and the Kings might be the worst team and organization in the NBA. I disagree.

13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rajon Rondo meeting with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Kings?src=hash">#Kings</a> this morning. He is only seeking a one-year deal at less than the max, source tells <a href="http://t.co/Cc9XrQgxwu">http://t.co/Cc9XrQgxwu</a></p>&mdash; Chris Sheridan (@sheridanhoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/status/616983676627341312">July 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Look at that. Even Rondo knows Rondo is a headcase.

14. malakas

malakas Member

Vet min with the rockets < near max with the kings.

And the lakers are already looking at rondo. Its been reported.

15. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

People calling for Rondo need to sleep it off. I'd almost rather have Jeremy Lin.

Typing that made me taste bile.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Jesus another thread about Rondo and Rubio? It isn't happening, folks.

17. Aruba77

The Lakers can "look" all they want. They haven't had much luck this offseason.

18. Dopamine

Dopamine Member

This guy almost single-handedly sank an elite Mavs offense to bottom of the barrel, it baffles me that some people actually think this guy is a starting caliber PG anymore. He is quite possibly worse offensively than Ricky Rubio... and that's saying something.

19. basketballholic

I really like this guy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/33b4iG9n9Oc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Young, solid & knows how to function in a role for a winner. Not a bad get in my opinion.