1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So who exactly is the Rockets PG next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by samtaylor, Jul 1, 2015.

1. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

Patty Mills would be a perfect fit because of can play off the ball as a serious 3-point shooting threat. I've always liked Collison as someone that can penetrate the lanes and break down a defense. Not a bad shooter, either. Lull is obviously the top priority for Morey but not sure if he is willing to leave his homeland. As a back-up PG I'd take JJ Barea, a guy that can get hit the 3, distribute the ball, and likes to harass people as a defender. Guy also has a non-stop motor that drives certain opponents crazy.

Players I would absolutely stay away from are Rubio. Jennings, and Williams. Rubio just flat out hasn't lived up to expectations and all 3 would come with a price tag that the Rockets just can't afford to pay. I suppose Williams would be a decent signing if he came in as a back-up and took a minimum contract to play for a championship contender but he's to injury prone to make it through the whole season as a starter.

2. basketballholic

PG Trade Targets:

1. Ricky Rubio - yes there was some more trade talk on draft night about Tyus Jones. But Minnesota would still like to move Rubio. They'd take Bledsoe in a heartbeat. So, a 3-way with PHX and Minnesota is still a possibility here, especially if PHX needs cap space for another free agent signing. And yes, Rockets are still interested.

2. Dennis Schroder - If Millsap goes to Orlando or even if he stays, Schroder could be the trade fodder that ATL needs to put on the table to get a big and a wing back. We've got bigs and wings. You could put together several possibilities here that would help ATL.

3. C.J. McCollum - underrated offensive point guard because he actually is showing decent defensively guarding mostly shooting guards. Has low turnovers nad shoots great. Portland, going into a rebuild might consider moving him.

4. Tyler Ennis - young point guard coming off tough rookie campaign after being traded midseason. He's got a lot of defensive potential as well as being a plus shooter from distance. He could come cheap. Is somewhat risky at this stage of his career. But...if he shows anything at all he could be a steal and a great backcourt mate to harden.

5. Cory Joseph - young, restricted free agent point guard. Has shown to be a plus defensively and although he doesn't shoot the 3 much, he's improving on his 3-ball. I'm listing him as a trade candidate since the Spurs have restricted him but they'll likely have to renounce him if they get LaMarcus committed. I'd offer them a future second for a sign-and-trade of Joseph so we could keep our MLE for someone else.

6. CJ Watson - another good shooting point guard with low turnovers and decent defense. He's a FA but Pacers have early bird rights on him. I'd give them a future second to generate a sign-and-trade to keep our full MLE for use later.

7. Patty Mills - would possibly trade for Mills using non-guaranteeds only. He can shoot it and he is very fast end-to-end.

8. Brandon Jennings - expiring $8 million contract. Serviceable if nothing else materializes. Can light up the scoreboard when he gets hot. I'd give up Kostas/Pablo to bring him in if all else fails.

9. Randy Foye - serving no useful purpose in Denver. They'd trade him for probably a second rounder.

10. Eric Gordon - monster $15 million expiring contract. But a great shooter/floor spreader. And he's not interested in staying in New Orleans. We may be able to get him for non-guaranteeds, Jones, and Dorsey and perhaps a future second rounder.

11. Mario Chalmers - in a salary dump with Miami

12. Ray McCallum - a young rookie PG with size. He's been working out with Westbrook this summer. And he's another low turnover, high steals/offensive rebounds possession creator with good passing skills and an improving jump shot. I can see Morey making a play for him.

==============================================

FREE AGENT POSSIBILITIES

1. Sergio Llull - obviously

2. Seth Curry - you want a big time shooter on a minimum salary that is a better player than Jason Terery? Here you go.

3. Sergio Rodriguez - rumored to want back in the NBA. Offensive dynamo. Would be relatively cheap to obtain.

4. Malcolm Delaney - another Euro point guard that fits our style. We've looked into him before.

5. Pierre Jackson - if he runs into numbers problem in Philly. He can put the ball in the hole.

6. Aaron Craft - a better defender than Beverley and a better distributor and ball handler than Beverley. Poor but improving shooter. I'd much rather have him at the minimum than to have Bev on the books for $4-6 million per season for 4 years.

7. Cory Joseph/CJ Watson - see above. could be signed outright with MLE.

8. Nick Calathes - arguably the best defensive point guard in the NBA right now. Not a good shooter though. So he'd have to work on that. He's a free agent and could be signed outright or signed and traded.

9. and of course Rondo.

#22 basketballholic, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

Oh, JJ Barea is only looking for 3 mil a year so he can sign w/o affecting other potential FA signings. Would you rather have him coming off the bench or Prigs?

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Harden PG for the win....

[​IMG]

5. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

this is the line up that I want to see. keep last year's roster and add Llull and Lawson

6. CertifiedTroll

Bbhollic is that a 95% chance of Calathes being best defensive PG? :p

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Uh, haven't you been paying attention? Morey doesn't need Point Guards. We are running with H & H and 3 Power Forwards. We drafted 2 forwards and so far it's been reported that we are looking at Derrick Williams and Kendrick Perkins.

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Nice layout of possible PG's that are available BUT Morey is going with an all Power Forward lineup.

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

The Beard IS our PG. He initiates the offense. He really is pretty unselfish when it comes down to it; he makes good, even great, passes. Put Dekker/Ariza at the 2/3 and roll with it. Still need a backup. Hoping for Llull. Sergio Rodriguez might make an interesting pair of new Gs in Houston...

10. varughese.arun

haa... well said.

11. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

Too bad he is not joining :rolleyes:

12. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

This question just got a tiny bit more pressing.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

WHY CANT WE HAVE NICE THINGS

14. eman

eman Contributing Member

Thirteen TOs tho

15. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Now that LULLZ os off the board . . . .

Rocket River

17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

You forgot
    Lin
    . Don't ban me.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Beverley probably.

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Lord I hope not...

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Bledsoe and Lawson has to be someone we'd be after imo. And if Beverley doesn't resign Mo Williams.