1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what grade do you give Morey on the 2012 draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Jun 29, 2012.

?

What grade do you give Morey on the 2012 draft?

1. A

12.6%
  2. B

35.4%
  3. C

24.0%
  4. D

15.2%
  5. F

12.8%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Um this is honestly one of the dumbest posts I've read in a long time, and really shows that the people say DM's been doing a poor job just because they don't like the guy, not because they have any factual evidence to stand on. I understand following sports tend to involve a lot of emotion, but the fact is you shouldn't let that cloud your judgement. For example what does Thabeet and Flynn have to do with DM's scouting ability? Flynn was a throw-in to the DMo trade, and Thabeet was acquired for half a season of Battier. DM was already on record saying he's on board getting a guy with 90% bust rate as long as the potential was there, why are you now saying he sucks for getting a bust when the odds were astronomically high they were gonna bust? That's like blaming someone for not winning a lottery after he just bought 1 ticket.

IMHO one of the fairest assessments on the draft came from DD, he based it on two things: the players and the situation. I'm gonna do it the same way too, except instead of situation within the team I'm gonna talk about players they could have had.

I. Players drafted: B
    -I'm not fond of any of the players drafted, except for White (who I kinda' like for the position). Lamb might be good, but honestly what are the chances he's gonna be better than Lee, you know? With the amount of SGs in the draft and the wing players currently playing in the league retaining Lee will only cost 5-9M a year, not exactly a bank breaker for a two-way SG. Jones is nice but inconsistent, if we were gonna get an inconsistent player I'd rather bet on Perry Jones III. White COULD be a top 5 talent like what DM is saying, but you could have gotten him at 18 IMHO, and even if you missed out, I think getting a solid center in Zeller is worth it.

II. Situation: D
    -I'm talking about the players we COULD have had, specifically John Henson and Tyler Zeller. If you ask people prior to the draft if you'd rather have Henson, Zeller and White/Jones or Jeremy Lamb, White and Jones, I think 99% of the people would choose the prior haul. This feels a lot like the Nicolas Batum fiasco all over again IMHO, DM and his team tried to be too fancy and traded down from Batum to (what they thought) a similar player in Greene to get other assets, and they got owned by Portland.

III. Overall: C-
    -I think DM and his staff got way too greedy this year and they paid a price for it. They thought that Zeller would be available at 18 and tried to be fancy and reached for White. Instead, Dallas clowned them with a trade, and now we have no center to start the season and a crap load of forwards. DD's right about the assets comment too, DM talks about letting the players fight against each other to earn minutes, but there are 5 positions not 1. Instead of getting PF A and PF B duke it out, why not get Center A to play with PF A instead? More importantly, how do you expect to build chemistry and have your players unite towards a common goal if you want them to cut each other to pieces first? Its bad mojo, and IMHO not a good way to build a championship team.

2. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Worst draft ever

3. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I would give him a A for the pre-draft moves and B for draft picks themselves but I in the end I have to give him a D because:
    A) even though I like all players, especially Lamb, I have a feeling White might be the only one who stays.
    B) Even if 2 or 3 of them stay, I don't see a lot of playing time for them with all the players (forwards) still here. Which leads me to:
    C) He wasn't able to make a trade and everybody anticipated Lowry being moved since he was almost an all-star last year. However, I am glad we didn't move into the top 10 because I'm not sure Drummond would've been worth the cost.
    D) No real big man

It's still incomplete and I'm very much happy with the picks but I have a gut feeling a trade for Gasol and or another soft big man and McHale is going to take the joy away.

4. Crank

Crank Member

I want Roy hibbert more than any center in the draft.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

too damn funny.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I hate grading drafts,but since this is what it is, I give it a C.

When drummond went to detroit,my next prospect was John Henson. I thought his wiry body,high bbiq,and genes would be great for mchale to work with. When my board starts falling in place and henson is there along with lamb, I though if the rockets took henson,the next 3 teams would pass on lamb. Phoenix maybe would've took lamb even with the guy they just resigned,philly wouldn't take him with turner,meeks,and iggy,and milwaukee wouldn't take lamb with monte ellis. So take henson at 12,lamb at 16,and bpa at 18. They didn't do it,so I guess we will see soon enough.

7. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

Both are said to have certain mental "issues".

In Griffin's case it's more like "had". He's dead now. Suicide in 2007... :(

8. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

Gave it a "B", based on the players selected at the points where they were taken.

Talented guys, no huge reaches.

Roster needs to be tweaked, obviously. Too many forwards and not any centers...

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am amused if anyone thought we'd get a whole lot out of this draft. Three picks in the middle of the first round with 12 being the highest ain't really all that great to work with.

I mean, it's hard to throw a top 7 or 8 pick for a bunch of middle picks and kyle lowry. so this draft i give morey a C+. He did exactly what was going to happen. The plus is for effort.

He has so little to work with. Really, there wasn't much we could have done, any GM for that matter.

What I fault Morey for is not moving Martin & Scola for anything. For a two sacks of hay and a gallon of milk would have been a wise move. These guys aren't part of our future, in fact, they are in the way. We should dump them anyway we can.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  11. WALAWALA

WALAWALA Rookie

Another " wait until trade deadline"

1 person likes this.
  12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm still laughing at some of you guys that gave D's and F's. You guys dont watch college ball. Plain and simple.

Do a damn google search. The Rockets got A's from multiple sites.

13. Toast

Toast Member

Nearly all the guys in the league had success in either college ball or overseas. That doesn't make you the next NBA superstar. It doesn't even make you a starter. In probably two out of three of our picks, it probably doesn't even get you on the roster. But hey, at least we'll have the most badass NBDL team ever fielded!

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Im gonna flip flop. I gave him a A+ but C- in strategy. I am gonna change that to a

A+ overall. I think the draft haul was that good.

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Draft was good. What is yet to be determined is what the team will look like come the start of the season.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Kubiak got Wade Phillips. . . .
    I think we need to look for a good CO-GM or something

Rocket River

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Fab melo rated out as the best one on one defender in college basketball last yr. Just saying

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And that is the true grade of the GM. Morey has put them in position to grab three max players. Whether or not it gets done remains to be seen, but he's right there and that is an accomplishment in itself. Grade the players he got in the draft on their own merits and grade the roster composition at the start of the season. They are unrelated at this point.

19. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

A for players picked

C/D for strategy (seriously, Orlando would never want our trash anyways, even with the 5th pick..and why would teams draft down when the top 5 picks were game-changers this year)

GMs these days arent gonna give up a superstar of Dwight's caliber for a bunch of middling players (Lowry, Scola, Martin..). Even Hornets got Eric Gordon in exchange for Chris Paul. Simply put the 'assets' Morey stashed up just isnt good enough.

#99 LCII, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Dwight issue is a little different because he is in the last year of his contract and is not re-signing with them. If Deron Williams signs with Brooklyn, at the end of the year Dwight will simply sign with Brooklyn. They can't give anything for Howard even if he was willing to do a sign-and-trade. That's the reason the Rockets do have a little leverage. Orlando can take Martin's (significant) expiring contract, a recent lottery pick and two top half of the draft players now, or risk getting nothing later. That's a gamble that is just as important for them as the one Morey is making now.