1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what grade do you give Morey on the 2012 draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Jun 29, 2012.

?

What grade do you give Morey on the 2012 draft?

1. A

12.6%
  2. B

35.4%
  3. C

24.0%
  4. D

15.2%
  5. F

12.8%
  1. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

i give him a B for the DRAFT. nothing we can do becuase lolcats got the wrong pick which screwed everything up... now come oct if we field this group with no trades (which i highly doubt) then i will be very upset.

2. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

Would you be open to posting who you think the best available was at 12, 16, and 18 in this year's draft???

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Right now I give a C. Lamb was a good choice (Getting tix for next season for that one :) )

White and Jones though..... I felt like we could've done better on those 2 picks. In my mind right now I felt like Zeller should've been 16, then any of the 10 remaining 6'9 pfs should've gone at 18.

But that is with me giving up on any trade for D12. I don't want Pau, J Smooth I like but apparently isnt going to happen, and Iggy/Gay alone wont be enough. I feel like I just came from a strip club, getting all excited with trades and rumors (lapdance), and then being very dissapointed

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like our draft, but I think we don't have the roster space to play 4.5 rookies so a few of them are going to rust on the bench.

And no to your question, what a waste of time that would be.

DD

5. dmoneybangbang

Don't be naive. Each GM have different ways of valuing players, you can just look at this draft for proof of that.

You are incorrectly assuming because our bench's talent doesn't follow the NBA norm of jumping off of a cliff about 8-9 spots down we have too many assets.

If you haven't learned anything about Morey then you ought to know he prefers a state of liquidity (flexibility) that allows him to make moves. It's counter intuitive but it allows him to be more picky, i.e. no point in overpaying for anything but the best. Better to have flexible mediocrity than hampered mediocrity.

What's your point? I can't think of one GM who picks the right pick every pick. But that's not my point. You conveniently leave out those players Morey did hit on.

6. southernconfort

We have plenty of space to play rookies

Down in the Rio Grande

7. dmoneybangbang

Well when you are drafting at 14... the historical odds that the BPA at 14 being that good is very low.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

A for the players selected.

Incomplete overall, since they are probably already being shopped.

But when does it all stop? At some point you have to stop making moves to set up future moves to set up future moves to set up future moves and you have to actually put a cohesive unit on the floor. A unit that is hopefully going to play together for more than 1 year.

9. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

D.

Lamb is the only clear cut good pick. White has potential but comes into a position we already have at least 3 players that are going to be competing for time at if we put him at PF. Jones is in the same boat but worst since he could be a PF but most likely is going to play SF, which we STILL have a log jam at because he is in the same mold as one of last year's 1 round picks, but has Parsons already ahead of him.

10. Shanghai Shake

Once the season starts, position may be the single least important factor in winning games. A player's production depends on his offensive skillset and defensive skill set. We drafted three players with extreme skillsets.

Lamb is a great ballhandler, has a great mid-range, and three point shot. In fact, if he can guard his position, he will make a way for himself to get minutes and potentially pave the way for K. Mart's exit.

White is a 6-8, 261lb pass first "power point forward." Who else does that soundl like: The King...nuff said.. A poor man's Lebron James is better than anything Chase, Parsons, or Twin can produce and I'm a fan of those guys.

Terrence Jones=Lamar Odom with a motor. Everyone watched Kentucky win it this year. Ask yourselves this quesion: "Was MKG really that much more effective than Terrenc Jones"??

BTW: Is Bosh a Center or Power Forward? Doesn't matter because winning games in the NBA are all about skill-set.

Learn About Me: I'm here all day.

11. Grigori

Grigori Member

In the Morey school of thought, future centers will be shorter faster players with long standing reach. If Camby does not re-sign, then I imagine Motiejunas and Leuer will be our centers. Even if the re-sign Camby, I imagine that Morey will make McHale limit Camby's playing time in favor of Leuer and Motiejunas.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Okay.

Thanks, I think I've learned everything I need to know now.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not disgruntled. I gave it very careful thought. The picks themselves might be quite good. But, we went in looking for a trade and came up empty. That's a failure. That's like if my homework was to write the proof for the Pythagorean formula, and I drew you a picture of a triangle.

14. httx713

httx713 Member

Since When Geniuses don't score straight A's , C+ Avg not good enough according to this poll

15. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Wow - you're giving Royce White way too much credit... a poor man's Lebron James? I'm sorry, but i have to disagree.

Royce White isn't anywhere near an elite defender LBJ is, and the guy is a turnover machine! You may want to look past his 1-triple-double against the Ags. He averaged almost 4 TO's a game last year!

I'm not saying he's a bad pick, but me personally, i would have taken a shot at PJIII and either Wroten or Teague. I think PJIII has a tremendous upside and you cant teach length and athleticism. Wroten/Teague - athletic PGs also with some upside and play making ability - i think would have been perfect fits to backup Lowry/Dragic. I'm not sold on Courtney Fortson as a backup.

16. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I gave him a B+. Before Jeremy Lamb's injury at Toronto (his second stop) he was a Top 6 pick. We got a steal at 12. Royce White is a top 5 talent, - the concerns. Jones was underwhelming, and the fact that we couldn't get Quincey Miller in tge 2nd round.

Doug Gottlieb said we had one of the 3 bests drafts. Trades still can, and will happen. 90% of the board said failed draft cuz no Howard or Drummond, it was a good draft and we have extreme flexibility.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Royce White reminds me a little of Dejuan Blair, a dominant college player, but a guy at the end of the rotation in the pros.

DD

18. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

19. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Here is why so many are disappointed...

because we had it in our minds that by the end of the day we were going to end up with two top 10 picks or Dwight or Josh Smith. We are grading next to that. But, White and Lamb are our future starters and I am OK if that happens.

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

No point grading the Rockets now until October. The chances that the current roster is what we'll see on Opening Night is essentially 0%.