1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what grade do you give Morey on the 2012 draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Jun 29, 2012.

?

What grade do you give Morey on the 2012 draft?

1. A

12.6%
  2. B

35.4%
  3. C

24.0%
  4. D

15.2%
  5. F

12.8%
  1. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

This is my fear as well.

A roster already with PatPat, Parsons, Morris, and Lee gets three more rookies added to it in Lamb, Jones, and White. Being able to get everyone court time -which they obviously did not care to do with Morris- will mean limiting the role of team vets Martin and Scola, and so long as that dynamic exists, there's always going to be tension between developing the talent on hand vs. fighting for the 8th seed and sitting the young guys.

I for one hope they're able to engineer a deal to ship out Martin and Scola in the near future, and one has to wonder why this hasnt happened yet. My guess is that their stock has devalued quite a bit since last season, and I hope we dont start another season with a Frankenstien roster, looking forward to a great trade at the deadline that never materializes....

2. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

I know, I know... we get lamb, white, and jones.

but we LOST Dally AND Bud

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

NOOOOOOO!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

unless one of picks turns into an elite player (i doubt it will happen and i don't believe anyone here think it will happen), the grade on this draft is F, F, F, F .......

5. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

It was a surprise that we passed all 3 North Carolina players at 12, then passed Zeller at 16.

I don't understand why we not get Zeller at 16, then White at 18.

I like Kendall Marshall, who is one of few passing first PGs and has high basketball IQ. Suns make smart choice.

6. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

So, who would you have drafted? And please don't say you would have traded Lowry 18 and 16 for the 5 th pick, for all we know Morey tried that or even more aggressive trades that were turned down.

He didn't reach with any pick and he only took players with the potential to turn into stars. That's what we need - Morey obviously has to adjust the roster some to get rid of the log jam at Sf and PF, but he is doing everything he can to turn this roster around while not tanking.

I am disappointed with the draft simply because we come out of it with several question marks - but I think there is nothing wrong with the players drafted...

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Because Dallas wanted White and Lamb. White wasn't going to fall to 18.

9. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

One of those 3 players has to pan out for us really well, im excited!

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Morris was only one drafted by Morey. Morris still has time.

T. Williams is the only one we acquired as the reason behind the deal. That was a bad deal. Of the small trades, this one has been the worst.

I give Morey a lot of credit for small deals, but he has yet to hit that proverbial Home Run. Rockets have run out of roster room.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

A lot of you guys don't even watch college ball. I'm sick of casual college fans (won't take any names) giving low grades when they watch ball in March...maybe.

All 3 guys can play. Giving out grades right now are silly bc it takes time for youngins to see how they'll translate into the NBA.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How do I grade this draft . . ..
    Our of 82 Game Scale . . .I think 42~45 games

Rocket River
    Not satisfied

13. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

no one said these picks are sucks but they are not rox saver. rox is going to be exactly same as the last year, picking #14 and going fishing earlier.

14. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

Given what the Rockets had to work with pick-wise, I think they did a pretty good job and actually maneuvered their picks pretty well.

Jeremy Lamb - has the potential to be an All Star at the 2, and was regarded as a much higher pick before the year. He was still productive, but he played on a pretty dysfunctional UConn team. He should be someone to be excited about picking up outside the top 10.

If the Rockets hadn't shipped out Dalembert to move up to 12, then Phoenix probably takes Lamb off the board before Houston even gets a look. Giving up Dalembert to move up a few spots seems like a lot, but the 12 spot might be where they saw a drop-off in talent. They may have been content with Henson at 14, but instead they got a player to be excited about at 12. Tiers and all that...

Royce White - Having this guy fall to the Rockets at 16 should be a blessing. Watch the highlight reel Clutch posted on the front page or any of the others on Youtube. Watch the kind of plays he's able to make on the court at his size. Once you've done that, take a close look at who he's making those plays against. He's not beating up on undersized college kids. He's making plays against players like Anthony Davis, Drummond, MKG who were taken much higher than him. To me, this says that his skill will translate to the NBA level. (I remember hearing talk that the Rockets front office was impressed with how Carl Landry competed against Noah and Horford in the tourney...could be similar thinking here.) Honestly, I'd be happy if the Rockets had taken White at 12.

Terrence Jones - as a lottery pick, he's probably a reach, but I'm fine with taking this guy at 18. He's versatile and skilled for his size. He probably won't be a star, but at Kentucky he proved that he can be a productive and vital part of a team without being the featured player. That's something not a lot of players are capable of doing.

Not drafting Tyler Zeller - I've never really been sold on this guy being able to make an impact in the NBA. Clutch calls him a center version of Luis Scola, but I don't see the comparison. Luis is skilled and crafty and able to manufacture shots over larger players. Zeller is long and lanky and able to use his size to shoot over smaller guys. Those guys won't be smaller at the next level. He looks stiff in the post, and he shoots his put backs from his shoulder.

Yes, the Rockets need a center, but if they don't believe Zeller can play then you have to be willing to pass on him. If he was such a sure thing, would Portland have passed on him twice, taking a project like Meyers Leonard at 11??? This might sound crazy, but Jon Leuer in his 2nd year and Tyler Zeller as a rookie might have similar levels of productivity...

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

that is what i am disappointed at most. all those baby steps he did in the past made rox a competitive and the best team among non-playoff teams. we are keeping getting #14. i don't see how those teens picks turns into one of top 5 picks. he has been trying to trade garbage for diamond. i am sorry sometimes you have to give up to get something. he always believe he can do tricks more often than other gms.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Nah I think we'll be better or worse. If I had to guess...better.

17. southernconfort

Replace Terrance Jones with Fab Melo and I am happy. Nothing against Jones because I think he can be a good role player in the NBA, but he just doesn't fit with us, since we already have a team full of undersized Power Forwards . At least Fab Melo is a project that is a center, and that can protect the rim

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Wait til the trading period is over, we can't judge now. He took the best guys available.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

According to whom?

Because his record of best guys available has not been all that great these last few years.

DD

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He definitely nailed Lamb. White could be a more athletic Diaw while Jones has the athleticsm to play SF and be a mismatch, don't think he will fail like Morris(who didn't have enough athleticsm and handles for SF).

All these guys would've gone way higher in a typical draft year.