1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what grade do you give Morey on the 2012 draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Jun 29, 2012.

?

What grade do you give Morey on the 2012 draft?

1. A

12.6%
  2. B

35.4%
  3. C

24.0%
  4. D

15.2%
  5. F

12.8%
  1. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

I think this is a fair assessment and why I gave him a B overall.

2. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I gave Morey "B" because of that too. They are going force Morey to overpay the players he want.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I honestly don't know what was wrong with taking Tyler Zeller if our plan was to keep the picks we made. White/Jones make no sense for this team and just add to what was already a glut.

I hope Morey feels real confident about nabbing Howard or Hibbert, because otherwise trading Dally to move up two spots is going to look real dumb.

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Winner,Winner-Chicken Dinner!!!!
    Every team has a scouting department going after the best talent,
    hence you can't draft what has already been taken. You say your
    prayers and eat your wheaties and hope for the best!

Solid draft..... IMHO

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

My grade is based on his years as a GM for the rockets and it's a F. The results speak for themselves.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Watching young players devalue on the bench because of an unbalanced roster is not good either. I give the guys drafted a "b" I give the situation as to the team a "d"

DD

7. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

I don't see how anyone can call the Rockets anything but BIG WINNERS for the draft.

Jeremy Lamb has all the potential in the world to become a star player in this league.

Royce White isn't your same ol' classic "tweener". His unique knack for passing the ball and handling the rock and very rare for a guy his size.

The only player I see as "maxed out" is Terrence Jones. He IS a classic "tweener" the Rockets didn't need. Sure, he just won a National Title, but I don't personally think he's what the Rockets needed at 18.

Anywho...A- for Daryl Morey. The prize of this draft was Royce White. Honorable Mention to Jeremy Lamb.

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

We got:

Rolls Royce

Stoned Lamb

T-Jones (Freddie Gibbs' protégé)

and we still have DMo!

Too many prospects, feels like sugar rush!

[​IMG]

9. anchel

anchel Member

Love the picks. Not 'A' because didn't made the big move.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

So our current roster looks like:

Lowry/Livingston
    Martin/Lamb
    Parsons/Jones/Morris/Brockman
    Scola/Patterson/White/Leuer
    None

We expect DMo to join the team, and I guess he would become our defacto C. I'm really hopeful Morey can move Martin, Scola, & Patterson.

Really would have liked to get Drummond.

I like each player we picked, but only Lamb has a clear path to minutes.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Am I grading him on the picks, individually, or whether I think he improved the TEAM?

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't follow college ball or prospects. I don't know any of those players except for Lamb

But from hearing what people say about them I gave him a B

13. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

If there's ONE thing to trust Morey in, it's picking guys that can play in the NBA.

Let's remember that MAYBE 8-10 guys in the entire draft will have any kind of career. Most fizzle out.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Not sure it matters, Max. Just throw one of the first 5 letters of the alphabet out there, or reserve judgement due to anxiety issues, like I am.

15. Toast

Toast Member

I graded it a D.

I do like Lamb. Great pick. Hopefully he turns into a hybrid of the next T-Mac and the next Rudy Gay.

I wish we could have packaged the 16 & 18 and Martin and whoever to move up to 5, 7, or 8 to get Drummond.

Keeping all those picks just doesn't help us at all. So Morey did well with what he had, but he's the one who dealt his own cards. D.

16. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

It would've been easy to draft Zeller... Morey did even though he knows we desperately need a center. That means he or McHale or both didn't like the kid.

Morey couldn't get a trade done to get into the top 10. Neither did any other team. Logic conclusion: the asking price was too high. Some people might've liked the gamble, but it could've cost us our young promising talent just to add other young promising talent.

It sucks to be Morey, because other teams and star players don't like to deal with him - but given the circumstances he did a good job. Drafting for need is a road to failure, drafting too many forwards means you have a lot of work to do before the season starts. I just hope we can go the young talent route from now on and collect some high lottery picks on the road...

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

D

Rockets need to consolidate talent before the season. Last night was an excellent opportunity.

I did not pay attention to Lamb or White. Jones looks to be a decent pick at 18. I would not have wanted him higher.

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

reserving judgment till the inevitable trade comes, no way we hold on to all these guys.

so I guess it would be a INC from me.

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

First, and I have to credit Gater for his critical analysis with which I concur, Morey values players unlike any other GM in the NBA. Therefore, the other GMs are not likely to give him much for players they don't value. That's why we have so many "assets" and so few players. In short, don't count on acquiring real players -- those not past their prime -- during the off season.

Grade: D (again)

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Like Thabeet, Hill, T-Williams, Jonny Flynn, Marcus Morris et al?