1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what exactly does Joey Dorsey do better than Clint Capela?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Why people still ****ting on Joey is beyond me. Did you see the Spurs game @ home or any others lately? This guy knows how to rebound, despite his lack of size. His offensive rebounds were key! I agree with Clutch girl, but I'd say positioning and awareness is also better though the advantage of Capela in the pick and roll is just too good to pass up in case we face a big team.

Both will probably not be in the rotation much, so I'd say use Dorsey unless he's clearly undersized and we could beat the opponent on the pick and roll, then use Capela. In all other cases, you gotta go with the proven 'veteran' in Joey.

2. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Provide comedy?

3. today

today Contributing Member

Sidenote: I thought for sure Bill would have used "Capela my NEW fella" by now, referencing his old nickname for Othella Harrington. Have I just missed it? I tweeted Bull about it, we'll see what he says...

1 person likes this.
  4. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Because Dorsey is Howard's twin brother.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You can't ignore that Dorsey has more NBA experience and has been through the gauntlet of Greek basketball. He may be a mini-Dwight but he is no mental midget.

Meanwhile Capela is a total noob.

I'm not advocating for Capela to see no time at all in the playoffs, I am just pointing out that the decision isn't as obvious and clear-cut as some of you want to believe.

A similar argument can be made for Nick Johnson and the Methuselah twin PGs

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's better at offensive rebounding
    He's a better pick and roll defender
    He's a better defender when switched to guards
    He's better at boxing out.

7. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Serously, Capela had just made two freethrows last night. That doesn't mean that the jitters are behind him on NBA court already. And we are talking about playoffs.

Kyrie Irving ask mike miller what a playoff game feels like:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TyYU18ZBo7o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Since 3/30, Capela's numbers per 36:

16.6 points 15.2 rebounds 4.15 blocks on 73% shooting.

9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

There is a reason, Capela isn't playing 36 minutes.

And it has nothing to do with his skill, Mchale is just to dumb to play him.

10. hakeemthagreat

Either way Robin Lopez is gonna have a field day in the playoffs against either one of'em. Morey's biggest mistake will be choosing not to get another big to backup Dwight. Look for Lopez to get every loose ball & offensive rebound

11. A00man

A00man Member

Dorsey is one of the worst NBA Players I have seen. He does nothing better than Capela. Only reason he gets minutes is because he's paid his dues by sitting on the bench for multiple teams throughout the years. He sucks. Sit him back on the bench and give Capela his minutes.

12. CertifiedTroll

Capela is a much more talented player than Dorsey. But the thing Dorsey does that Capela is incapable of doing (at times) is being calm.

13. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

Hassan Whiteside numbers

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Here's the long story:

McHale is not the first NBA coach, much less the first Rockets coach, to bury a substantially more talented rookie on the bench in favor of a veteran they know , and (here's the key word) TRUST.

I'm not saying its right, but its the way it is.

Coaches at the NBA level, especially those who have been around long enough, expect players to come into training camp knowing where to be on defensive rotations, knowing what sets like "Pistol" are like, knowing where to roll, knowing out of bounds plays, etc. Even when you know the sets, and rotations, getting used to the speed at things are run can hold you back.

Since NBA teams really don't practice as much as you'd think, they have a limited time to get into their game-planning, so teaching a young rook these NBA basics wears them down, and they end up just relying on assistant coaches to get them up to speed on their own time which rarely happens because NBA players time is limited as well.

So the long story short is McHale nor has the time, patience, or trust of Capela. Dorsey is easier for him to coach because he knows where to be, and he knows his assignments. It's stupid, but that's the way it is, and its not just the Rockets that see this issue with their rookies and their coaches disregard of them.

Part of the problem has to do with the way they are coached to prepare for the NBA in AAU and in college. Its a reason why we saw Papanikolaou step right in early on in the season, and why I think Llull will be good for the Rockets next year as well if brought over. Euroleague, while still substantially different, has a much closer game to the NBA than College. Capela didn't play for Real Madrid or Barcelona for 3 or 4 years to get that experience. He might as well be straight out of highschool or have one year of NCAA playing for a coach that played a safe college style of ball that had no translation to the NBA game.

After a full summer and training camp, I expect us to see an entirely new Clint Capela, and I expect the coaches to gain that trust in him over the Summer as well.

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Calvin Murphy has been advertising his summer basketball camp, where he emphasized 'learning the right way, not the AAU way.'

16. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

When was the last time Joey Dorsey was playing minutes in the playoffs?

17. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

What does Joey plus/minus look like? I just see a different energy from the players around Clint vs. Joey. We all know Joey cannot finish in traffic and must have a clear path to his patented dunk.

It just appears that Clint gives us so much more on both ends of the floor in the limited amount of time. Surround him with Harden, Smith, Brewer, and Ariza. He should be able to play with that lineup.

All it takes is McFail and Failettes to get a proper rotation to protect him. That means not paring him with Tjones at no point in time. Only Smith.

18. stab

stab Member

Team Defense, and that's about it..

19. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Capela improves our team defense. Dorsey just doesn't do anything well.
    He only gets rebounds when no one is around to out jump him for it. Countless times I've seen Capela get rebounds he's probably not even suppose to have. He's a freak athlete with size! And he has soft hands around the basket, with some work he could be great.

People want to call him skinny but isn't Anthony Davis/Rudy Gobert considered as "Skinny guys" by NBA standards especially for big men.

20. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Good question. None.

My question is how many NBA minutes has Clint Capela played?