1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what did we learn in Summer League?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deckard, Jul 21, 2014.

1. domd221

domd221 Member

I remember a few instances where we gave up 2nd/3rd/4th chances. I know DMo had good rebounding numbers in SL, but I feel like 3rd/4th chances should never happen

2. domd221

domd221 Member

Also, Nick Johnson has been impressive.

And Andre Dawkins can shoot

3. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I'm definitely in the minority here. But from I see, DMo hasn't improved all that much from last season. Have nice post moves here and there. Shaky mid range. Pick up stupid fouls. Tend to draw charges instead of go for the block. Not aggressive going for the rebound, etc...

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One thing to note about Canaan:

During the playoffs, he was not even on the active roster. He was in a suit while the likes of Daniels, Powell and Hamilton were in uniform (and Daniels got minutes). So, the coaches apparently didn't think Canaan was all that ready to contribute.

It's not like he showed a whole lot when he did get (limited) minutes, either: In 252 NBA minutes (small sample size, but not entirely negligible), he shot .40% from 2 point range, 33% from 3 point range, had a 17.4% TOV%, and 97 ORtg.

Yes, it's probably hard to prove yourself during 252 minutes of often "garbage time" opportunities, but coaches do look to them when deciding whether to give more important opportunities to a player-- Carl Landry got into the rotation by first playing well in garbage time as a rookie, for example.

Anyhow, I don't think the coaches were crazy not playing Canaan more last year. He has potential. But like many rookies, he needed seasoning.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nick Johnson is going to, one day, be the hybrid 1/2 that we've lacked since Vernon. I would say Stevie, but Francis didn't have the court awareness or the ability to let the game come to him. Nick's about winning basketball games....playing in the flow.

And DMo is on his way....The guy was always going to take longer to develop than TJ, but it's happening. He'll be able to utilize those sweet moves in the post, crash the boards, while sticking the J from downtown at a high clip once he gets enough burn. Running like a deer and playing really good defense, DMo's upside has always been higher, with a boom or bust quality to it...Well, he's making it.

6. RYAN3053

RYAN3053 Member

That I don't completely trust Canaan as the backup pg. A rotation of bev, Daniels, beard, and Johnson has a nice balance of offense and defense. The question mark is that backup 3. I don't trust Covington at all.

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Canaan and dmo look like valuable assets. Nick johnson will be in the rotation sooner than later.

8. Remlap

Remlap Member

What did we learn?

1) Someone had it right, we STILL blow leads. We took Dmo out with a few minutes left and they went on a 9-0 run.
    2) Nick Johnson can jump like an alley cat but can't hit the ocean from the beach. Has no reliable jumpshot. We need a PG who is more of scoring threat. A replacement for Parsons? Please...
    3) Canaan doesn't mind shooting 3's and has no biz going into the trees in the paint
    4) Summer leaguers make Dmo look like Hakeem
    5) Covington is not the player we saw last year
    6) It was these guys and other non-factors in summer league

1 person likes this.
  9. Harden's beard

One thing that had me super excited was Dmo's p&r defense, which alot of yall haven't mentioned. He hedged when needed and looked pretty comfortable out there, and just because they aren't nba quality players doesn't mean they don't have the speed to be one. It looks like the game has finally slowed a bit for him. Now let's just see if he holds it together against greater talent.

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

Do you remember when DMO used to run out of gas in a few minutes!

11. King901

King901 Member

Nick Johnson - High basketball IQ, will help contribute right away
    I.Cannan - Improved defensively, shot selection is crazy. (bad way crazy)
    Covington - .........
    D.Mo- He can dance with the baby wolves, can he perform with the rest of the pack though? He has improved defensively. Only thing i don't like is his hook shots when he doesnt look at the rim.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Covington was a revelation during the summer league games.

He revealed how much he sucks. Time to cut our losses with this guy.

13. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

Can anyone explain why Covington sucks so much in the summer league? Is he put on a very different role than he is comfortable with, or is he just terrible even at things in addition to shooting 3s? How is his defense?

I just don't understand why a NBDL MVP suddenly becomes so terrible in the summer league.Basically the level of competition in the summer should only be slightly higher.

14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I learned that there is no N in DMo.

2 people like this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Who said that Johnson was "a replacement for Parsons?" I was comparing the chances of 2 second round picks to be contributors sooner, rather than later. That I thought it possible that Johnson could have quick success like Parsons, instead of struggling to make the team. I still think it's possible that he could earn minutes this season in the rotation, and sooner, rather than later. We'll see. Unless Johnson grows 8 inches overnight and starts playing the 3, he's not replacing Parsons or anyone else at small forward. Should I use a large font, words simple to understand, and assume the collective intelligence of the board is that of the rat that didn't leave the sinking ship? I think not, although if you were the sole audience, I'd certainly consider it.

I'll save the "sinking ship" analogy for the actual season. I'm hoping I won't need it.

1 person likes this.
  16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Overnight? Johnson might grow several inches within a matter of seconds when stimulated.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Jealous?

;-D-

18. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

it is very unrealistic to assume Johnson can replicate what Parsons can do. Being a rotation player is very different than being a player consistent started who can take over games from time to time. Although Parsons was really not at a star level last year, he has inarguably become a top 10 SF in this league. Comparing Johnson to Parsons is unfair and you are just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Is it "what did we learn in Summer League or at Summer League?"

Is it what did we learn in Band Camp or at Band Camp?

"One time at Summer League, Donte Greene scored 40pts in his first game!"

#59 heypartner, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm attempting to edit the title and change it to "from Summer League?" So far, it's not taking the edit, so you'll have to suffer. We'll see what happens.