1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So we gonna act like Ariza is our Chandsome replacement when we have K-PAP DA GAWD?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Oct 14, 2014.

1. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

To add to my post above, Paps will also play with the starters as the stretch 4 as he did vs the Warriors last night.

He's so effective off the ball that Harden and Howard and Ariza and Bev will make him look even better.

2. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

Parsons shot comes and goes...That is still evident in this years preseason as he completely lost his shot in 2-3 games...He's still not a consistent 3 point threat, I have much more confidence in Ariza's stroke

3. jim158

jim158 Member

1)It is true that he Works hard. Every year he is a bit better than the previous year. And its ball handling while still bad is better than before 2 years
    2) He Works with the rockets just a month but i do have the impression that he lowers his boddy better during ball handling
    3) In both Olympiakos and Barcelona everyone knew that Pap could not handle the ball effectively and no one was asking from him to create.
    If rockets(and the crowd) are willing to tolerate his handling mistakes ,i agree that he will expand his game . But he has big contract. So he has to offer immediately
    4) If The Dream could teach him some post moves that will take advantage his fast legs perhaps could play at 4 against small PFs
    5) But i repeat that the critical factor will be his long range shot. If he will shoot well he will stay in NBA , if he shoots 0/5 3pts ,like the other night ,soon he will be back
    Finally a want to see his mentaly strength in an unknown, very competitive enviroment. In Europe he had not a single bad period and was playing among friends

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

No one here cares. Mavs vids belong elsewhere.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thanks for the input. Well I guess we have to see more games.

Nowadays more and more Euro players are turning into the Gasols than Spanoulises.

Euros are getting more accustomed to the NBA.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Tbh, he seems like he's better suited to the spacing of the nba game, it's not so much his playmaking but his general feel for when to pass the ball, i don't think he'll ever be accused of making the ball sticky, the increased movement is great when we have the sniper team on, he doesn't seem to make lazy passes either (oh how that killed us last year), we notice that, we notice that a lot.

On his ball handling, nah he's not great, but it seems ok for what we want, it's solid enough to bring it up the court to stop pg presses, it's decent enough against single coverage, we don't want him to be a pg, nor do we expect him to dribble through traffic ala james.

His contract isn't big by nba standards, I'm not sure how his conditioning will hold up, but he's not being paid half as much as Trevor, plus its extremely team friendly in return for that first year.

His 3 point shooting, he seems to check his feet when he's close to the line, the only time he doesn't is when he's about 3 feet behind the line, that I don't know how long it'll take him to get used to, but once they do, the drop is usually about 3% (so 38 to 35)

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

1) Relax. He will not be the major focus on the offensive game, even in the 2nd unit. We got to get another Point Guard. And I am sure he will improve his handles.
    3) I do not think it is that big a contract in NBA terms.

They already gave Dmo 3 or 4 years so I do not think Kostas will only get 1 or 2 years and be back to Europe (with guys like Llull refusing to play in the NBA at all) 5)

8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

sounds like you'd rather stroke ariza. teehee. ^_^ :cool:

9. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Is he a true player?

10. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

i think pap has got an outside chance at the ROY, once his shot starts falling. his BBIQ is off the charts and he will probably play a very prominent role for us this season. really looking forward to watching him perform this season

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Round 1: Buzzlite defeats swyyyguy

12. mikeyg603

mikeyg603 Member

+19 for Papa in his first 12 minutes with a 4-4-4. Showing he can still be effective when his shot isn't falling.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He was brutally bad in his first few possessions - airball/TO/lapse/airball - not going to lie< I was ready to dig out all of the Spanoulis posts and just CTRL V him into them.

He rallied nicely in the second half though - he needs a 3 point shot badly, but he can contribute if he gets one.

14. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

has has one... troy daniels also missed all of his attempts..

first game jitters

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

he reminds me of scola in that he has all the talent/skill needed to succeed in the NBA - he also has that grit/toughness about him and is also a very crafty player. Much like Scola though he is going to need some time before he becomes with the speed of the NBA and the caliber of players.

The way he bounced back in the second half after a bad first half is encouraging - the more he plays and learns the better he will become.

16. HTM

HTM Member

Pap isn't as stylish... more of the swarthy dark Greek type...

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of Papanikolaou. He's productive, but maybe more importantly, he's great fun to watch while he is producing.

There is one thing that I am worried about. John Hollinger has developed a formula for translating Euroleague stats to NBA. Obviously, it isn't perfect, but it generally does a pretty good job of predicting general ranges. Across the board, Big Papa shows some pretty weird numbers when you fit him into the formula.

Specifically, the thing that worries me the most is that it predicts a FG% that was somewhere around .370% or .380%, and he's had several games where he's put up performances like last night, where he wen't 2-6.

I'm pretty sure Big Papa is going to be a very good player, but if he fails to live up to his potential because of on court basketball reasons, it looks to me like FG efficiency has a pretty decent chance to be the failure point. I know I will be keeping a close eye on his FG%.

18. cbk41

cbk41 Member

The only thing I am worried about with him is being forced to throw up too many shots or do too much when the second unit gets stagnant. When he's playing the stretch 4 or with Howard and Harden in there he take advantage of it.

19. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Have no complaints about Papa. He played very well. Hope he keeps it up when we play better competition.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I have a feeling he's going to be gone, if we get that pg....SOON.