1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Coke Commercial controversy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by apollo33, Feb 7, 2014.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And majority of those idiots would say they are conservative or members of the Republican party.

2. Major

Major Member

Lots of conservative politicians and political commentators have criticized it. I'm pretty sure they all have pretty significant opinions on politics.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

It wasn't controversial. Nobody cared here in the states. Some people pretend like there is a controversy so they can feel better about themselves, but nobody in the states gives 2 ****s about a coke commercial.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

You must've been SOOO proud!!!

5. Major

Major Member

Except for all the immense amount of airtime on conversative radio and FOX News about the ad, from Beck to Limbaugh to FOX hosts and analysts and many, many of their listeners and viewers. You not thinking it was controversial is not the same as no one in the states thinking so.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I heard someone else say that this could be a genius marketing move by Coke. Coke commercials generally spark roll eyes from hipsters and progressives hate the corporation and how unhealthy the product is. By creating a commercial that they know will cause ire among the mouth breathers now Coke benefits from the a counter response from those who generally would be against them.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. There should be zero controversy over this. Conservative commentators have tried to make it an issue.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Eh, when I saw the commercial, I assumed it was all around the world.

9. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I liked the commercial

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

How would you know how much airtime was given?

I liked the commercial so much that while at walmart, I picked up a couple 2 liters just for the commercial.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'd say you're viewing something that was written over a hundred years ago through today's goggles which is ridiculous.

It's fashionable today to say that since we're all immigrants in some form or fashion that traditions and language don't matter. This is nonsense. English is our de facto language and to say otherwise is not genuine. We generally do business in English, we teach in English, we govern in English, and that's not disputable. We can be inclusive of all cultures, all religions, and all beliefs but we use a common language in this country and English has been that language.

Politically, there is a constant effort by illegals and their supporters to try to erase away what it means to be an American. That somehow we're all just people and laws don't matter, boundaries don't matter, traditions if they're American don't matter. Yes, speaking English is partly an identifier of what it is to be an American. If you don't speak it you're going to have a hell of a hard time functioning in this country. That's not racism or xenophobia, that's the tradition and that's just reality. I didn't like the commercialization of the song and in this political climate I don't like the fact that they use all kinds of different languages to sing a patriotic, traditionally American song in some stupid we are the world kumbaya moment.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

if you think this commercial at all "erases what it means to be an American" then you have bigger problems to worry about.

13. Major

Major Member

There's this crazy thing called the internet where you can read about all the different people that talked about this issue on the air.

14. CometsWin

Sounds like your reading comprehension is a significantly larger problem. Work on it.

15. Major

Major Member

And yet, in their homes and communities, immigrants often still speak their first languages, as have immigrants all through history. What people do today is no different than what various groups did when they came over and settled. And, not suprisingly, those groups and today's both manage to integrate into society just fine. But if you go into their homes, there's a good chance they might just talk - and sing - in other languages.

1 person likes this.
  16. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Saying it is our de facto language is not genuine. There is no federal law that states English is the official language of the United States.
    So singing a song that is describing America as beautiful in another language is unpatriotic? Would it be unpatriotic to sing this song in Hawaiian? Over 300 languages are spoken or signed in America. Over 25 different languages appear on official state documents for numerous states. More languages are spoken in America (may even be just California) than in all of Europe. The majority of the colonists did not just speak English (in fact more spoke French, German, Dutch, and Spanish than English). The Dutch language has been in America longer than English.

So the idea that people not liking this commercial because of the use of different languages is just plain stupid.

17. dback816

dback816 Member

Aren't you the guy who thinks only African Americans face real discrimination in this country?

No wonder you're so toxic against other minorities.

18. CometsWin

Apparently you don't know what de facto means.

Notice how you didn't address anything I said and rattled off a lot of irrelevant information? Me too.

19. CometsWin

You're trying to have a different discussion.

20. CometsWin

Righto. LOL. And I await my quotes to that effect but when you can't find them you can just apologize.