1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

THAT should be the question that Verducci asks him. "Why didn't you stop it?"

At this point, if Luhnow told them to continue it, he should be free/able to say that. I doubt that was the case though. More likely, Hinch (like everybody else) didn't think this was that big of a deal since most teams were utilizing the live video monitors in some way/form.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am still baffled as to why none of the guilty parties has said the plain truth. Why would Hinch not just say:

“I knew about it, and I knew it was against the rules, so I didn’t like it, and I let that be known. But I also knew everyone else was using tech to steal, and I assumed other teams were signaling during at bats, and that combined with my hesitation to go against my bench coach and veteran players caused me not to act more decisively. In hindsight, I should have plainly told my guys to stop. I didn’t do that, and that’s why I got suspended. Lesson learned.”

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-mos...gN0MP6UVP_kjdai7ysUr9OHWSPA7WEXWjYKUsXW1U5ClU

From thew second table in this article.
    Astros Banging Scheme Leverage Index
    Leverage At-bats Cumulative Run Value
    Low Leverage 308 1.94
    Medium Leverage 262 1.97
    High Leverage 53 -2.00

_____

If this information is correct (and I'm reading it correctly), the Astros gained about 2 runs overall in the cheating scheme. The punishment is worth about 33 runs.

msn and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. Major

Major Member

Maybe it's not true? It's funny how everyone keeps saying this, but no one has any evidence of it past whenever that 2017 memo came out saying the new penalties would be harsh. (Except for the Red Sox, who are getting punished next week.)

5. Major

Major Member

What is all the specific evidence of other teams cheating post-memo 2017?

6. Elienator

Elienator Member

I'm not sure what Aaron's deal is and it's hard to take seriously given this is all basically the exact same thing that has been going on for decades. He could really hit a baseball though.

BigM likes this.
  7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I presume the National media will not run with this data and will chose to use the difference in strikeout rates from 2016 and 2017 as the advantage gained.

msn and everyday eddie like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

Why would they? No one cares the outcome of the cheating. It's the act that matters. And overall numbers are irrelevant anyway - if it helped them score a run in any single critical postseason game, then losing some runs in other games is irrelevant.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The same as was against the Astros before Fiers squealed? The only thing surprising about Astros getting caught for sign stealing was that they were caught. Red Sox and Yankees destroyed breaking balls/offspeed pitches at home and were impotent against them on the road in the playoffs. Dodgers, oddly, destroyed breaking/offspeed pitches everywhere and miraculously have hitters that can't hit offspeed/breaking balls destroy them in Dodgers Blue.

Jake Tower likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

Exactly. And the same as you or I having committed murder. It requires evidence to go from random speculation to truth.

Although, technically, the banging video/audio evidence was out there. It's just that no one connected the dots.

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if Betts or Price have anything they'd like to admit now that they're seemingly heading out of Boston?! Mookie might have more to lose given he won the MVP in '18, but maybe one of, if not both, of them have an axe to grind with the Sawx?!

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28498706/espn-jessica-mendoza-says-mike-fiers-gone-mlb-first

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...igns-extension-espn-resigns-mets-adviser-role

Commissioner Rob Manfred said during this week's owners meetings that he was not comfortable with Mendoza and former Boston Red Sox pitcher Pedro Martinez being both team employees and broadcasters.

"It's a topic that remains under discussion internally,'' Manfred said. "It caused a lot of complications, not just on this particular incident or comments, but in general.''

13. Nook

Nook Member

He didn't think "right is right" and "wrong is wrong" until he was caught.

It just seems very self serving to me for him now to comment.

I actually have more respect for Luhnow's "**** all of you" attitude on all of this.

There have been very very few people that were as respected and genuinely liked as AJ Hinch and that shouldn't be forgotten....... but grow a back bone. Accept what your involvement was, learn from it and move on.

RayRay10 and BigM like this.
  14. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

AG Hinch comes across much worse than the GM in this whole thing, the GM didn't protest so loudly just a couple months earlier how innocent they were. shows you style goes a long way in this world. Hinch will be back managing long before the GM, MLB had it in for the GM - he pissed off a lot of people with his style and arrogance. Paybacks are a b****.

Nook likes this.
  15. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

I agree with Nook again on this, I am not a fan of Trump's policies, but if you are going to go down that path of being the villain to many people, then embrace it, and don't be wishy washy about it - just seems too soft and scheming by Hinch - when you now know he will say anything that serves his goals to further his interests - and it seems he will get a pass , and be back managing the Mets in a year.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Does admitting that they did it count as "specific evidence"?

17. Nook

Nook Member

"On Tuesday, The Athletic reported — using three anonymous sources — the Boston Red Sox used the video replay room near the dugout to aid in electronically stealing signs in 2018, when the team won 108 games during the regular season and the World Series.

The report said players would wander into the unguarded replay room during regular season games to decipher opponents' sign sequences. That information would be relayed to a runner on second base. The runner would signal to the hitter whether the incoming pitch was a fastball — right foot off the bag first — or an offspeed offering — left foot first. This system, according to The Athletic, only worked with a runner on second or sometimes first.

The Red Sox led the league in runs scored in 2018 (876). The method stopped during the postseason when MLB instituted an in-person monitor inside the video replay rooms, a practice that carried over into the 2019 season."

18. Nook

Nook Member

Also, why does everything have to be post memo?

Teams knew it was wrong......... The Red Sox were fined for using an Apple watch to cheat in September of 2017. They were punished for it, it was a known problem.

RayRay10, Dgn1 and everyday eddie like this.
  19. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Now is the winter of our discontent
    Made glorious summer by this son of York;
    And all the clouds that loured upon our house
    In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.
    Now are our brows bound with victorious wreaths,
    Our stern alarums changed to merry meetings,
    Our dreadful marches to delightful measures.
    Grim-visaged war hath smoothed his wrinkled front,
    . . .
    He capers nimbly in a lady’s chamber
    To the lascivious pleasing of a lute.
    But I, that am not shaped for sportive tricks
    Nor made to court an amorous looking-glass;
    . . .
    Why, I in this weak piping time of peace
    Have no delight to pass away the time,
    Unless to spy my shadow in the sun
    And descant on mine own deformity.
    And therefore since I cannot prove a lover
    To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
    I am determined to prove a villain
    And hate the idle pleasures of these days.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.