1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So nasty. 59 seconds of Dallas Keuchel

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by LonghornFan, May 11, 2017.

1. MSBRockets

MSBRockets Member

There is a big difference between being hurt and injured. I agree partially with what you said above. Last year.. Keuchel was hurt, not injured. Syndergaard though.. that was different, he was injured.

Truth of the matter.. Keuchel was probably a bit over-worked the year before and his bad numbers last year were likely the aftermath. That being said, Keuchel wasn't injured, and him taking the mound didn't face nearly the same risk of injury as Syndegaard.

Side note.. Can we give the Astros physicians and health care staff a little credit for Keuchel's success? Is it not possible the Astros and team doctors determined last year there wouldn't be long term effects if Keuchel pitched through last season.. and allowed him the green light as a result?

Either way, when we have a 25-11 record, I believe the love should be spread to all involved.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Right, that's what I said. Keuchel was hurt(ing?) going into the season. We saw it, we talked about it in April/May, something was just not right. What if he had been honest with himself or the staff? What if he had sat down for a month or so, how does the season turn out (his and the team's)? There's a point before which no pitcher will admit they are hurt, "Give me the ball". This is how they are wired.

I only mentioned Snyder to illustrate the amazing stubbornness of the typical MLB pitcher, not as a comparison health-wise. How the hell did we start talking about this anyway?

3. oelman44

oelman44 Member

The precise control that allows him to masterfully work the edges of the strike zone. That, and he's pounding the bottom of the strike zone more than ever before, and has a career high ground-ball rate as a result. I wrote more on it here, but that's the gist of it

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member