1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So my car might be totaled

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Aug 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. what

what Member

I really liked the Smart Car. I bought it because of the gas mileage and it is a hatchback, I also like that it has outstanding maneuverability.

I've owed a Fiat 500. A Smart car. I might be getting a Mini Cooper next. Also, if you are interested to know, the 2nd generation Smart Cars, which was before 2016, are in my opinion the better car.

The 2016 Smart Cars have a terrible air condition and radio design (flat buttons that are hard to understand and just plain annoying) and are very difficult to use. The car itself also drives more like a sedan than a nimble Smart, due to the larger wheel base and the larger steering wheel, having to turn the wheel several more revolutions to do what the earlier smarts did with a lot less turning of the wheel.

Vs. the Fiat 500.
    Things that I didn't like about the Smart is that I liked about the Fiat 500 is the ease of use with the hatchback and side doors--when you unlock the doors on a Smart, the passenger door and the hatchback don't unlock. You have to give it an extra click for each one. Whereas the Fiat 500 doesn't have that problem. It's a lot easier to use since the hatch opens easily. Also, Fiat has a vastly superior computer alert system and gives you tons of info. One example, if your tire pressure is low, the Fiat will tell you which one is low. The smart won't. In fact with the smart you could be 8 to 10 pounds under tire pressure and the car won't tell you. It's pretty useless.

Things that the Smart is better at Vs. the fiat 500, is mainly the ground clears is a big one. The Fiat 500 sits really low to the ground which can cause problems on these terrible Texas roads. If you drive the Fiat a lot and into a lot of places like I do, you are bound to dent it up around the side doors. The Smart doesn't have that same problem.

I can't really say which car I like best. The fiat is much easier to use and it is cooler looking, but it also isn't built nearly as good and certainly not for a work vehicle. The Smart Car isn't all that smart with a lot of things, which is annoying as hell, but I still liked it.

2. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iybA7b-da9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I am sorry for you

But this just goes to show that Memphis has the worst drivers of any city.

4. what

what Member

It's probably all well and goof that this is happening. I can get a newer car for the same price with a lot less mileage which gives me a warranty.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Would a smartcar have back speakers?

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's the spirit. Sucks, I'm sure. Sorry to hear of your loss, as well as just the inconvenience of the accident day and the followup mess.

Or did a State Farm babe pop into your smashed Smart Car to help. That would be cool. So cramped she materializes with her legs on the ceiling and head in your lap.

7. mclawson

mclawson Member

Buy it back from the insurance company and do a Hayabusa engine swap.