1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So McHale thinks our bench can overcome a 17 point deficit against Memphis' starters?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mig0s, Mar 29, 2013.

1. mig0s

mig0s Member

Yes, the 10-2 run against their bench was great. Hollins calls a time out and started to put back his starters in to adjust. However, our almighty McHale keeps our bench for the entire 4th quarter with only a 9 point deficit? Even the Grizzlies commentators don't understand what was going on. We got Beverley/Anderson/Robinson against Conley/Allen/Gasol? Are you f***king kidding me?

Our starters might have made a comeback because Harden/Lin/Parson are talented and proven players. Even though they had a bad game they have the ability to make a comeback after watching our bench cut the deficit.

I can't imagine how well would we do if we had JVG or Adelman.

/rant

2. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Mchale did the right thing. Team would've been down by 40 if not.

3. Convictedstupid

A loss is a loss.

Why not try the starters at the 7 minute mark. They can't make up their poor effort while on the bench.

4. mig0s

mig0s Member

so our starters would lose by 31 points in less than a 12 minutes?

1 person likes this.
  5. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Rest the starters, who play way too much anyways, in a game the starters did not show up to play.

1 person likes this.
  6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It was not about winning the game, it was about sending a message to the starters. If you don't try you don't play.

1 person likes this.
  7. mig0s

mig0s Member

you can send a message to the starters by another way when you are fighting to stay in the playoffs race.

8. Code Red

Code Red Member

He was obviously sending a message to the starters to play harder.

9. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

I think it was a good decision to run the team, Delfino and Andersen missed a couple of 3's otherwise we would have been right in it.

The defense this team provided was a much better effort. Noticably Andersen.

I think McHale finally had it with Harden's defence atleast I hope which will bring more responisbility onto him for the future games.

He was piss poor today ball watching way to much.

Lin is starting to look like crap the last couple of games as well going back to the early season indecision.

Andersen needs to get more burn.

10. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I liked it, sends a message all while resting them for tomorrows game.

11. Code Red

Code Red Member

He's just showing that he's an old-fashion hard ass coach. If you don't play hard for him, he's not happy and doesn't care.

12. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Honestly, I think Kevin would've but this was more of a lesson. If anything, it showed Mchale was tired of seeing them not show up.

13. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

NO. Our starters didn't deserve to come back, and our bench deserved to play on.

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

It was basically an FU to the starters. Which tbh i think they deserved.

15. dookiester

dookiester Member

glad he didnt put the starters back in. people have been clamoring for mchale to look at the bigger picture by doing things like giving the rookies more time, expanding the rotation, etc. this is one of the ways mchale shows he does see the bigger picture. sending a message to the starters is more important than one win (which the starters wouldve lost anyway).

play hard, play defense, or dont play at all. honestly i wish he used the bench as a weapon more often. harden in particular needs a wake up call.

16. Convictedstupid

As someone else said, we're in the dead heat of a playoff run. You have to try and win every game. Trying to win every game, to me, is much more important than punishing your starters (2 of which didn't play that bad of a game).

17. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

you guys are wrong, McHale thinks he is Popovich.

18. dmoneybangbang

I get what McHale did, but we had a legitimate shot still at the 4-5 minute mark. It was the wrong move and it directly cost us the game.

The starters are better players, plain and simple. The bench did a great job in bringing the energy and getting the Rockets back in the game, but it is simply sound strategy to bring the starters back in a meaningful way if that game is ~10 pts away with 5 minutes away.

19. MOHRocketeer

MOHRocketeer Rookie

They could have won this game. It was a 3 possession game with 6-7 minutes left. Is it really worth it to lose on purpose to send some sort of "message" to the starters?

1 person likes this.
  20. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

The Grizzlies announcers were completely befuddled by McHale not putting in his best players to finish out a winnable game. But I guess they are LOF too since anyone who criticizes Mchale must be one...

1 person likes this.