1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I've decided to finally pop the question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Nov 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Any suggestions on where to purchase good quality diamonds where they won't charge me an arm and a leg?

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Put the ring on her ass with a loaf of bread and take a pic for the brehs to judge

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

No Ragrets!

4. dragician

dragician Member

5. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

whiteflash.com - This one is good because they're in houston, so you can actually go and see the diamond (or multiple diamonds) before you buy.

bluenile.com - Lots of good info on this site.

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I understand that people like the ceremony and pageantry of otherwise meaningless events. That said, don't waste huge money on a wedding and a ring. If she's pissed then you're lucky she showed her ass before you married her.

Simple rings, simple wedding, and live happily ever after.

7. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

bluenile.com and brilliance.com.

I got my wife's diamond from Brilliance.com. Their customer service is great, and they helped me through the process of picking out the right stone.

Know about the 4 C's - this will determine the quality and cost of the diamond.

In my opinion, you'll get more bang for your buck by ordering the diamond online through Brilliance or Bluenile and then having a local (reputable) jeweler set it in the ring you choose. I went with Jared for that.

Also, some general advice - don't listen to those that aren't married or divorced for marital advice. Get advice from those that have had a long, happy, and successful marriage - as i'm sure this is what you want. Just like you wouldn't take advice from someone who has never passed their CPA exam. So i wouldnt listen to those that are posting all their negative views on marriage (whether they're trying to be funny/sarcastic or not).

8. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bluenile is certainly a good place for information gathering. It's easy to get caught up in the highest graded diamonds but stick to what just looks good to your eye.

I had good luck at Reiners Jewelry. The guy actually quoted me the wrong price but stuck by his word even though it was a pretty decent amount.

1 person likes this.
  10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Thanks. I actually looked them up earlier. I may give them a try this weekend.

11. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Don't listen to the guys saying marriage is a mistake. If you found someone who makes you feel it's worth it then go all in. Congratulations man.

I ended up going to a family jeweler that my grandparents had used for years. Feel like I got a fair deal, nothing incredible. If you want a nice diamond you will pay for it. I went for quality over karat size and am happy with the decision. You don't want your girl putting her ring next to a friend's and noticing it looks yellow.

12. Cranberry_Juice

I went with Diamond Cutters International. Pretty nice group and not so pushy.

13. knits stekcor

knits stekcor Member

I recommend Whiteflash as well. You get a private appointment at their office on Richmond, and their sales guy is patient and is not pushy in the least bit. I got the feeling that he couldn't care less if I decided to buy or not, as Whiteflash gets 99% of their revenues from Internet sales.

Pricescope.com forums is your best resource for diamond education. Spend a couple days reading posts on there, and you should be armed with enough knowledge to make a good purchase.

14. MystikArkitect

This. I proposed without a ring and let her pick it out. Went to 4 or 5 stores and got a ring at Nazaars that she loves and still gets compliments on.

Make sure you're on the same page when it comes to money, kids and that you don't drag each other down socially and you'll be fine.

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Found a ring. Should be getting it within the next week. Now to figure out how to pop the question.

16. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Not sure how old you are or your need to immediately have kids, but I recommend holding off on at least your first 4 -5 years of marriage. Having traveled the world and enjoying traveling with my significant other prior to kids was the best choice I ever made. Now that I have children, I'm not able to do that at all

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm 26 (27 in March) and my gf just turned 24. That is definitely something we've talked about. There's so much we want to see and do before we even entertain the idea of children.