1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So is James Harden a PG forever?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, May 25, 2017.

?

Harden Point Guard for life?

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

He could be a PG13. That could be his branding if Paul George didn't already use it.

Rated R superstar?

2. alethios

alethios Member

To me, he's always been a combo guard, who has to have the ball in his hands to create on offense. His ability to create on offense both for himself and his teammates has blurred the lines of what a PG vs a SG is. So, I'll call him a PSG or an SPG.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I mean, was MJ a 1 or a 2? How about AI?

I think what defined Harden as a PG this season was he did have a pass first attitude earlier in games. He really did look to set his teammates up more so than score. In previous seasons I felt like it was more of a mix, even teetering on Harden having to score first, then worry about his teammates. The changes are subtle, but the consequences as we saw were dramatic.

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

[​IMG]

LFE171 likes this.
  5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yes until we sign Paul George...

6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I'm going to wait for the weekly @basketballholic newsletter to submit my vote

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

My meaning of the term unfortunate stems from the idea it would be great if he could trust his teammates a few possessions a game to initiate something and have him off the ball and work his way into the post to receive it.

Throw a different wrinkle into the offense.

Unfortunate in the sense that I haven't seen him want to do anything other than dribble dribble dribble shoot a contested shot when the intensity picks up.

Also don't understand why you brought up LeBron. LeBron doesn't need to play off the ball because he has proven many a time when the going gets tough (aka the Playoffs) he picks up his game. Comparing late game in the Playoffs Harden to late game in the Playoffs LeBron.... LOL.

9. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

HOF spotted

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

What the... Harden has only been here a fraction of the years I've been a fan. Are you right in the head?

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Solid idea....

....how about a back-to-the-basket post player?

It will take the Rockets offense to the next level.

12. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Winning an N
    Winning an NBA championship.

It's not about stats. It's about making the players around you better. And a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio is not making the players around him better. Jordan learned that. Kobe learned that. If Harden wants to be great, he must learn that. Believe me, I love me some James Harden, but he won't be great until he becomes a winner in the playoffs.

Personally, I think Harden is a tweener but he is more of a shooting / scoring guard than a passing guard. All the great shooting guards go thru this phase and a switch to point guard has not been the answer. We need a coach to teach Harden discipline and install an offensive game plan the point guard will execute such that Harden and others will be the beneficiaries of and trust in. Unfortunately as much as I love Pat Bev, he is also not a true point guard and thus not the answer.

The problem with today's NBA is that if we get a true coach who will instill discipline, it might scare away free agents and prevent Harden and others from re signing. The collective bargaining agreement has had a huge impact on today's NBA dynamic. There is a reason why Pat Riley didn't coach the Heat IMHO.

Anyways, I truly believe James is a shooting guard in need of a true point guard who he can truly trust and believe in. If he gets that and an effective offensive and defensive strategy installed, I think the Rockets will reach new heights.

I'm not close to satisfied with this season's outcome and I hope the team isn't either.

Go Rockets!

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Stopped reading at first line and went and put on a Red Hot Chili Peppers CD while waiting for the new season of the West Wing to come on cuz I couldn't figure out how to work my TIVO.

This is why Shaq/Kenny/Charles are on TV to entertain and feud and laugh about gone fishing pictures despite being nominal analysts.

14. Garner

Garner Member

This will probably go the way of Tim Duncan -- guy played the majority of his career as a Center, but came into the league as a PF.

Is referred to as one of the greatest PFs of all time.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I know it won't happen but it would nice to get Paul and move James back to SG

16. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

No. He's actually an idiot

17. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Just like how you read all other posts. One sentence and mind made up lol. Have fun with your music and TV ;)

basketballholic likes this.
  18. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I can agree with this, it's all about which positions you can guard. That's how you get the most advantages on offense. If you are a 7 foot guy who can guard shooting guards and small forwards, then you put your team and a huge advantage. ESPECIALLY if you can shoot the open three.

if you can't shoot the three then your team will most likely have to play through that person in the post when he is in the game for most possessions. if he can shoot the open three then they don't have to play through him most of the time on offense and they can use him as a bail out on offense because of his sheer size. however, you have to put in more big guys up front that way the other team cant just switch matchups. for example

beverley
    harden
    yi
    NeNe
    Capela

the other team is forced to guard a big with a small giving up an advantage on the boards and post scoring. just an example. if you have an advantage on offense every time down that you do not have to work for, then you always have a bailout out option meaning more shots, higher efficiency, more rebounds, less turnovers, less transition opportunities dor the opponent, etc.

19. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

if danny green is at the three can someone like capela guard him? if so, then the above would work. against someone like andre roberson you have to give it a shot because you can play way off him.

also, this would not really work unless capela knew how to use his size in the post to score and knocked down his free throws.

20. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

You have been cursed by ISOBall