1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So. Is D-Mo a future all-star if he keeps improving like he is?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ns575, May 28, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The only way to compare someone getting starter minutes to someone that hasn't gotten starter minutes very often is with a standardized metric like per 36...you should be able to understand that.

Part of your assumption was that DMo could average 20 points per game...well if he was averaging 20 points per game while playing plus defense starting for a perennial contender, I highly doubt the thing stopping him from being an all star would be that he was only averaging 7 or 8 boards a game.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You should. Rockets were notoriously bad at drafting or acquiring PFs.....

Spots that have the least allstars for the Rox.... should be easily PG and PF

Those two positions are also the most talked about topic in this thread in recent years.

3. hakeemthagreat

Man you guys gotta serious crush on DMo. Interesting to see next year when you realize he's just a average role player:rolleyes:

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Plus defender and perennial contender.... yeah that helps.

DMO is an average defender overall. He might be plus positionally, but weak side and rim protection is a minus.

If you wanna compare players, Dirk is a horrible example. Shareef Abdur-Rahim comes to mind in this conversation. Probably a little better than DMO, but quite similar caliber in overall talent. He's a 1x All-Star.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I didn't see any reason Draymond Green would be a starter this year either. But not only did he accomplish that, he played at an all-star level. He's a year older than D-Mo.

I'm not saying D-Mo will be an all-star, but I can't rule it out. With stories like Draymond Green, Hassan Whiteside and DeMarre Carroll, it's getting harder and harder to rule out anyway that shows potential.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah pretty much.

It's not like DMo is some scrub with no skills. He's a skilled up player and for him now it's about honing those skills and mastering them.

If this was Asik, I'd agree. Asik doesn't have very many elite skills. His strengths are pretty much being big and somewhat mobile and end there. There was always a ceiling on him and players like him.

7. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Member

It's not like it's all-star or bust. You also have to consider fit. He brings things to a table you won't get out of Dwight, and vice versa. He can shoot the 3, has actual post moves, and can make some slick passes. All these things fit perfectly next to Dwight.

Also, after watching Jones look so lost in the playoffs, its REALLY hard not to wish dmo was still healthy. Jones did get fouled on like 70% of his makes and got an and-1 on 5%, so that had to wreck his confidence, but...

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

We're talking about making the All Star team, not beating out Terrence Jones and Josh Smith.

9. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

He could be a star 20 yrs ago. But nowadays it's really hard. This is a guard-friendly league.

10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I suppose anything could happen, but I would be very, very, very (albeit pleasantly) surprised.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Don't let "trends" fool you, bro.

Dwight was recently a Top 5 player despite having zero post game, zero shooting touch, and zero passing skills.
    Bigs will always be supreme.

Picture DMO with Howard's athleticsm and defense.

Exactly

#91 Houstunna, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if we are #1 in the west and he's a top 3 scorer for us... he's got a chance.

he wont make it on numbers alone, he would only have a chance if he's on the #1 team and playing a key role.

13. dje243

dje243 Member

He won't make an all star team but that doesn't mean he's incapable of All star production. He hasn't hit his ceiling yet. The confidence and work ethic is there.

14. cruwinas_lawona

He has potential. He has unique size and skill set for a PF. I watched him developing since young days, but didn't expect him to play like he played this season.
    He is deceptively quick. If his post moves will become automatic - watch out. He has confidence, good bbiq and trains hard.

15. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

No, but that doesn't mean he won't be a really good player.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The reason we believe DMo will continue to improve is that he has been improving in the last two season. The improvement this past season was very encouraging.

He will never be good at rebounding. I've never seen a bad NBA rebounder become good. You either have it or you don't. One can only improve marginally at this level.

His offense can still improve a lot, IF the team is willing to device plays for him, and/or IF he becomes aggressive (or selfish) enough to demand the ball. His 3pt shot has become more reliable. Shooting is one thing that can be improved.

He has been a solid defender. He can be even better by refining some of his habits. He will never be a good shot blocker.

I don't see him becoming an all star, unless he becomes a 20plus-point scorer. But being all star is more about boxscore numbers than how a guy really helps his team win. DMo is a valuable player to have and he is going to bet better. But he is the kind of player who needs a system to thrive. He can't just "get his" to become a star.

17. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I believe this guy can eventually be our third star. I don't see any unfiixable weakness in his game

18. OpenLayup-Why3?

HAHAHA. I love how everyone is saying cautious NO. I guess people learned that making bold statements (DMO is the worst player in NBA thread) with DMO can backfire.
    I'm probably the biggest DMO fan in this forum and I say there's no chance DMO becomes an all star. Just like Ryan Anderson won't get to AS game when pels make the finals. DMO is just not the type to go to all stars game, not even on east conf. I am crazy happy how he improved his play this year, I literally cried a lot this year with tears of joy when he was beasting, but such jumps are not sustainable. I'm not even sure if he can sustain his current game