1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So. Is D-Mo a future all-star if he keeps improving like he is?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ns575, May 28, 2015.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You say that as if Lillard is not skilled? He's one of the best shooters in the league.

Yeah well Gobert's a center so I'm judging him differently. Also with the removal of the center position you are probably going to get one center voted in on each side, lucky if it will be two.

I mean Jordan didn't make the team this season.

I know, my point is that it's a bit too early in his career to be placing ceilings on him I feel. To say he can never do this or that, no one ever expected Marc Gasol to be what he is today.

My thing with Dmo is he has a skillset that will get better with time and experience. His shot could get drastically better and his post moves will be refined with time and experience.

In a world where the Rockets are a team competing for the #1 seed year in and year out (hopefully) I could see cases where the team is doing so well that Dmo is rewarded for his play on a good team.

2. malakas

malakas Member

Lillard is one of the best shooters???????????? In what world?

And I didn't say that DMO has capped his potential..I said that he can have an all star level contribution but I don't see him getting voted as an All star in the West.
    In the East he could.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think dmo could realistically average 18/7.5/4.5 is that enough to be "all star" I dunno but he has the potential to be a top 5 PF .

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree with you. He is just not that popular outside of Houston. Valan is more popular around the league than he is.

If he is not voted in as a starter, it will be hard to convince coaches to vote him in unless he is clearly the best or second best at that position consistently in the West.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

In the NBA world? From 3 Lillard is one of the best, had a really bad 2nd half of the season though.

Well I'm responding to people that think his potential is capped. Yeah it won't be easy to make a all-star team but the guy has skills that players would dream to have. He just has to master his skillset, which isn't easy to do but still, he's still young enough for it to all click.

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Lot of delusion on Clutchfans.

Dmo wouldn't start at PF for any top 9 West team besides Houston.

7. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Who cares if he is an all-star. The important thing is that he plays like an all-star

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has a beautifull post game, sound skills and improved in the regular season.

He never played much in the offseason. What is befuddling is that people automatically think he will do very well in the playoffs.

That does not automatically add up for me. Luis Scola won big with Argentina and he could not guard or score against top competition in the playoffs every single time.

#Playoff intensity

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Who wins one on one. Black Griffin or White Howard?

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Looking at strength and explosion Blake Griffin is the Beige Howard.

His game reminds me more of Young Howard than the Euro's finesse game

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But he'd start on a team that is #2 in the west...

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Love DMO and happy to have him... wish he could've suited up these playoffs because he would've made a difference. However, he wouldn't even make All-Star in the East. He might could average 20 ppg, but his rebound numbers would be too low.

I will declare he has a Top 5 post game in the entire league. Not saying much nowadays, but he's ballin in that catagory. He served Mark Gasol, DeAndre, pretty much everyone who guarded him. His 3 ball even came around this season too.

Hopefully his back heals well enough to not hender his career.

#72 Houstunna, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, no way a power forward averaging only 7.4 or fewer rebounds per 36 minutes could make the All Star game in the West

[​IMG]

14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Dirk has averaged more than 20 ppg... a lot more. He's been a perinatal All-Star for years and now gets votes out of habit.

You know this, man!!

Do better..... you're slacking

Lmao at using Per 36... DMO averaged 5.9 rebs, REAL minutes

#74 Houstunna, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He was so bad in his second year that the huge leap he took just seem like he can get to Allstar....

I can understand where you are going with this but Rockets had better PFs at one point

Scolandry

Marc Gasol is more of a bruiser and less of a finesse guy while still being skilled for his size

They are nothing alike at this point.

I would trust Morey's talent evaluation a lot more if Donuts would have been a 2nd rounder but he is a late 1st rounder.

And he has yet to prove that other than Aaron Brooks who was only stellar in 1 season, he can find gems there.

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I like this response.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Dirk has never been a good rebounder though, he's only averaging 8.1 rebounds per 36 minutes for his entire career....only .6 higher than DMo's current career average. Obviously it's an area he needs to work on, but his making or not making the all star game one day will have nothing to do with his rebounding or lack of rebounding and that was my point.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't understand the point of the Rockets having better PFs before Dmo? Rockets have had better centers than Dwight too.

I'm talking about here and now though. Not his second year, and although Dmo is a mid first round pick (not late 1st round) he dropped. Not like it matters, as he's a European player those players do tend to fall sometimes.

He's 24 and this is his 2nd year of experience, I highly doubt this past year is as good as he's going to be.

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

If you're using Per 36, you already lost.

Dirk averaged a double-double or very near a double-double for multiple seasons.

Also, keep in mind everything I said. It wasn't just low rebounds. .. it's points too.

If a PF only averaged 5 rebounds, he could make All-Star if he coupled that with 28 ppg.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

In terms of DMO's prospect status.... He was widely considered a top 5 talent . The year before he entered the draft he would have been selected in the top 5. The year he was drafted he had bad workouts which caused him to drop. The main concerns about dmo echoed the concerns most GM 's have about european big men . His skillset , is undoubtably among the rarest in the game. This season his comfort within the game grew and he was able to demonstrate these skills . 3 point shooting , post game, passing ability, intelligence . Dmo is in elite company in terms of skillset for his size . While the league appears to be downsizing and emphasizing ball handling among 4's . Dmo's skills are equally useful especially given his outstanding positional defensive principles . The biggest question with dmo now is health. And on that subject I cannot make an informed statement . But if he comes back 100 percent next season he will prove doubters wrong and even surprise his supporters with his level of play. He is a hybrid of pau , al Jefferson , millsap and other bigs but is entirely his own player and his willingness to pass and ability to hit 3's may be the best in the league for a 4.